Warriors are going to be a pain in the rear to guard

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr is installing a modified triangle. The modification actually eliminates a lot of the wasted dribbling/motion and cuts it right down to the essential parts. Given the players he has and their relative athleticism/skill, it's going to drain a lot of teams just trying to run them down and get through all the screens.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kerr is installing a modified triangle. The modification actually eliminates a lot of the wasted dribbling/motion and cuts it right down to the essential parts. Given the players he has and their relative athleticism/skill, it's going to drain a lot of teams just trying to run them down and get through all the screens.

If the past is any measure, it will take them half a year to get comfortable with it. Even Jackson with the Lakers struggled at the beginning. Many teams have not had the patience to be bad long enough to learn it. Who was Phil's assistant that went to Dallas and flopped? Cotton tried it with the Suns and started out the season 0-13.

So we will see. I do think Kerr has the stuff to be a good coach.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious why you think that. It can't be based on his track record as a GM.

I thought Kerr did pretty well as a GM. He was a bad negotiator, but he had a decent eye for talent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerr is the type of ex player you expect to be a good coach. he wasn't a great player he had one really good skill, shooting, and he managed to find a niche(thanks to Jordan largely) and ride it for a solid career. But he understood the game so while not very athletic he wasn't a horrible defender, he got the most out of his talent.

I think the question is does he have the coaching experience, there's a difference between knowing how to do something and being able to get others to do it, and that takes time.

He's got some advantages the situation with Jackson and staff had deterioriated so badly that whoever is the next coach will be given a nice honeymoon period I suspect.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree, but to each his own.

really? outside of the KT trade which seemed to be an edict from above to shed salary ASAP, Kerr had a pretty good track record, rebuilding a team that missed the playoffs and turning them around to get within 2 games of the NBA Finals. He also turned Boris into JRich and Duds (who were big contributors for a couple years), drafted Dragic in the second round and added Robin Lopez, who ended up being a solid C.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
really? outside of the KT trade which seemed to be an edict from above to shed salary ASAP, Kerr had a pretty good track record, rebuilding a team that missed the playoffs and turning them around to get within 2 games of the NBA Finals. He also turned Boris into JRich and Duds (who were big contributors for a couple years), drafted Dragic in the second round and added Robin Lopez, who ended up being a solid C.
steve kerr was garbage! The marion for shaq trade, terry porter as head coach trying to become a half court team which ran the ball through shaq, earl clark, kendall marshall , there more moves that sucked there were many fire kerr threads.Kerr will destroy the Warriors and good!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are a lot more negatives about Steve Kerr than the above. He did some some good things but from my perspective he did more wrong. A fairly impartial article from Valley of the Suns goes through it and gives Kerr a "B" grade. I would give Kerr a C- grade if I am being kind.

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/06/16/a-look-back-at-steve-kerrs-tenure-as-suns-gm/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
steve kerr was garbage! The marion for shaq trade, terry porter as head coach trying to become a half court team which ran the ball through shaq, earl clark, kendall marshall , there more moves that sucked there were many fire kerr threads.Kerr will destroy the Warriors and good!

Wow. I guess Kerr was here a lot longer than I realized. I'd say a C is generous.

Steve

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but I certainly don't think he was good--maybe "average" would be a better word for it.

His track record as a GM does nothing to help his case in trying to be a good coach.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kerr had the right idea as GM here. He left because one GM cannot turn around a teams culture all by himself.

Maybe he did have the right idea, but his execution was sorely lacking. If it's because of incompetence, then it's good that he left. If it was because a lack of support from the top, then he should have been a good GM and stood up to it. Ryan McD doesn't seem to have any problems with that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i wonder if the Shaq trade was driven more by Sarver/Arison then anything else. I seem to recall reports that those guys talked to each other about putting that trade together.

Porter was definitely an awful hire. Marshall was post-Kerr if I recall correctly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he did have the right idea, but his execution was sorely lacking. If it's because of incompetence, then it's good that he left. If it was because a lack of support from the top, then he should have been a good GM and stood up to it.

didn't he do exactly that? IIRC, he tried to stand up to Sarver after the WCF when Sarver tried to give everyone in the FO across the board pay-cuts and Kerr quit because he thought ownership was screwing the team over.

Phoenix219

Rookie
Reaction score
It wasn't pay cuts; it was just lack of raises after such a great season, if i remember right. Sarver the banker, not Sarver the people person. lol.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kerr was not GM when Marshall was drafted.

Phoenix219

Rookie
Reaction score
From this, both of you were right. Kerr wanted raises, Sarver wanted cuts.

I just remember the impression being that Kerr was going to bat for all the "little people" in the organization who deserved to be rewarded for overachieving, where Sarver figured, everyones still under contract / has their pay check, they did their jobs, why should I give them extra?

The worst thing about that year was after being smart financially with Amare, we wasted sooo much money on Childress and Warrick....worst. reload. EVER.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
There's a lot of revisionist history about Kerr's time here mostly from ASU fans. He certainly wasn't the best GM but he got rid of D'Antoni and pivoted into a team that nearly got us into the NBA Finals. Overall he was a decent general manager.

Now as a coach I'm not too sure. I see him more as a big picture guy than going through the 82 game NBA grind. I also think GSW are a good but flawed team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kerr only had one serious boo boo as a GM and that was the Kurt Thomas trade. It was a mandate from above to clear salary but I have a hard time believing that the trade he made was the best way to go about it. Even Kerr has acknowledged it was one of the worst trades by any GM in recent years.

I'd like to have seen Kerr operate under the new improved Bob Sarver, rather than the Sarver who learned hard lessons after handcuffing Kerr then making a huge mistake hiring Blanks.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
There's a lot of revisionist history about Kerr's time here mostly from ASU fans. He certainly wasn't the best GM but he got rid of D'Antoni...

Not intentionally. That was a side effect of D'Antoni's pride being threatened by Kerr suggesting we add a defensive assistant coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard