Vince Gilligan's next TV series

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Breaking Bad Creator's Next Show Likened To X-Files & Twilight Zone​

Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan's upcoming new show is said to be like The X-Files and The Twilight Zone. Gilligan started his TV career with shows like The Lone Gunmen and The X-Files, where he developed his craft before jumping into his biggest hit, Breaking Bad. He won Emmys for his work on both Breaking Bad and the spinoff series Better Call Saul, starring Bob Odenkirk, which is set to end its run on August 15 with the season 6 finale.

Gilligan has worked at expanding the Breaking Bad universe since the original series ended in 2013, following up with Better Call Saul and El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie, which focused on Aaron Paul's character Jesse Pinkman. With the end of Better Call Saul, however, it appears that Gilligan is ready to step out of that universe and into something else entirely, as he's teased for a while, saying that it would be "something really different" from what he's done before. Now, new details have come to light in terms of what type of show Gilligan will kick off next, which appears to be going back to his early roots a bit.

Per Deadline, Gilligan is preparing to start shopping his next TV project, which comes from Sony Pictures TV, which is a big shift from the criminal underworld of Breaking Bad. The new unnamed show is said to go back to Gilligan's time on The X-Files, "exploring similar themes of bending reality while holding a mirror to humanity." The show is also likened to The Twilight Zone, described as "a blended, grounded genre drama" that is "set in our world while putting a tweak on it, focusing on people and exploring the human condition in an unexpected, surprising way." The show is expected to go for "a couple of seasons with an overreaching story arc" and will contain Gilligan's signature tone that "infuses drama with humor."

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'd love a Gilligan created conspiracy based show. Some of his X-Files writing credits are really good episodes.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Vince Gilligan is a brilliant storyteller in the television medium, with three absolutely great series to attest to that. I have no doubt this will also be extraordinary.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost all of my fave X-Files episodes were written by Gilligan. I am IN for whatever this ends up being!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose