What does Josh Allen have that makes him a potential # 1 pick ?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I realize he has great arm strength.That`s a given fact.But he shows nothing exceptional on anything else? So why is he being touted as the possible top pick in the draft? Being big? So tell me what he does rhat makes him any better than somne of the other QBs?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Almost No one is saying he'll go first. Darnold is pretty much the consensus there, and he's got his flaws as well.

Chances are he'll land in Denver.
@ 5. Well because teams need to groom potential starters. Which he is. Easily.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1

These traits are seen by some as overriding other desired traits such as processing-speed, field-vision, poise under fire etc.
Probably he is good in the interview process especially at the chalkboard explaining plays but probably also Ryan Lindley is good regarding this aspect

OP
OP
B

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I see Josh Allen as Derek Anderson at best.John Skelton at worst.I see no outstanding traits other than Size and arm strength.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's also pretty athletic. He ran a 4.75. Also it's not just a good arm, it's an arm of Zeus.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see Josh Allen as Derek Anderson at best.John Skelton at worst.I see no outstanding traits other than Size and arm strength.
Would you like him if Lamar Jackson wasn't in the draft? :hammer:

You must be registered for see images attach

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I realize he has great arm strength.That`s a given fact.But he shows nothing exceptional on anything else? So why is he being touted as the possible top pick in the draft? Being big? So tell me what he does rhat makes him any better than somne of the other QBs?

teams like allen for a single reason.....

Potential.

he is a prototype QB with all the required traits to be a good QB... he has limited injury history, he has a cannon, his frame should allow him to take more hits than others.... then they look at the level of play, his, his competitions... then the level of coaching...both his and his competitions...

it would make a confident man believe he can fix a few accuracy flaws and mold allen into a long term starter in the NFL.

its like when you find a beat up old 69 camaro in someones barn.... the body is fairly solid, the engine is intact...you start fantasizing in your mind how fast and beautiful you can make that car...how it feels to cruise it down the road...how it feels to have everyone stop and turn just to watch you drive by...

but in getting caught up in the fantasies you overlook the rusted out pans, the slight bend in the frame from a previous accident... the fact that two of the cylinders are rusted to the pistons....

it looks great on the surface...and it could actually be great... but there are unknowns hiding under the surface which may make it harder to build than you thought...or may even make it impossible

does all that stop you from paying the old guy the $1000 he wants?? or do you take the chance and have confidence you can make this your dream car??

some team will take the chance on Josh Allen... not so sure I would

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the verdict on Allen is cut and dried.

He could turn out to be a victim of his flaws. Or he could overcome them and wind up leading his team to a Super Bowl.

My point isn't to avoid passing judgment on Allen - rather to caution against being overly "certain."

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I have written about that in another post, and the short version is that there are multiple reasons. One is that people buys his personality and approach to being the quarterback of a team. Another is that he almost singlehanded changed the culture at Wyoming. For years he has played in the same pro style-offense that contributed to Carson Wentz’ relatively smooth transition from college to the pros. Allen is supposedly bright and good at the chalkboard.

I am not sure that Allen will be a success, but there certainly is a lot of things to like about him.

Another thing I find interesting is that a lot of analyst and fans write off Allen because of his deficiencies. At the same time those same people tend to completely ignore how many USC-quarterbacks has failed in the NFL, or how many short quarterbacks has failed in the NFL, or how many running quarterbacks has failed in the NFL. I haven’t looked it up, but it wouldn’t even surprise me if more quarterbacks-types with deficiencies like Allen’s has had success at the NFL-level than those that have the same obstacles as some other highly touted quarterbacks in this draftclass. My point is that it doesn’t matter to me why a draft prospect becomes a bust if it happens, and all the prospects has obstacles that are equally hard to overcome to Allen’s.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
You can't teach Size/Arm/Athletic ability/ Intelligence any team drafting him is betting they can teach or coach out the flaws. I personally would not risk my job if I were a GM. I'd risk that on Mayfield with the top guys a couple others later in the draft I really like also and would over draft them by a round to get them.

OP
OP
B

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Would you like him if Lamar Jackson wasn't in the draft? :hammer:

Lamar Jackson doesn't have anything to do with this question.IMHO the hoopla about Allen doesn't fit what I see on the field.I see a Great arm QB who has size and decent mobility who failed to impress playing against sub par teams.Highly overpriced new car.

You must be registered for see images attach
Wax

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
its like when you find a beat up old 69 camaro in someones barn....
The difference is that with a '69 Camaro I know I can transform it into the car of my dreams. It may take more time, effort and money than originally anticipated, but I know it will happen. Not so with Josh Allen. No matter how much a team invests in him, he may be destined to another name on the 1st round bust list.

FWIW, WalterFootball.com rumors has the Browns leaning Josh Allen with the 1st pick in the draft.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The difference is that with a '69 Camaro I know I can transform it into the car of my dreams. It may take more time, effort and money than originally anticipated, but I know it will happen. Not so with Josh Allen. No matter how much a team invests in him, he may be destined to another name on the 1st round bust list.

FWIW, WalterFootball.com rumors has the Browns leaning Josh Allen with the 1st pick in the draft.
I understand the point you guys are shooting for but we're talking about 1/32 in the world. If Allen pans out, it'll be a lot more special than a '69 Camaro!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

he may be... but some coach out there might just see him exactly the way you do that camaro....dead certain he can transform him into the QB of his dreams... that was the point...

I don't by the way...lol

too much risk to Josh Allen for my blood...I dont like the way he jumped right on board with the carson wentz comparisons...that kid is more than happy to ride wentz's coat tails into the nfl.... I would rather have a guy who wants to get drafted on his own merits

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I understand the point you guys are shooting for but we're talking about 1/32 in the world. If Allen pans out, it'll be a lot more special than a '69 Camaro!
well...it obviously doesnt rate a 67 shelby GT500 convertible...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard