Vince Carter and Gani Lawal waived

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Coro reports that both Carter and Lawal have just been waived by the Suns.

The Suns waived Vince Carter and Gani Lawal today.

Carter's waiver was planned since the time they acquired him nearly a year ago. His contract's final year was worth $18 million but only $4 million of it was guaranteed. The Suns extended the deadline to waive him in June to delay the $4 million payment.

Carter, 34, averaged 13.5 points and 3.6 rebounds in 51 games with the Suns, starting 41 of them. He was acquired with Marcin Gortat and Mickael Pietrus from Orlando on Dec. 18 for Jason Richardson, Earl Clark and Hedo Turkoglu.

Lawal became a victim of the Suns' depth at power forward, where they have Channing Frye, Hakim Warrick and rookie first-round draft pick Markieff Morris. A portion of Lawal's salary would have become guaranteed if he had made the training camp roster.

Lawal, who has been playing in Poland, underwent knee surgery at the start of the year after he tore his anterior cruciate ligament and partially tore his medial collateral ligament in practice. He had made one appearance with the Suns for two minutes. Lawal, 23, was the final move made by the previous Suns regime when it drafted him 46th overall in the 2010 draft.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...1209phoenix-suns-vince-carter-gani-lawal.html

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!! I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that he is going to the Bulls. Carter that is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there goes my dream of Lawal morphing into a first team All NBA forward. And there goes my dream of finding some idiot willing to give us 3 future picks for the great Vince Carter.

Steve

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Damn. I wanted to see what progress Lawal had made against NBA players. He was a beast in Poland.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are reports that the Mavs are close to signing Carter which would reunite him with Kidd.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not going to mourn the loss of Lawal, but what harm would it have caused to keep Lawal and his paltry $700,000 annual salary? Unless his knee was garbage, he'd be worth keeping around.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
mavs picked up odom too due to a deal they worked with the knicks when they lost chandler. all they gave up to LAL was a future first round pick that they will ship to the lakers within the next 6 years. rick carlisle says they are still working to make another addition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard