Way-too-early Monti Ossenfort Performance Review

Monti Ossenfort has done more good than not for the Arizona Cardinals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you have the 2nd, 16th and 34th pick in the draft you should come out with 3 potential starters. Three players we should be able to plug right in.

So much will depend on what we do in free agency. I don’t expect we will be the headliner on the NFL Network but I expect some action to set the tone of the direction we are going.
We can’t depend on 12 rookies to suddenly turn this team around.

If we resign Brown instead of a bigger Wr like Gabe Davis I’m going to puke. Add a quality guard and draft MHJ. We could spend the rest of our draft and free agency on defense. However, I would not be surprised if we draft a day 2 qb.
100% agree with everything you said except the last sentence. Unless, of course, they’ve seen enough of Tune & don’t think much of him. Instead, I think they’ll bring in a more experienced backup QB in free agency. If Murray were to get injured, even if just for a few games, they’ll need something more than Tune. The Cardinals FO and coaching staff won’t be nearly as tolerant of losing next year as they were this season.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When you have the 2nd, 16th and 34th pick in the draft you should come out with 3 potential starters. Three players we should be able to plug right in.

So much will depend on what we do in free agency. I don’t expect we will be the headliner on the NFL Network but I expect some action to set the tone of the direction we are going.
We can’t depend on 12 rookies to suddenly turn this team around.

If we resign Brown instead of a bigger Wr like Gabe Davis I’m going to puke. Add a quality guard and draft MHJ. We could spend the rest of our draft and free agency on defense. However, I would not be surprised if we draft a day 2 qb.

Really, when you're as talent-poor as we are, a bunch of rookies will have a chance to start in the 2024 season. Whose job is super-safe right now? I'd say:

OL Hump
OL PJJ
OL Hernandez
OL Froholdt
QB Murray
RB Conner
TE McBride

LB White
S Baker
S Thompson
CB Garrett Williams

The question is how many of the mid-round picks (2nd and 3rds) will be able to contribute as NFL Quality starters and how quickly.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Agree with you.

The enticing part is trading down slightly and picking up an extra second round pick this year and a first round pick next year.

That is 4 premium picks (first 2 rounds) this year (4 starters) and another 2 first round picks next year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, when you're as talent-poor as we are, a bunch of rookies will have a chance to start in the 2024 season. Whose job is super-safe right now? I'd say:

OL Hump
OL PJJ
OL Hernandez
OL Froholdt
QB Murray
RB Conner
TE McBride

LB White
S Baker
S Thompson
CB Garrett Williams

The question is how many of the mid-round picks (2nd and 3rds) will be able to contribute as NFL Quality starters and how quickly.
You are exactly right. MHJ would step right in. Just about any D lineman would step right in. A guard could step right in as would a top edge rusher.

I hope Monti doesn’t over think this. Their draft board should give them a pretty good idea who will be available with the second round pick.

Your example shows we can fix this offense NOW. Draft MHJ, sign an experienced guard and a big WR in free agency.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You are exactly right. MHJ would step right in. Just about any D lineman would step right in. A guard could step right in as would a top edge rusher.

I hope Monti doesn’t over think this. Their draft board should give them a pretty good idea who will be available with the second round pick.

Your example shows we can fix this offense NOW. Draft MHJ, sign an experienced guard and a big WR in free agency.

I wonder what "fix this offense" means. We're 26th in offensive DVOA. Will those additions get us to 10th? Maybe, but I think we'll need help under center to get to that level.

Really concerned about how terrible the defense is.

Monti needs to get his ass beat if he drafts a QB on the first two days.
Seems extreme considering where you were nine months ago on this question. If Monti drafts a backup QB in the first two days, you'd have to have some concerns.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then he’s no different than Keim.
This staff came here with a POTENTIAL franchise Qb who wasn’t going to be available until November.
They have been assessing him from day one through rehab, practice and now games.
I’m not sure what you mean by stating “ he’s no better than Keim”.
Are you saying they should have made a decision on Kyler when they first took over?
Are you saying that moving on from Kyler would be stupid, even if they truly believe he is not the guy they thought he was?
Or are you saying they would be idiots to move on from Kyler like Keim did with Rosen?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% agree with everything you said except the last sentence. Unless, of course, they’ve seen enough of Tune & don’t think much of him. Instead, I think they’ll bring in a more experienced backup QB in free agency. If Murray were to get injured, even if just for a few games, they’ll need something more than Tune. The Cardinals FO and coaching staff won’t be nearly as tolerant of losing next year as they were this season.
A decent backup qb is going to cost some money and cap space. Without knowing the results of our off season acquisitions it’s hard to think who might fit that could carry the load should Murray flop or get injured especially where we are at right now.

I don’t think Murray is going to poop the bed completely. But I don’t have the confidence that he is going to flourish with added talent. I see mediocre at best.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A decent backup qb is going to cost some money and cap space. Without knowing the results of our off season acquisitions it’s hard to think who might fit that could carry the load should Murray flop or get injured especially where we are at right now.

I don’t think Murray is going to poop the bed completely. But I don’t have the confidence that he is going to flourish with added talent. I see mediocre at best.

I think you need to have a plan for 2-5 games where Kyler is hurt. Set aside $2 million in cap money for a guy like:

Tyler Huntley
Nate Sudfeld
Brandon Allen
Kyle Allen
Trevor Siemian
PJ Walker

Hope Clayton Tune (a contemporary of many of these guys) can beat them out in camp.

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score

There is Guy on IR "cant remember his name" that impressed the coaches liked I thought

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you need to have a plan for 2-5 games where Kyler is hurt. Set aside $2 million in cap money for a guy like:

Tyler Huntley
Nate Sudfeld
Brandon Allen
Kyle Allen
Trevor Siemian
PJ Walker

Hope Clayton Tune (a contemporary of many of these guys) can beat them out in camp.
we will see.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

When Murray had talent around him, he DID flourish. It was only after Hop missed the entire 2nd half of 2021 AND the OL was decimated with injuries at the same time, did the offense drop. And that also coincided with the defense becoming a sieve. And 2022 was pretty much the same thing with Hop out the first 6 games, followed immediately with Brown out 5 games, and then Murray going down with the ACL. But, there’s absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Murray will flourish if the WR room adds talent, and the OL continues to improve.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Then he’s no different than Keim.
Disagree. I don't believe taking a QB at the top of round 1 makes Monti a narcissist or a drunk. Not being those two things instantly makes him different than Keim.

Essentially, you would disagree with his approach...just like many did with his off-season plan this year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I feel like you need to build a foundation with multiple picks. Once you build up that foundation THEN you look for the knock out pieces. I would love MHJ. However, I won't be mad if we trade down, either. It's too early to go for the block buster picks when we need players all over the field. You build a team with solid guys like Kyzir White. After you get a team full of those guys, you draft your MHJ guys.

The whole thing that blows this all up is if they take a QB. Then this all goes out the window. LOL.
I very, very much hope Monti doesn't go all Keim by trading down and drafting a bunch of Kyzir White's. That's a good way to set the franchise back a couple more years. Yes, you need these types of players on the team. You get them cheap in FA and in the middle to late rounds of the draft. You use your top picks for top talent. You want to, what, wait a few years before we go after top talent? Good news for you, then: We'll still be drafting high enough to do so 2-3 years down the road!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OL Hump
OL PJJ
OL Hernandez
OL Froholdt
QB Murray
RB Conner
TE McBride

LB White
S Baker
S Thompson
CB Garrett Williams

Probably Prater too, but otherwise you nailed this.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Murray had talent around him, he DID flourish. It was only after Hop missed the entire 2nd half of 2021 AND the OL was decimated with injuries at the same time, did the offense drop. And that also coincided with the defense becoming a sieve. And 2022 was pretty much the same thing with Hop out the first 6 games, followed immediately with Brown out 5 games, and then Murray going down with the ACL. But, there’s absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Murray will flourish if the WR room adds talent, and the OL continues to improve.
I hope you are right. I have my doubts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave