What happened to Isaiah Simmons?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Agreed but they aren't going to give much game time to a guy who gave up 2 TDs in his first 12 snaps while making a playoff run.
This is also not true. He gave up one TD for sure but there should have been help there to stop that td. The second one was not in him outside man has the outside coverage. Basic stuff man.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
LOVE LOVE LOVE that he made the big play to set up the win. Gotta be a major confidence rebuilder for a guy who was all world in college and might have been doubting himself early in his career.

Awesome. Just awesome W tonight.
Well said.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He gave up a five yard pass to Mostert. Then, Mostert ran literally as fast as Usain Bolt to get away. Normally wouldn't have been as big an issue. Not a great play, but we've hardly seen Simmons since, until this past game and he still only got a few plays in. These coaches don't seem to want to ever rest their starters, and won't just hand him the spot.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hopefully this interception allows them to play Simmons in some blowouts or comfortable leads... that’s the next step in his progression and I think we’ll see him if we Jets/Cowboys the Dolphins

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hopefully this interception allows them to play Simmons in some blowouts or comfortable leads... that’s the next step in his progression and I think we’ll see him if we Jets/Cowboys the Dolphins
Nah, he's already gotten blowout win snaps this year. We need him to start getting some meaningful snaps. Even if it only starts with like 20 a game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you come up with this stuff. Present a theory as fact?

I don't know. By watching him maybe? Have you actually watched him play? Why do you think they aren't playing the 6'4" LB that runs a 4.4? Because he parked in the wrong spot?

It's blatantly obvious to anyone watching him pre and post snap that he's having mental issues. Several times Budda or Hicks have had to tell him where to line up pre snap because he didn't know, and then there are the obvious times he messed up his assignments, especially earlier on. He's not doing either of those things because he's getting it mentally.

When you see him get snaps now he has much more simple assignments in specific game situations. Vance uses him most often in his 0-6-5 front as he did on Sunday. Line up over the G and either blitz or drop back into zone coverage. Occasionally a specific man assignment such as man coverage on Dalton Schulz. He gives him nothing where he has to go out there and think, as he did earlier in the year that led to some big mistakes.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know. By watching him maybe? Have you actually watched him play? Why do you think they aren't playing the 6'4" LB that runs a 4.4? Because he parked in the wrong spot?

It's blatantly obvious to anyone watching him pre and post snap that he's having mental issues. Several times Budda or Hicks have had to tell him where to line up pre snap because he didn't know, and then there are the obvious times he messed up his assignments, especially earlier on. He's not doing either of those things because he's getting it mentally.

When you see him get snaps now he has much more simple assignments in specific game situations. Vance uses him most often in his 0-6-5 front as he did on Sunday. Line up over the G and either blitz or drop back into zone coverage. Occasionally a specific man assignment such as man coverage on Dalton Schulz. He gives him nothing where he has to go out there and think, as he did earlier in the year that led to some big mistakes.
Thats Joseph fault, he should have to be line up where is more comfortable, he has freaking athletic skills, can be our best weapon with playmaking ability, let him play like he was doing for Clemson
Thats why great part of us was questioning if Joseph was the right the coach to use a great asset like Simmons
Do u think Maradona or Messi has been put on the field to follow strictly assignments?
I mean I don't say Simmons is talented like them but he can be our best defensive playmaker if he can focus more on his instict

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thats Joseph fault, he should have to be line up where is more comfortable, he has freaking athletic skills, can be our best weapon with playmaking ability, let him play like he was doing for Clemson
Thats why great part of us was questioning if Joseph was the right the coach to use a great asset like Simmons
Do u think Maradona or Messi has been put on the field to follow strictly assignments?
I mean I don't say Simmons is talented like them but he can be our best defensive playmaker if he can focus more on his instict

All fair points, as you know I've always said he is a safety. They tried to play him as a nickel linebacker which is basically the same as the WLB role he played at Clemson when not playing safety but it didn't go so well in those early games. Might just take some time to adjust but then also do you want you #8 pick to be just a 2 down player?

Simmon is in the exact same situation as Reddick. He does not have the instincts for playing linebacker down at the LOS, nor the strength and technique to get off blocks. He never did that at Clemson. He's a space player, not a contact guy. It's a tough role where you need experience to diagnose the play and react quickly. Reddick could never learn it. Simmons might not either. You would think we would learn to stop drafting athletic none ILB's to play ILB.

When they drafted him I thought it was going to be for SS where I thought he could be a Kam Chancellor level player. I didn't realize they rated Jalen so highly and were going to mess Simmons about.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Ok I'm didn't even read this. So all you got is a theory. Or a jab at me as if I don't watch them. We were season ticket holders 20 years before you even started watching football.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
I have 2 thoughts

1. You need to get him more involved and more comfortable, because him contributing is the most likely in season scenario for the defense to take yet another step.

2. Vance has seemed to have come up with a role for Reddick, after years of underwhelming, that is allowing him to flourish. There is evidence that he can design a role for a player who is kind of between positions.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 thoughts

1. You need to get him more involved and more comfortable, because him contributing is the most likely in season scenario for the defense to take yet another step.

2. Vance has seemed to have come up with a role for Reddick, after years of underwhelming, that is allowing him to flourish. There is evidence that he can design a role for a player who is kind of between positions.

I think Reddick moving to ILB is simply because we finally had two ILB we could play and it was more of a numbers thing. He didnt really create a position for him, they just moved him to a greater positional need.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
Instincts cam be developed. But they are not going to be developed standing on the sideline.

Does that mean some run fits will be missed, for sure, but you have to see if he can learn from that.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
I think Reddick moving to ILB is simply because we finally had two ILB we could play and it was more of a numbers thing. He didnt really create a position for him, they just moved him to a greater positional need.

Maybe it was blind luck. But it would have been easy to write him off once Campbell was signed.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still thinking Reddick would be one of the best OLB in 4/3 defense, never had the opportunity
He has no business playing in the middle and even with Chandler healthy we wouldn't have to watch him there

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He gave up a five yard pass to Mostert. Then, Mostert ran literally as fast as Usain Bolt to get away. Normally wouldn't have been as big an issue. Not a great play, but we've hardly seen Simmons since, until this past game and he still only got a few plays in. These coaches don't seem to want to ever rest their starters, and won't just hand him the spot.

Though Simmons lost containment, Banjo, a backup safety, had a bad angle. Curious if Banjo would had made the tackle, how different Simmons snap count would be?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Though Simmons lost containment, Banjo, a backup safety, had a bad angle. Curious if Banjo would had made the tackle, how different Simmons snap count would be?

Rookie makes mistakes, every of them, he started the first game almost as a starter, then a couple of mistakes and he has been on the bench most of the time
We saw veterans that makes mistakes often, but they keep playing
Not the best way to handle a talented rookie
Last week just 5 snaps? Its unacceptable
And with just 5 snaps he made the most important play of the season so far
Let him play!!! He will make mistakes but if he will be involved more he can turn an average unit in a good one

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Still thinking Reddick would be one of the best OLB in 4/3 defense, never had the opportunity
He has no business playing in the middle and even with Chandler healthy we wouldn't have to watch him there

I agree with you that he is better suited for 4-3 OLB.

I don't think Reddick is a pure 3-4 OLB but have to admit he is playing much better this year. Sucks that the one year he plays well he is a free agent but I can't see giving him a big contract or keeping Kennard for that matter.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok I'm didn't even read this. So all you got is a theory. Or a jab at me as if I don't watch them. We were season ticket holders 20 years before you even started watching football.

Was you watching Simmons 20 years ago?

Guys here keep throwing this up. 8 years is more than enough time to learn the intricacies of football when you watch a lot of it. Do you know more about football in the 80's and 90's? Sure. But I know how the game is played just as well.

Tell me oh sage one. Why isn't our #8 pick elite athletic stud playing more than 20% of snaps if it's not the mental side? It's not because he isn't fast enough, or strong enough.

Oh and every single thing written here is opinion and theory. It amazes how many people bring this up, it's kinda obvious.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with you that he is better suited for 4-3 OLB.

I don't think Reddick is a pure 3-4 OLB but have to admit he is playing much better this year. Sucks that the one year he plays well he is a free agent but I can't see giving him a big contract or keeping Kennard for that matter.

I could see them tagging him and seeing if he can replicate his success.

If you go to free agency to get a starting OLB you are likely guaranteeing a lot of money.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Franchise tag for LB - 15m. No way Reddick gets that.

this isnt an argument to franchise him, because he isnt worth $15mm for one year. But if he keeps playing like he has, i could easily see him getting a multi year deal with more than $15mm in guaranteed money

that said, the cap situation next year creates lots of uncertainty -- so who knows

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was you watching Simmons 20 years ago?

Guys here keep throwing this up. 8 years is more than enough time to learn the intricacies of football when you watch a lot of it. Do you know more about football in the 80's and 90's? Sure. But I know how the game is played just as well.

Tell me oh sage one. Why isn't our #8 pick elite athletic stud playing more than 20% of snaps if it's not the mental side? It's not because he isn't fast enough, or strong enough.

Oh and every single thing written here is opinion and theory. It amazes how many people bring this up, it's kinda obvious.

The "how long I have been watching football" defense is rather silly.