Kenyan Drake, the NFL Draft, David Johnson and more: What I would do if I were the GM? By Scott Bord

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by BritCard, Jan 23, 2020.

1. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I thought last night that the numbers looked a bit iffy. Just working them out.

He starts with $53m. That's wrong anyway because he's counting a load of camp bodies that won't be on the final 53. It's more like $59m but let's start with his $53m and no backloading.

Minus Hump = $39m
    Minus Drake = $33.5m
    Minus AQ = $31.5m (I think this is low. You can't say "We think you are a starter but we want to pay you backup money"
    Minus Byrd/Cooper = $26.5m (He doesn't give numbers but combined $5m seems right)
    Minus Kerr = $22.5m
    Minus Hundley = $20.5m
    Minus Zane = $17m
    Minus DJ trade = $5m (We already eat $6m in dead money from his original signing bonus, adding another $6m equals $12m dead cap)

Then he says spend cap space on defense. What cap space?

Even with his wrong starting number he also hasn't accounted for the rookie draft pool. That's $9m. Add $6 to the starting number and take off $9m and we have $2m left.

There are only 2 contracts we can backload and thats Hump and Drake. Backloading isn't telling the players you are only paying them $3m this year instead of $10m. It's giving them a big junk of cash upfront and spreading it out how you want.

So take Hump. Say you give him a 4 year $56m deal with $30m guaranteed ($14m per). You give him a bunch of that G money in signing bonus, say $15m. You can then play with how you spread that around the 4 years. So you could account for none of it this year but have to eat bigger chunks the following 3 years. This is what we did with the other DJ and why we have to eat so much dead cap to move him on. You are making an already risky deal even more risky with too much back loading.

Anyway, the point is there isn't that much room to backload off the only 2 long terms deals. Maybe you can get $8m back. That's still only $10m to sign defensive FA's.

daves likes this.
  2. Lagerfilled

Lagerfilled Professional Tailgater

I get what you’re saying and we have to be VERY careful / strategic about where we choose to spend. Some difficult decisions for sure.

What I’m struggling with is you keep saying $9mm for rookies, which might end up being total spend; however that’s not what hits the cap. It’s ONLY the top 51 salaries that count for cap purposes. Which means that the 1st, 2nd, 3rd , and potentially 4th round picks will be the only ones consuming cap charges. So closer to $4-5mm.

We can also save money elsewhere. There are several pieces we can cut or restructure to save $$$. For example, we may want to let Andy Lee go, keep Ryan Winslow, and spend the $2mm elsewhere. Alford is another one that we can reclaim ~$4.5mm by cutting and the list goes on.

Tbh, the one I’m REALLY struggling with is re-signing AQ. I don’t think he’s worth $1-2mm let alone $4-5mm per. He’s consistently the weak link on an average line. And don’t try to baffle me with stats. We can all see it with our own eyes.

daves and JosiahLee like this.
  3. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I see this a lot and it's not correct. Well it is, but it makes no difference.

$9m is the rookie draft pool. That's how much the rookies cost us in cap space.

The top 51 helps in the offseason to SIGN players if you don't have a lot of cap space but it doesn't lower the ultimate cap hit and thats what we are all thinking about when we talk about cap space right? How much the final 53 is going to cost.

When it gets to cut week and we go down to 53 and the top 51 ends those rookies cost us $9m of cap space (if we keep them all on the 53). More likely the 7th goes to the PS and and its $540,000 less.

4. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

I do for the most part minus spending all of their cap space on a single defensive player in FA. Would rather they get 2-3 defensive starters via FA over a single player with a monster contract.

Solar7 likes this.
  5. phillycard

phillycard Registered

Defense, defense, defense!!! (after drafting one of the studs at WR of course. LOL)

Minski likes this.
  6. wit3card

wit3card Registered

More or less I get to the same result...

We can't sign all this players, not to this numbers and expect to get a Defensive Player in FA.

Signing Drake to over 3.4 Mio $/year is even with a DJ trade, not possible.
    Signing Byrd will not happen maybe Cooper
    A DJ trade is probably unlikely due to the cap ramifications, but before the draft and maybe for a 3rd or 4th could be an argument, having him off the books next year would help too.
    Kerr I dunno, we need an upgrade there before I spend 4 mio on him I spend on one big guy

So basically we save up 12 Mio$ with trading DJ and maybe 13 without.

With 10-11 Mio $ you might get good starter on DL/OLB not a great one but a good one. And 2 Mio you need to save up for in season money.

7. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

it is correct

an easy way to think about it:

NFL minimum is ~$510k per year

7 draft picks. Each draft pick you sign bumps a NFL minimum salary guy out of the top 53. 7 X $510 = $3.57m

so $9mm ( the sum of all your draft picks 1 year cap number) only impacts the cap by $5.43mm

Lagerfilled likes this.
  8. BritCard

BritCard Registered

It is correct, I said so, but not in the way people try to use it.

They will only cost around 5.5m on the day of signing because of offsetting from the top 51. So if you don't have much cap space it's a help while signing your picks in the offseason.

But its no use for the purpose of planning the cap for the final 53 because the offsetting stops and they cost the full charge against the cap. Which is 9m.

If you are doing any kind of cap planning and FA spending like this article then it's 9m.

9. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

What I like MOST about this offseason is NOT having to talk about Murray and Rosen.

daves, Vacard, slanidrac16 and 2 others like this.
  10. AZman5103

AZman5103 Registered

Send DJ and a 4th rounder to Tampa Bay for Cameron Brate.

Fills a need for both teams. We get out of DJ's contract and we get a useful piece to add to our offense.

11. AZman5103

AZman5103 Registered

I disagree with you about AQ. We can definitley say, "we think you're a starter, but you would be a backup on every other team in the NFL"....because its the truth.

We should be offering low level backup money for him. He's not very good.

12. BritCard

BritCard Registered

This is all true, the main takeaway from this is we shouldn't be extending or starting him. Bottom 5 center in the league.

13. az jam

az jam Registered User

Good stuff, you thought this through very well. I think Shipley and Gonzales salaries are a little high. IMO there won't be a demand for Shipley and also Gonzales is a RFA so I think we can save probably $2 million between them. David Johnson's contract is a major problem and there is no simple way around it. You and others have made decent proposals but I thinks Cards may be stuck with him for all of the money. Hope not but???? Finally, I do like Isaiah Simmons but think he will be gone what is your backup on that? Agin nice work just throwing in my own thoughts.

14. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

Ha. I wouldn’t bet the farm on that! Lol!

15. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I was glad we picked Rosen although I didn't like him pre draft. But he really won me over. I thought he was a great kid. I loved his pressers.

And if you think about the crap he had to work with? Vujnovich, Aboushi, Barksdale, Gossett, Cunningham, Tolliver, Williams. No run game. Wilks. 2 bad OCs. A playbook from the 80s.

Joe Montana couldn't have won games.

I'm glad we have Kyler but I like Rosen. That video he put out when he was traded was pure class. I hope the kid gets a chance.