What did you expect from Watson as the coach?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The post was to point out to Steve that the world I'm living on is a bit more cynical - and realistic - than his but I get where you're coming from.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everyone thinks they're realistic, few really are. But I'll acknowledge your edge in cynicism.

Errntknght

Reaction score
He loves Ulis and thinks he'll be a great HC someday??? Does he think he's teaching Ulis a necessary 'life lesson' by keeping him on such a short leash? Hopefully Tyler's brain is busy figuring out all the things he can add to the offense within Watson's scheme - thats quite a challenge.

It was good to see that he understands that the shortest route to playoffs lies with the youngsters, but what twisted logic leads from that to playing the vets as much as possible. (This line really threw me, "I have to kill my selfishness. As a coach, it's, "Let's win now."" Geez, Earl, go ahead and be selfish if that's what it takes to do the smart thing!)

I was glad to hear him say that he's trying to win now - I thought that was true but I thought it was possible he was being given rather detailed instructions on how to proceed. Now we can go ahead and judge him on that basis and I have to say I don't think he's doing a great job. For starters he should play Alan Williams in place of Len on the second unit much of the time - Len at his best is probably better than Williams but he sucks on the second unit. Play Ulis anytime Booker will have to be the chief playmaker. Heck, I'd give Derrick Jones a shot when the team energy needs a lift, which happens most games. As long as you're playing vets you could add a few plays to mix things up a bit on offense.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Just name one player that has got better since Watson became coach?

Why in the world does he ever player Tucker? Why in the world did we sign the great Jared Dudley. It is a shame that Barbosa has to play with this group. The Rockets should have signed him.

Why aren't Chriss, Bender and Ulis getting more minutes. They will get less minutes when Warren gets healthy.

This guy is a joke. Another horrible decision by the worst owner in sports history.

Go Rockets. Check them out, they are fun to watch and the coach down there plays his bench, plays his youngsters, they share the ball and they play hard.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score

Why in the world does he ever player Tucker? Why in the world did we sign the great Jared Dudley. It is a shame that Barbosa has to play with this group. The Rockets should have signed him.

Why aren't Chriss, Bender and Ulis getting more minutes. They will get less minutes when Warren gets healthy.

This guy is a joke. Another horrible decision by the worst owner in sports history.

Go Rockets. Check them out, they are fun to watch and the coach down there plays his bench, plays his youngsters, they share the ball and they play hard.

The Suns missed a golden opportunity by not re-hiring Mike. He has the Rockets playing at a high-octane level. Instead, the Suns hire a nobody coach on the cheap. You get what you pay for. And before everybody says, but, but, but, the Rockets have Harding! Well, Mike also had Melo, and then Kobe. What happened in NY & LA is that those teams never bought into Mikes system. The Rockets did buy in and you see the difference. 18-7. That could have been the Suns this year. But No!!!!!!!!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A lot to disagree with in this post.

I do agree about Tucker, but why the hate for Dudley? He's one of the most consistent players on the team and is a good influence. You can't field a team with nothing but rookies on it--it's what made the 6ers so bad for so long.

Bender and Ulis can't really get much less minutes, considering they are getting next to nothing. Chriss doesn't play Warren's position. If anything, the hope is that Tucker will be the big loser when Warren comes back. Let's hope.

Sounds like you don't know much about sports history. Sarver is bad, sure. But worst owner in history? Dramatic.

Another D'Antoni fan? Ugh.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns missed a golden opportunity by not re-hiring Mike. He has the Rockets playing at a high-octane level. Instead, the Suns hire a nobody coach on the cheap. You get what you pay for. And before everybody says, but, but, but, the Rockets have Harding! Well, Mike also had Melo, and then Kobe. What happened in NY & LA is that those teams never bought into Mikes system. The Rockets did buy in and you see the difference. 18-7. That could have been the Suns this year. But No!!!!!!!!
LOL, you think D'Antoni could make this team 18-7 this year? That's ridiculous.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
LOL, you think D'Antoni could make this team 18-7 this year? That's ridiculous.

Why not? Sure the hell would have been a lot better than it is now! Its ridiculous you think otherwise. You enjoy your sucky teams decisions going forward. Which is nowhere.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Watson is not a good coach and it's evident by the disorganization of the plays, particularly on defense. He should be fired at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Are you serious? This team has 2 or 3 good players and then a bunch of rookies and over-the-hill veterans. There's NO WAY this group could be 18-7, especially with Mike D'Antoni as coach.
Agreed...and there's really no arguing it. D'Antoni...while a better coach than Watson...certainly wouldn't have a winning record with the Suns roster right now. They would be more exciting to watch...maybe...but that's about the only positive I can think of.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Are you serious? This team has 2 or 3 good players and then a bunch of rookies and over-the-hill veterans. There's NO WAY this group could be 18-7, especially with Mike D'Antoni as coach.

Besides harden who have the Rockets got? The Suns might of had the same record, We'll never know. But like I did say, theyd be a hell of a lot better than our stellar record. They would play with direction and purpose unlike this cluster f going on now. Your obviously a Mike hater and nothing I say is going to change that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Besides harden who have the Rockets got? The Suns might of had the same record, We'll never know. But like I did say, theyd be a hell of a lot better than our stellar record. They would play with direction and purpose unlike this cluster f going on now. Your obviously a Mike hater and nothing I say is going to change that.
LOL, a Mike hater? Name calling isn't actually the way to have this conversation, don't you think? I won't argue that we would see more structure, and dare I say, more FUN, with Mike as coach, but that wasn't the issue. The issue is about their record, and I say even though they may be more entertaining, they wouldn't have a much better record than we currently have.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
LOL, a Mike hater? Name calling isn't actually the way to have this conversation, don't you think? I won't argue that we would see more structure, and dare I say, more FUN, with Mike as coach, but that wasn't the issue. The issue is about their record, and I say even though they may be more entertaining, they wouldn't have a much better record than we currently have.

I disagree, as usual. But you think what you want.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Why aren't Chriss, Bender getting more minutes.

Because they play terribly. The playing time they have got is already too much.

Improve them first, let them earn playing time and play them only after they did.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Booker, who started standing out after Watson took over last year. That's the first I can think of. Len has looked really good this year too, although I'm sure you won't give Watson any credit for that. The GM signed Dudley, not Watson. Chriss is starting, I know he's playing limited minutes but he hasn't been very effective.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Liking Mike D'Antoni on the Suns forum has been very unpopular. I have always been a supporter but I have taken my knocks for it. I believe coaches can change for the better. IMO, he would have been a better choice for the Suns head coaching position. However, I will say this, it does take a good PG to run his system and he has found his playmaker in James Harden. I'm not sure Bledsoe could have filled this role as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liking Mike D'Antoni on the Suns forum has been very unpopular. I have always been a supporter but I have taken my knocks for it. I believe coaches can change for the better. IMO, he would have been a better choice for the Suns head coaching position. However, I will say this, it does take a good PG to run his system and he has found his playmaker in James Harden. I'm not sure Bledsoe could have filled this role as well.

Yeah, after a while it's not even worth the effort to defend him. I think Mike is a great coach and he would have been my first choice. I think we'd have a couple more wins if we had hired him but I'm confident we wouldn't be playing like Houston right now, we just don't have the players for it.

On the plus side, unlike Watson, I doubt MD would ever put 3 or 4 players on the court at the same time that couldn't score on a nerf hoop. And when you look at the stats and see that you are one of the weakest defensive teams in the league, does it make sense to continue to give serious minutes to your defensive stalwarts if that's all they bring to the game?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, after a while it's not even worth the effort to defend him. I think Mike is a great coach and he would have been my first choice. I think we'd have a couple more wins if we had hired him but I'm confident we wouldn't be playing like Houston right now, we just don't have the players for it.

On the plus side, unlike Watson, I doubt MD would ever put 3 or 4 players on the court at the same time that couldn't score on a nerf hoop. And when you look at the stats and see that you are one of the weakest defensive teams in the league, does it make sense to continue to give serious minutes to your defensive stalwarts if that's all they bring to the game?

Well said.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not Bledsoe but I do wonder how a guy like Tyler Ulis would fare under D'Antoni.

Shame that Watson doesn't value ball movement and pass first PGs.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because they play terribly. The playing time they have got is already too much.

Improve them first, let them earn playing time and play them only after they did.
Oh yes and Brandon Knight and PJ Tucker are playing at All Star levels.

Knight is on pace to have statistically the worst season ever in basketball history. His FG% is atrocious, he has the DEAD WORST +/- in the NBA and his PER is a joke.

But yet Bender/Ulis/Chris's can't get those minutes?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not Bledsoe but I do wonder how a guy like Tyler Ulis would fare under D'Antoni.

Shame that Watson doesn't value ball movement and pass first PGs.

We will see. Watson has his hands full trying to develop youth and satisfy veterans.

I think Tyler Ulis is aways away as he has not proven himself. I doubt DA would want a rookie PG running anything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard