We're one BS call in quadruple OT away from 1st place in the south

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um, so Phrazbit...you were saying?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400757090

It's becoming clear that if the SEC and the Pac12 were one conference it would be

1.) Alabama

big gap...

2.) Stanford

big gap....

3.) Florida/Oregon/Ole miss/Utah (in no particular order)

4.) USC/UCLA/ASU/the rest of the SEC south/Georgia (in no particular order)

big gap....

5.) Everyone else

Not sure how Stanford edging Notre Dame changes much of anything other than wiping Notre Dame out of the playoff picture. Our conference's best team lost to the 5th best team in the Big 10... by 2 scores.

You seem to think my saying that the Pac had a really disappointing season equates to me saying the Pac is terrible. Its not terrible but the season was still a disaster for the conference. People were pimping it as being on the level of the SEC and we have no one in contention for the playoff and had a really rough out of conference record. It was a mediocre conference that consumed itself in league play. Pretty much every team except Wazzu and now probably Stanford played well below their expectations this year.

That you think ASU is on par with LSU, Miss St, Texas A&M (who beat ASU by 3 scores) takes a huge amount of homerism, I wouldn't put Utah above or even on par with those teams either. You guys just lost to a reeeeeally iffy Cal team, if ASU were playing THAT SEC West group of teams week to week they wouldn't win a game.

I think Stanford is the only team in the PAC that could sniff a .500 record in the SEC West, the rest of the conference would be fodder in that division. You won't catch me defending the SEC East, that division is a mess, but the West is heads and shoulders better than the competition in the Pac.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ASU would be the 4th best team in the SEC East too. The notion that they were just a couple plays away from being a top 15 team this year is about as absurd as ASU fans thinking that they will someday be a top 15 program as a whole.

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Not sure how Stanford edging Notre Dame changes much of anything other than wiping Notre Dame out of the playoff picture. Our conference's best team lost to the 5th best team in the Big 10... by 2 scores.

LOL, so you ignore the Utah over Michigan win and ignore beating one of the better teams in the nation in Notre Dame, but point to a week one loss as the be all end all of your claim that the PAC12 is weak?

In Non-conference games vs power 5, last 2 years

SEC overall 18-17
PAC12 overall 19-11

SEC vs ranked 7-13
PAC12 vs ranked 7-5

SEC vs ranked vs ranked 6-8
PAC12 vs ranked vs ranked 7-4

SEC as ranked ranked 10-10
PAC12 as ranked ranked 11-7

The reason the PAC had a disappointing season is none other than they are a VERY tough conference that beat up on themselves. I'll put the PAC up against the SEC west (sans Alabama) any day.

And to your point that the PAC won't "sniff" the playoffs...Stanford is likely to be ranked #7 in this weeks poll and the loser of the big10 champ game will likely fall below them if they win the PAC. That puts them at #6, assuming OK and the Big10 champ are in that leaves 2 spots open, if Alabama wins, they're in, if Clemson wins, they're in. If either Bama or Clemson lose...the CFP does love conference champs....especially from extremely strong conferences.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU would be the 4th best team in the SEC East too. The notion that they were just a couple plays away from being a top 15 team this year is about as absurd as ASU fans thinking that they will someday be a top 15 program as a whole.

Well, it makes us feel just a little better knowing that we beat U of A 3 out of the last 4 years. :)

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

Reaction score
Let's take a look at the PAC's games vs top non conference competition

Stanford vs #6 Notre Dame - WIN by 2
Utah vs #10 Michigan - WIN by 7
Oregon AT #5 Mich st - lost by 3
USC vs #6 Notre Dame - lost by 10
Stanford at #16 NW - lost by 10

2-3 vs top 16 teams

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL, so you ignore the Utah over Michigan win and ignore beating one of the better teams in the nation in Notre Dame, but point to a week one loss as the be all end all of your claim that the PAC12 is weak?

In Non-conference games vs power 5, last 2 years

SEC overall 18-17
PAC12 overall 19-11

SEC vs ranked 7-13
PAC12 vs ranked 7-5

SEC vs ranked vs ranked 6-8
PAC12 vs ranked vs ranked 7-4

SEC as ranked ranked 10-10
PAC12 as ranked ranked 11-7

The reason the PAC had a disappointing season is none other than they are a VERY tough conference that beat up on themselves. I'll put the PAC up against the SEC west (sans Alabama) any day.

And to your point that the PAC won't "sniff" the playoffs...Stanford is likely to be ranked #7 in this weeks poll and the loser of the big10 champ game will likely fall below them if they win the PAC. That puts them at #6, assuming OK and the Big10 champ are in that leaves 2 spots open, if Alabama wins, they're in, if Clemson wins, they're in. If either Bama or Clemson lose...the CFP does love conference champs....especially from extremely strong conferences.

Last year the pac was good, the conversation is about this year. THIS year was a disaster, and I'm not ignoring Utah's win over Michigan, I've mentioned it repeatedly. As a conference we had a grand total of TWO quality wins outside of league play then the conference proceeded to slaughter itself in league play.

And for like the third time, where am I saying the Pac sucks? The Pac was a massive disappointment but it didn't suck, it was mediocre, plain and simple.

As others have said, if you honestly think this 6-6 ASU team was only a few bad calls from being on the national stage then... you're in a different reality than I am.

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

Reaction score
And the amount of SEC wins vs quality non-conference opponents?

....I'll wait while you add those up.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As others have said, if you honestly think this 6-6 ASU team was only a few bad calls from being on the national stage then... you're in a different reality than I am.

Exactly. ASU fans need to come to the realization that Graham overplayed his hand at the beginning of the season and put too much pressure on a team whose peak talent was maybe fringe Top-25 and not NC contenders.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Exactly. ASU fans need to come to the realization that Graham overplayed his hand at the beginning of the season and put too much pressure on a team whose peak talent was maybe fringe Top-25 and not NC contenders.

Yeah. They hyped up both ASU and UofA and both sucked. Was a shame, I was really hoping for two 0 or 1 loss teams going head to head in the territorial cup.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. They hyped up both ASU and UofA and both sucked. Was a shame, I was really hoping for two 0 or 1 loss teams going head to head in the territorial cup.

Too much was made of Arizona returning their skill positions on offense and not enough was made over the loss of both lines and almost the entire secondary. The only returning portion of UofA's defense was the LBs and they all got hurt. Even if they'd stayed healthy the O-line and D-line were bad enough that I don't think Arizona would have gone better than 8-4.

In ASU's case the Berco over hype was insane. The guy had a monster 4th quarter last year against USC, but won the game by grossly under throwing the end zone. Outside of that one quarter he was really mediocre. On the defensive side, all of the blitzing is okay when it actually generates pressure but leaving that awful secondary in single coverages killed them.

These were not a couple of great teams that got brought down by a equally mighty conference. Everyone in the league, except Stanford (and even they have some really dicey stretches on offense) has some serious flaws.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
....still waiting.

I can't believe you're still riding this.

And I'd had a post typed in earlier but I decided not to because no matter what the message I figured it would come across as trollish... but since you're goading me...

Does Texas A&M's 3 score demolition of ASU count as a quality win or not?

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

Reaction score
I can't believe you're still riding this.

And I'd had a post typed in earlier but I decided not to because no matter what the message I figured it would come across as trollish... but since you're goading me...

Does Texas A&M's 3 score demolition of ASU count as a quality win or not?

No.

So your "best conference in football" had exactly zero quality out of conference wins and needs a win Saturday to get a team in the playoff?

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No.

So your "best conference in football" had exactly zero quality out of conference wins and needs a win Saturday to get a team in the playoff?

I feel like this statement makes your argument self defeating. ASU is supposedly way underrated and only had a bad year because the refs and the massive level of competition for the Pac... but they don't count as a quality win for a team that finished 9th in the SEC?