Washington @ Arizona State University Pregame Thread. 10/2/22-10/7/22

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Washington has been pretty solid this year, but things kind of fell apart for them last week v. UCLA. Skimming through their coaches comments in the link below sounds like a lot of the same issues ASU has been having. Their new coach Kalen DeBoer
has been doing a great job though and I am sure he will have them ready to play.

I think this is a winnable game for ASU. They need to avoid the mistakes and mix it up a bit on D with some blitzes, Washington's QB Penix can throw the ball, especially if he has all day to throw. I hope DC Henderson is drawing up some blitz packages to get him out of the pocket.

One other thought. Merlin Robertson has been very quiet this year. I am wondering if he is struggling with the coaching transition or something else. He has just been a non factor. He came into camp slimmed down, ready to go and on the Butkus Award watch list. https://www.yardbarker.com/college_...f_the_year_award_watch_list/s1_17068_37712515 The expectation has been that he would have a solid season as he pushed forward to the NFL draft. That is not happening yet. I am hoping this is a breakout game for him.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More on Washington's offense, ruh ro raggy:

That combination is Indiana transfer QB Michael Penix Jr. and Virginia transfer RB Wayne Taulapapa.

Washington boasts one of the best offenses in the country, ranking No. 7 in the nation in total yards per game (506.6) and No. 12 in points per contest at 41.6.

Most of that has to do with the arm of Penix Jr., who has thrown for 1,733 yards this season — the most in college football. He’s also completed 16 touchdown passes (fifth-most) to three interceptions — two of which came last week — on 65% passing (125-for-191).

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Check out Pennix on these TD passes in Washington's upset of Michigan State in week 1. Dude has an ARM. Looks like a future first round draft pick.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media