Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me which player do you like best?
Craig
Crowder
Cam J

I'd put Crowder third on that list. He's not going to save this team.

For me, it's more about depth. The Suns could really use another rotation player at power forward.

They also need some grit at that position, which Crowder brings.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Exactly. Monty was the right coach for the Suns at the right time. In fairness to Monty, this season he has been coaching a team that is shorthanded.

However, I do question whether his coaching style is flexible enough.
I think there is a distinction between his coaching strategies versus him as a leader. I think he is a good leader. I do get frustrated with his strategies or in game decisions sometimes. I don't doubt he's a great guy, and a good leader. I think every coach, or any person, can always learn and adapt. The NBA, coaches switch strategies up all the time. I think any coach in the NBA needs to learn to be flexible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a distinction between his coaching strategies versus him as a leader. I think he is a good leader. I do get frustrated with his strategies or in game decisions sometimes. I don't doubt he's a great guy, and a good leader. I think every coach, or any person, can always learn and adapt. The NBA, coaches switch strategies up all the time. I think any coach in the NBA needs to learn to be flexible.
Leadership qualities are questionable at this point when he has real issues with several key members of the team and the players don’t feel the same.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
-
Collins is decent but doesn’t help spacing if he’s playing with DA. He was a 3pt threat a few years ago but not sure what happened. For just Crowder and a pick it’s a no brainer if they don’t get outbid.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
There are 140 players in the NBA that make more than Jae and he's well respected by his teammates. We've screwed this up; whether it's Monty, JJ, Sarver or whoever, it's our mistake to sit a player that is worth every penny. I'd much rather have him as our backup PF then as our opponent.
There are probably about 180 that are better than him w/o an attitude

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-
Collins is decent but doesn’t help spacing if he’s playing with DA. He was a 3pt threat a few years ago but not sure what happened. For just Crowder and a pick it’s a no brainer if they don’t get outbid.

Maybe the Suns are only a third or fourth party in a multi-team trade?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
-

His stats are way down this year across the board. A change of scenery should do him good I don’t think he’s hurt

26% from 3 this year.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Monty is a "motivational speaker" type of coach. And that's all well and good, as there are contexts where that kind of coaching can be effective. But when it comes to actual strategy, that's where those types (and not coincidentally, Monty) are often lacking.

It can still work if they have highly effective assistants making the difference (i.e, Green). But otherwise, the motivational stuff eventually wears thin, and players often become disenchanted and demotivated. And compounding the problem, the motivational type coach usually has a very fixed "my way or the highway" approach that further alienates the players.

I see it all the time in various sports, and at various levels... although it tends to be least problematic at the amateur levels where players don't have as much control over the team's fortunes as a whole as at the pro level.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s clear to everyone Monty needs to go at this point. He was the right coach at the right time but he’s not the guy to take this team to the next level

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the Zach Lowe podcast at about the 1:08 mark for the comments on John Collins.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think John Collins could help but get me a meatball PF too. Would JC want to come off the bench behind Cam J?
We need to trade some of our SG/SF never play bench guys for someone who can grab a damn rebound and help DA not have to do everything defensively.
Collins could help in the playoffs THIS YEAR but beyond that I don't want him clogging up the roster. Unless of course he shows up in Phoenix and just starts balling.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it’s clear to everyone Monty needs to go at this point. He was the right coach at the right time but he’s not the guy to take this team to the next level
Willing to give Monte another year? If we were healthy all year we might not be having this convo. Unless Ishbia has a ringer lined up.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Willing to give Monte another year? If we were healthy all year we might not be having this convo. Unless Ishbia has a ringer lined up.

Nope. I’ve seen enough of Monty.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the guy we need at PF behind Cam Johnson would be a pre injury Dario Saric. Prior to his injury in the finals, Dario was that perfect off the bench PF.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the guy we need at PF behind Cam Johnson would be a pre injury Dario Saric. Prior to his injury in the finals, Dario was that perfect off the bench PF.
The problem with Dario was never offensive. He can’t stay on the court because he can’t keep anybody in front of him on defense. It’s alwats been his Achilles heal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coby White for Jae Crowder? I hope we get a pick or something extra. Seems like a bad move if it's straight up because White is headed to RFA and we don't need a shoot first combo guard who hasn't shown much NBA level skill.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't work straight up in terms of salary but apparently the Bulls also want to dump Drummond, which would make it work. Coby has regressed each year he's been in the league.

I liked him as a pick back in 2018 or whatever draft that was but we traded down for Cam.

Still not a fan. He can't beat out Caruso for more minutes in Chicago, I don't want him eating into Payne's minutes or Lee's. However he'd provide more than Crowder this season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am really fascinated by these Insane false memories of Dario.

he is playing exactly like he did pre injury. He is simply not very good.
I think he was better. To me he has lost a lot of athleticism. He really struggles now to get up his shot around the basket.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose