What are your feelings about the NFL having a team in London

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aside from my snide remarks, try finding a team of 32 professional athletes, as well as a coach, his GM, and all upper management, to be enthusiastic about moving to London. And you're talking about several teams.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would any of these people, players and coaches, want to play anywhere besides the USA?

What's the incentive man?

The entire world is crazy, you know this.... Nothing makes sense, to me at least..

Attachments

• b1310.jpg
    b1310.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 72

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
have the league/city/owner all chip in to supply them with a supersonic jet to fly them and their opponents to and from London for the games. Problem solved.

Really!!!! the owners of NFL franchises are making more money than ever and you think it's a good idea for the city help pay to jet in teams. I just heard a report yesterday that really pissed me off. Apparently and I would think most of you heard about it since the 2 senators from AZ found it out that the Pentagon has been paying professional sports teams millions of dollars, our tax dollars, to promote veterans at games, roll out the big flag on the field, etc. These teams should be doing this on their own without tax dollars. Apparently the Patriots receives over $600,000 alone for this. This includes the NFL, MBA, NHL, NBA, MLS and probably some other pro sport franchises. Nothing like making the rich richer.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really!!!! the owners of NFL franchises are making more money than ever and you think it's a good idea for the city help pay to jet in teams. I just heard a report yesterday that really pissed me off. Apparently and I would think most of you heard about it since the 2 senators from AZ found it out that the Pentagon has been paying professional sports teams millions of dollars, our tax dollars, to promote veterans at games, roll out the big flag on the field, etc. These teams should be doing this on their own without tax dollars. Apparently the Patriots receives over $600,000 alone for this. This includes the NFL, MBA, NHL, NBA, MLS and probably some other pro sports franchises. Nothing like making the rich richer.

Other than those hallowed occasions when all pay their respects to the fallen, I can't see why teams wouldn't charge for what is, in fact, military recruitment marketing.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A better idea would be to revive NFL Europe. The NFL is the only major league without a farm system and this would fit the bill and kill 2 birds. This would eliminate the regular season NFL game(which is extremely unfair to the actual fans of the teams who lose a home game and I'm quite sure teams raise the ticket prices of the 9 home games they do get to make up for the lost revenue). I thought NFL Europe was a great concept and the league does have the revenue to make it thrive.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few players or coaches are going to want to play in London. These kids just finally got their big break, they can feed their moms and pops finally, and you're expecting them to move to London, which many of them can't even find on a map. May as well be Siberia. Nobody wants to do that.

London is like moving to Siberia really isn't that just a tad overstated.

Have you ever been there ?

It looks like the games will be played at the new Spurs stadium at White Hart Lane in Tottenham. Given that they would have the option of living in London or outside in the countryside [Essex probably but Hertfordshire is also possible].

You do realize the the British moved out of mud huts and retired their horse and carts over the last few years don't you ? Civilization does exist there contrary to the belief of many folks on this side of the pond [like the Jets taking toilet paper :rolleyes:).

Napier

Pond Hopping
Reaction score
The problem with NFL Europe is that it didn't really raise the profile of the NFL outside of the USA. The German teams (and Amsterdam) were the only two teams which were able to consistently pull crowds, in the end. Having actual games played in London has done far more for the game.

I lived in Scotland for a while and went to a few Claymores games... the place was empty. Fans want to see actual NFL, not practice squad scrimmages. It is a shame though because a European league would be much better than having an NFL franchise in London.

I have a feeling that it won't be long until the Cardinals are asked to take a trip over, and I'm definitely going.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
horrible idea. but if they do it,...you could negate the travel disadvantage by making the team a "symbolic" London team.

Headquarter the team on the east coast...fly them to London every week to play their home games..........actually,...that idea kinda sucks too......

never mind, carry on...

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
London is like moving to Siberia really isn't that just a tad overstated.

Have you ever been there ?

It looks like the games will be played at the new Spurs stadium at White Hart Lane in Tottenham. Given that they would have the option of living in London or outside in the countryside [Essex probably but Hertfordshire is also possible].

You do realize the the British moved out of mud huts and retired their horse and carts over the last few years don't you ? Civilization does exist there contrary to the belief of many folks on this side of the pond [like the Jets taking toilet paper :rolleyes:).
Lol, I wasn't referencing my views on living in London, my wife and I would happily live there 6 months of the year. I was trying to describe, somewhat poorly, how some of these kids would view it just coming out of college.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, I wasn't referencing my views on living in London, my wife and I would happily live there 6 months of the year. I was trying to describe, somewhat poorly, how some of these kids would view it just coming out of college.

Personally wouldn't want to live in London, never have. Way to crowded for my liking. I prefer the south coast and as far west as possible.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Other than those hallowed occasions when all pay their respects to the fallen, I can't see why teams wouldn't charge for what is, in fact, military recruitment marketing.

Part of my problem with it is teams deliver it as something they are doing out of their pocket when in fact they are getting paid to do it. I suspect if you asked owners to take on this expense you would hardly ever see it happen. The military and it's supporters are crying they don't have enough funding and this money given to millionaires can go to much better uses within the military. maybe it's just me but I have a hard time given taxpayer money to people who are sitting on boat loads of cash to give the impression that they are the ones footing the bill and doing all this out of patriotic pride when it's really for about the money. I am sure you can go to most any professional team's web site and they will be spouting how they have given out free tickets to military families and members when it reality they are being paid taxpayer dollars to cover these expenses.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The players would live in relative anonymity as opposed to being gods. It's all about the EPL.

In one of her books Brenda Warner talks about moving to Phoenix. They told the realtor Kurt played for the Cardinals and needed a place with privacy so the family wouldn't be disturbed by fans. The realtor replied, "That won't be a problem here. Nobody cares about the Cardinals."

Times change. Happily. :)

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
Well I'm from the UK and have followed the NFL since 1983 when the St Louis Cardinals came over for an exhibition game against the Vikings.
For me, having a London or UK team would be a really bad idea!

One of the problems is that most UK fans have their own adopted US team and have done for many years. I could never root for another team after I have supported the Cards for 30+ years.

Also having 2 or 3 competitive games over here is more than enough to satisfy the UK fans.
If it gets too many, then the 'novelty' wears off and it will become run of the mill, rather than the great occasions they are now.
Of course I would love to see the Cards over here, seeing as I live 15 minutes from Wembley Stadium.

Personally I would like something like NFL Europe to return , using players who are on the bubble, or maybe even teams partly made up of practice squads, something to give players to aim for - not a well thought out idea I know.

What we find here is that fans from Germany and Spain ,and other countries come to watch the games too , so it is still popular across Europe so I think a European league of sorts could still be viable - and leave the NFL proper to you guys.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
So to play devils advocate here is the reason it makes sense

1) according to the Kraft family the team would be in the AFC East which would limit division game travel and any west coast swings would involve bye weeks or after a Thursday night game...easy division switch too flip the jags and Miami and jax is the team to relocate to London

2) the money would be insane football on the east coast would be on from 9am to midnight advertising dollars would be well worth it

3) great way to test out streaming. The NFL plans on going towards streaming after the TV deal ends streaming all the London games will work out any kinks before the switch over.

I can see why those on the west coast don't want to wake up at 6am on a Sunday but for the east coast nothing better than eggs and football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babedimancheff

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Financial wise for the NFL makes a lot of sense. New revenues with a lot of sellouts due to large military presence in Europe. Plus London is a great city.

Logistic wise would be a nightmare. London team playing away games would have a 5, 6, and 7 hr time difference depending on where they are playing. Lot of jet lag to deal with. Also you would have a lot of short weeks to deal with due to the time/length of traveling.

a commercial plane is being developed that shortens flight time and the nfl already knew about it. They wouldnt push this if they couldnt complete it.

billionaire organizations only do what profits them and they already thoroughly know the issues

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score