Venom (Amazing Spider-Man spinoff)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Sony is moving forward with Venom, a potential "Spider-Man" spinoff.

The trade says the studio is developing the project, based on the villain who appeared in Spider-Man 3 and is hoping the character could serve as an antidote to the aging "Spider-Man" franchise in the way that Fox has used Wolverine to add longevity to its "X-Men" franchise.

The studio had commissioned a draft of the script from Jacob Estes (Mean Creek), but the studio is considering going in a different direction from Estes' script and is seeking writers for a new draft.

Casting also is no simple matter. Topher Grace played the character in the film, but agents have been eyeing the role for their clients, as Sony is not yet convinced the actor can carry a tentpole picture.

The Hollywood Reporter adds that neither Sony nor Marvel would comment for the story.

Sony is also still developing a fourth "Spider-Man" film for 2011.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this time they could cast someone much more like the comic character of Eddie Brock.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh. I hate Venom (and carnage). Stupid characters, IMO.

I'm with you to a point. I liked the post Secret Wars drama with the suit/symbiote and even the intro to Venom, but I didn't care for everything that happened after that - Carnage and other symbiotes, Venom as more of a hero, etc.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lizard and Kraven the Hunter is who I'd like to see.

I've never heard of spider slayers.

:thud:

Robotic slayers were created by Professor Smythe and later by his own son, Alistair. J. Jonah Jameson funded Smythe's work. At one time Jameson convinced another scientist to create some slayers - she, Marla, eventually married Jameson. They've appeared a lot over the years. First appeared in Amazing #25 (1965).

They were in Ultimate Spidey starting with #99 - mentioned by Fury to keep Peter from going rogue.

Last edited:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you to a point. I liked the post Secret Wars drama with the suit/symbiote and even the intro to Venom, but I didn't care for everything that happened after that - Carnage and other symbiotes, Venom as more of a hero, etc.

Aw, the McFarelane, Michelline stuff was great! Somewhere between simplistic and dark it helped make Venom a marquee villain.

All that crap that came later didn't help.

Not a big carnage fan.

The best way to do it may be in the survival horror type of story, like a Venom: Run.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
ugh. I hate Venom (and carnage). Stupid characters, IMO.

Here is a short Venom movie (Truth in Journalism), that has a different take on the character. It is really well done for a 17 minute film.

This was done by the same guy who did the excellent Punisher short with Thomas Jane (Dirty Laundry) a while back.

If the new movie can explore the character in a vein similar to this, I'd be happy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting sick of comic book movies. That's all we hear about now.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting sick of comic book movies. That's all we hear about now.

I know what you mean. It has become the dominate movie-type.

That said...Danny McBride would be my choice for Eddie Brock.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Venom and carnage are my two favorite comic book villains. Venom is just bad ass and carnage was super demonic looking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose