Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Matt Layman
⁦‪@mattjlayman‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

So, on the day that the Coyotes are set to travel to Edmonton for the postseason, interim GM Steve Sullivan takes over, per Elliotte's report here.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
What a mess :/ This team has literally been in disarray for well over a decade. Whether it is relocation, or arena, or owner (or now GM weirdness), it always seems to be something.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
“The past four years have been the most enjoyable of my life,” Chayka said in a statement. “In Arizona, I became a husband and a father, while working as hard as possible to make the Coyotes a Stanley Cup contender. I love our players, coaches, staff and fans and I very much wish I could be with the team in Edmonton. Sadly, the situation created by ownership made that an impossibility.

“That’s all I intend to say on this matter for now. A fuller, more detailed explanation may be necessary in the near future.”
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...ka-steps-arizona-gm-week-qualifier/112431722/

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So two sides to every story but according to 12 News Chayka was given permission by Coyotes to pursue an opportunity outside of NHL but turns out it was an offer from another NHL club. When team found out they reneged their blessing of course due to being misled, allegedly.

If offer was from another team, Chayka could have just resigned like he just did, not sure why he would have to lie when it would have came out. Had club not found out until he finalized deal with new club then I'm sure there would have been some tampering issues Chayka and his new club would have faced so good thing ARZ found out?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmm my read is that Chayka is an arrogant backstabbing conniving POS. Even in an article seemingly disparaging the coyotes for their handling of his leaving their team I came away with the impression that Chayka did the team dirty and has zero loyalty. Buyer beware with that guy.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29555087/why-were-arizona-coyotes-angry-gm-john-chayka-quit

After it appeared things remained status quo for Chayka and the Coyotes, he told Meruelo that he wanted to leave for an opportunity with that team: a job that would be a step up from NHL GM, into a role overseeing aspects of other sports teams in the owner's portfolio.

According to an NHL source, that team was the New Jersey Devils, whose owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer own the Philadelphia 76ers, Crystal Palace FC, multiple minor league teams, an esports team and, potentially in the future, the New York Mets.

The Devils had an interim GM, Tom Fitzgerald, until July 9, when they elevated him to the job permanently. The ownership group also fit Chayka's professional philosophy, embracing analytics in each of their organizations. That includes the Devils, who have noted analytics analysts Matt Cane and Tyler Dellow working in that department.

Pretty in depth read about what happened at the link.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Chayka came off poorly in all the reporting I've seen. Meruelo didn't pull any punches in that press release either so it was clearly personal to him and he absolutely was sending a message to others. I'm sure more info will be forthcoming, but man, what a terrible time for this all to come out. One of these days this team has to catch a break!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Chayka came off poorly in all the reporting I've seen. Meruelo didn't pull any punches in that press release either so it was clearly personal to him and he absolutely was sending a message to others. I'm sure more info will be forthcoming, but man, what a terrible time for this all to come out. One of these days this team has to catch a break!
No kidding. :stick: