Vibes

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
BA & SK are pretty straightforward when they talk at the Combine. It's interesting...BA just said that he doesn't see any glaring needs except the need to "get younger" at CB, S, OLB and possibly at QB. So. listening to what BA & SK had to say the last couple of days here are the vibes I'm getting:

QB:

* They are very high on Carson Palmer.

* BA wants Drew Stanton back.

* BA said they are not sure about Matt Barkley because they haven't seen enough of him.

* BA and SK have both indicated that if they see a QB they like in this draft at a particular spot, they will strongly consider taking him. BA said he would like to have a young QB in the mix.

RB:

* They are very high on David Johnson as the bell cow RB.

* They would like to sign Chris Johnson.

* They are frustrated with Andre Ellington

* They are concerned about having backup RBs who do not play on STs.

WR:

* They are not sure whether Larry Fitzgerald will want to play beyond this season, but feel that if he doesn't get a ring this year, it could motivate him to play another year or two.

* They like the progress Michael Floyd had made and would like to address his contract situation, but nothing is imminent.

* They are delighted to have two speed WRs in John Smokey Brown and J.J. Nelson.

* They feel that because of Fitz and Floyd being on the last years of their contracts that they may take a WR in the draft.

TE:

* They like the progress Darren Fells has been making.

* They think that youth and injuries have slowed Troy Niklas' assimilation into the NFL.

* BA was high on Gerald Christian before he was injured last year.

* Have yet to hear any buzz about whether they want Jermaine Gresham back.

T:

* They remain very high on LT Jared Veldheer.

* They feel that the red-shirt year for D.J. Humphries has him on track to start at RT.

* They feel that Bobby Massie is going to get a good contract elsewhere.

* BA said that he likes the young o-linementn they had on the practice squad. The two tackles were LT Rob Crisp and RT John Wetzel.

* Haven't heard them say much about T Earl Watford, has anyone? I would assume that in light of how solid he was to start the year that he is very prominent in their plans. Just the same i get the vibe that they would like to add another versatile o-lineman who can challenge for playing time at RG and/or RT. I think they will try to add that player in FA.

* While they haven't said much about Bradley Sowell, I think it is very likely that they will re-sign him. I know this will frustrate and even infuriate some of you---but with Sowell, I get the impression that he's one of BA's pet players---for example, at the resort in West Virginia, when BA and a couple of the coaches met Arnold Palmer, what player was there with the coaches? Bradley Sowell. And I think there's a chance that Sowell sticks on this year's roster as a backup at RT because, if need be, D.J. Humphries can be flipped over to LT.

G:

* They are very high on Mike Iupati at LG.

* They appear to be set on Jonathan Cooper being the starter at RG, but whenever they talk about Cooper they issue caveats. Thus, my hunch is that if they can agree to a cap friendly deal with Michael Harris (MIN), Richie Incognito (BUF), Jahri Evans (NO) or Ramon Foster (PIT), Alex Boone (SF) or Evan Mathis (DEN), they may wind up putting Cooper on the trading block (not sure if there would be a lot of interest---maybe in a trade at the end of TC?

* They have always liked Ted Larsen's versatility and thus it would not be a total surprise if they re-sign him to a deal just above the veteran minimum.

C:

* They appear to be ready to move on from Lyle Sendlein.

* BA said that they will address the position in FA or the draft.

* Haven't heard them say much about A.Q. Shipley, which could mean that he may be squarely on the bubble.

Hunches:

* They will re-sign Drew Stanton and they will draft a QB, which would mean that barring injury, Matt Barkley will be the odd man out.

* They will sign RB Chris Johnson and will draft a RB to challenge Ellington and Taylor, especially a RB who can play STs and perhaps be of value in short yardage situations.

* They will address the punt returner situation in FA via a "prove it deal" with possibly WR Percy Harvin, WR Devin Hester or CB Adam Pacman Jones) or in the draft with possibly WR Braxton Miller (Ohio St.), CB Cyrus Jones (Alabama)
Jakeem Grant, Texas Tech
DeAndre Reaves, Marshall
Bralon Addison, Oregon
Chris Moore, Cincinnati
Tyler Boyd, Pittsburgh
Paul McRoberts, Southeast Missouri State
Morgan Burns, Kansas State

* If they don't re-sign Jermaine Gresham, they will sign a FA TE, possibly one of the two Indy boys, Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener...or hope to sign a prove it deal with a player like Mercedes Lewis.

* They will sign a FA guard, possibly one of the several previously mentioned.

* They will try to sign a FA center: Stefen Wisniewski (JAX), Ben Jones (HOU) or Gino Gradkowski (ATL), but no matter what, they will draft a young center:

35 Ryan Kelly, Alabama (6-4, 311, 1-2)
65 Nick Martin, Notre Dame (6-4, 299, 2-3)
106 Jack Allen C, Michigan State (6-1, 294, 3-4)
147 Max Tuerk, Southern California (6-5, 298, 4-5)
158 Evan Boehm, Missouri (6-2, 309, 5)
236 Austin Blythe, Iowa, (6-2, 291, 6-7)
264 Mike Matthews, Texas A&M (6-2, 294, 7-FA*)

NT:

* Corey Peters was signed to fill that role and he injured his Achilles. Haven't heard much about his progress and BA&SK aren't saying much---except that BA was adamant when he said that last year's starter Rodney Gunter is a more natural fit at DE.

* Xavier Williams provides some solid depth.

DE:

* From what BA said about moving Gunter to DE, it would allow Frostee Rucker to go back to his role at first man in the DE rotation.

* The team is waiting for Calais Campbell to hire his new agent so that they can agree on a new deal that would lower Campbell's $15M 2016 cap figure. It should be interesting to see what develops with Campbell if Steve Keim draws a hard line in the sand with him. While Campbell earned his second trip to the Pro Bowl, his play in the playoffs and at other times during the season was a disappointment and teams cannot afford inconsistent performances from the players it pays the most money to.

* For now it appears that Steve Keim is intent on bringing Cory Redding back at $4M. The coaches love his leadership in the locker room, and Redding did have a couple of big highlight plays, but overall he looked out of shape and at age 35 and a $4m cap figure, it's hard to justify keeping him after he posted a paltry 5 tackles and 0 sacks in 2015.

* Josh Mauro played early and often in games and recorded 16 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and 1 sack.

* Ed Stinson showed some flashes toward the end of the season, but he doesn't appear to be the kind of penetrator the team needs ever since it let go of Darnell Dockett. With a draft that is deep on 34DEs and DTs, some of whom thrive on penetration, it is very likely that Steve Keim will add an interior defensive lineman early in the draft.

OLB:

* BA&SK rave about the new starter at LOLB Markus Golden. BA calls him a 10+ sack guy.

* BA said a couple of days ago that he feels Alex Okafor can also be a 10+ sack guy if he can stay healthy and motivated.

* BA said the "we'll see" if they will be able to bring Dwight Freeney back.

* BA offered high hopes for Shaq Riddick, whom he said was nagged and slowed by hamstring injuries from the get-go last season. BA loves his length and athleticism off the edge.

* BA also expressed high hopes for newly signed CFL star Tristan Okpalaugo.

ILB:

* BA put all speculation to rest when he avowed that Deone Bucannon will remain the starter at WILB. BA loves his speed, tackling ferocity and pass coverage versatility at that position.

* All indications are that the coaches are pleased with Kevin Minter's progress. Keeping him focused on his role as a 2 down ILB is key.

* I have heard BA rave about the prospects of Alani Fua and Gabe Martin, as well as touting Kenny Demens' production on STs.

CB:

* They are elated with the season Patrick Peterson turned in.

* BA maintains that Justin Bethel possesses elite physical CB attributes---that he just needs time to hone his skills.

* It is no secret that BA loves Jerraud Powers and would be very happy to have him back if both side can agree on the money.

* BA and SK both mentioned that they intend on drafting a young CB, one preferably with good length and speed.

S:

* Tony Jefferson is now considered a core player and Steve Keim would like to sign him long-term.

* The intent is to start Tyrann Mathieu at FS, but they would also like to draft a young safety with centerfield range. Keeping Mathieu at safety would save them over $3M if they have to place the f-tag on him next year, as the average safety figure is $10M, while the CB figure is over $13M.

* It appears they are very keen on keeping D.J. Swearinger.

* Steve Keim indicated that they would like to have Rashad Johnson back and that he, like Jerraud Powers will receive "line in the sand" offers.

Hunches:

* I think they would like to bring DT Red Bryant back to fill the role of middle run stuffer when need be.

* It would surprise me if they move on from Corey Peters and add a more conventional NT in FA or the draft. They aren't saying much about Peters, which may be a tipping of their hand.

* While I don't see Keim overpaying for a FA like Malik Jackson, I do see him pouncing on one of the top interior defensive linemen early in the draft.

* I know most of you disagree, but I think that if Calais Campbell's new agent tries to play hard ball with Keim, that Keim will attempt to trade him. There is no way Keim is going to pay Campbell $15M this season.

* It will be interesting to see if Keim makes a run at WOLB Olivier Vernon, who would be a nifty and precise for for the Cardinals. It appears that the Dolphins are going to f-tag him with the purpose of trading him---thus, I could see Keim offering the 1st round pick plus a player or a 2017 pick.

* If the Cardinals do not address the CB situation in FA, what this says is that they intend to take a CB with one of their first three picks. Could Keim go with a CB at #29? It would depend on whether the defensive linemen they like are off the board. If so, I could see Keim taking a CB or a S at #29...and possibly moving down some spots to do so as he did with Deone Bucannon. The players to watch here are CB Mackensie Alexander of Clemson and Su'a Cravens of USC. Keim wants to get faster and more explosive in the secondary.
Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
1) I get the point about trying to get a future young QB in here but what the hell are those comments about Barkley? I know it wasn't much (7th) but if you don't know much about him wtf are you trading for him then? :mad: I personally think Barkley could perform as well as Stanton anyway & is mucho cheaper.

2) Make Dre a WR right now & try him out on KR as well because we all know he can't run between the tackles.

3) move on from Seindlein & add Alex Mack once he's available.

4) I personally think the Cards are making a mistake on Watford. I think he's under appreciated & not used as he should be. I liken him to Lance Smith back in the day that the Cards screwed the pooch on as well

5) Mitch as you say this team needs a PR in the worst way! The PP experiment is done IMO. He returns punts he should & fair catches the ones he shouldn't. Way overdue for a change!!! Add a KR as well...Dre Ellington cough cough

6) I'd luv to see the Cards draft Braxton Miller or Sterling Shepard at WR because I think both will be stars in this league much like Tyler Lockett:D

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
No freaking way they bring in Pacman Jones. No way.

I don't really see it either, although Pacman is playing superb football these days, and he might be more affordable after his brain fart versus Pittsburgh. The Bengals are saying that re-signing him is one of their top three off-season priorities. Thus, in all likelihood he will remain a Bengal.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I added the defense vibes/hunches to the main post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
1) I get the point about trying to get a future young QB in here but what the hell are those comments about Barkley? I know it wasn't much (7th) but if you don't know much about him wtf are you trading for him then? :mad: I personally think Barkley could perform as well as Stanton anyway & is mucho cheaper.

2) Make Dre a WR right now & try him out on KR as well because we all know he can't run between the tackles.

3) move on from Seindlein & add Alex Mack once he's available.

4) I personally think the Cards are making a mistake on Watford. I think he's under appreciated & not used as he should be. I liken him to Lance Smith back in the day that the Cards screwed the pooch on as well

5) Mitch as you say this team needs a PR in the worst way! The PP experiment is done IMO. He returns punts he should & fair catches the ones he shouldn't. Way overdue for a change!!! Add a KR as well...Dre Ellington cough cough

6) I'd luv to see the Cards draft Braxton Miller or Sterling Shepard at WR because I think both will be stars in this league much like Tyler Lockett:D

1. Bucky, you and I agree on Stanton, but BA wants him back, so unless Stanton gets a chance to start somewhere, he will re-sign in AZ. As for Barkley, I thought it was very telling that BA said he wanted a young QB in the same breath as saying he really didn't know what they have in Barkley.

2. I agree that Ellington should be played more at slot WR, but he's not tough enough physically or mentally to handle return duties. Think there's a decent chance they might trade Ellington.

3. I don't see them paying Alex Mack $10+M, which is what he is asking for. BA said they will add a center via FA or the draft, which would mean that they are moving on from Sendlein as a starter. I could see them bringing back Sendlein as a backup, however. I thought he has a very solid year until he started to break down physically late in the season---which understandably has been his problem in recent years.

4. I agree about Earl Watford being undervalued. I could see him working his way into the lineup this year if he gets his chance.

5. Two years in a row the Cardinals have played chicken at punt returner. That has got to change. I really have to question as many of us have just how effective Amos Jones is as a ST coordinator. In my opinion, he isn't getting as high an effort and production as he needs to across the board on STs. BA's loyalty to Jones is holding the team back in this regard.

6. The problem with Braxton Miller is that he's likely a top 80 in this draft and with other priorities it may be hard to justify taking him in the 2nd round. I liked what I saw on tape and during the Cardinals' pre-season last year of Jaxson Shipley at PR. He's got great hands, a superb first move to make defenders miss and the quick feet to advance the ball. However, as you say, if one of the top college punt returners is available, Keim may fill the need right then and there.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. KEIM won't pay CC $15m and no one else will. They'll get a deal done IMO.
2. Olivier Vernon is a 275lb. D-end.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Something lost last year, Mike Iupati.

Yeah, he is not the best pass blocker, he is not awful either.

Run blocking? HOLY MOLY! Guy is a beast.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think the QB looks like the end of last year. Hard to draft a guy when you want yo take a long look at Barkley. Maybe take an UDFA.

Might take an RB, if so likely an inside runner.

Unlikely to take a WR; too many more urgent needs.

Tight end looks set as well.

T/G both spots could be better addressed in free agency which makes sense looking at the cap.

Mack costs too much at C, reasonable to think they draft one.

Neither Golden or Okafor will ever get 10 sacks in the NFL. The CFL guy won't even make the regular season roster.

The draft is deep DE. If the Cards don't move up in round one they likely go DE & CB in the first two rounds.

Cards like starting ILBs.

Safety is tricky. They hope RJ stays at an acceptable price.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
1. KEIM won't pay CC $15m and no one else will. They'll get a deal done IMO.
2. Olivier Vernon is a 275lb. D-end.

Olivier Vernon (6-2, 268) is an OLB in the Cardinals' system, just as Dwight Freeney is (6-1, 268). They wouldn't play him at 34DE. They would start him on the weak side edge in the base defense and as the RDE in the 4 man rush.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think the QB looks like the end of last year. Hard to draft a guy when you want yo take a long look at Barkley. Maybe take an UDFA.

I think that SK will try to trade down from #29 to add another 3rd rounder and then we will see them take a QB in the third round. BA realizes the time is now.

Might take an RB, if so likely an inside runner.

I agree, although if they have a shot at drafting Tyler Irvin of San Jose St. in the 3rd or 4th round, I think they would.

Unlikely to take a WR; too many more urgent needs.

They probably have some sleeper WR pegged for the 5th (comp pick) or 6th round!

Tight end looks set as well.

BA will add one by either re-signing Gresham or signing a FA. Like you, I don't see them drafting one.

T/G both spots could be better addressed in free agency which makes sense looking at the cap.

If they sign Michael Harris (MIN), he can play both spots.

Mack costs too much at C, reasonable to think they draft one.

One has wonder whether a rookie can handle learning all the nuances of BA's offense in time to start game one. However, I think BA likes A.Q. Shipley enough or would be happy to bring Lyle Sendlein back if a rookie needs more time.

Neither Golden or Okafor will ever get 10 sacks in the NFL. The CFL guy won't even make the regular season roster.

Golden probably will get 10 sacks in a handful of seasons if he stays healthy. His motor and competitiveness are at times unstoppable. Okafor, not as much. Tristan Okpalaugo will probably have to beat out Shaq Riddick, that is, if they re-sign Dwight Freeney.

The draft is deep DE. If the Cards don't move up in round one they likely go DE & CB in the first two rounds.

Yes, unless they sign a good FA CB.

Cards like starting ILBs.

Yes. And I think they like Fua and Martin as #2s too.

Safety is tricky. They hope RJ stays at an acceptable price.

The plan is to start Tyrann Mathieu at FS. If Rashad Johnson will accept a role as nickel safety, which would mean a pay cut, then it could happen. Johnson may get more money somewhere else.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe you think this because he's playing in a 4-3 and not in a 3-4? DE's in a 4-3 are primary pass rushers, Irvin was playing OLB.

Irvin was the pass rushing OLB in a 4-3, and a sub package pass rusher. He wasn't very effective. Another guy who was the 6th or 7th best player on the defense he played on. His game speed never matched his timed speed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Irvin was the pass rushing OLB in a 4-3, and a sub package pass rusher. He wasn't very effective. Another guy who was the 6th or 7th best player on the defense he played on. His game speed never matched his timed speed.

Yeah... Interesting guy. If there's someone who could use a one-year Keim prove-it contract, it'd be him. Only played 71.4% of the defensive snaps for the Seahawks last year.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of market develops for him. You look at that Seahawks defense, and there are definitely 5-8 guys you'd choose before you got to him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah... Interesting guy. If there's someone who could use a one-year Keim prove-it contract, it'd be him. Only played 71.4% of the defensive snaps for the Seahawks last year.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of market develops for him. You look at that Seahawks defense, and there are definitely 5-8 guys you'd choose before you got to him.
If you believe the rumors, ATL & SF are potential landing spots. ATL makes sense as Quinn used to be on SEA coaching staff and Irvin did kind of let it out that he expects to be in ATL next year.