Valley Real Estate

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Sigh. Unfortunately, institutional investors plus iBuyers (Zillow, Opendoor, etc) are really driving prices up. It's cooled off a little this fall/winter but with so many people moving into the valley, it'll heat up again by Feb/March.

I got a ridiculous offer for my townhouse in the Biltmore area, so I'm moving to a new build in Goodyear! The west valley has been one of the last bastions of affordability. Never thought I'd move west, lol.

I have clients who've been looking to buy for months - they keep getting outbid and are really frustrated. Even new builds are at least 1 yr out, or only selling spec homes. Crazy.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh. Unfortunately, institutional investors plus iBuyers (Zillow, Opendoor, etc) are really driving prices up. It's cooled off a little this fall/winter but with so many people moving into the valley, it'll heat up again by Feb/March.

I got a ridiculous offer for my townhouse in the Biltmore area, so I'm moving to a new build in Goodyear! The west valley has been one of the last bastions of affordability. Never thought I'd move west, lol.

I have clients who've been looking to buy for months - they keep getting outbid and are really frustrated. Even new builds are at least 1 yr out, or only selling spec homes. Crazy.
And turning many in to rentals, either Short term or long term.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The house I am buying, I had to get into a bidding war and ended up 80k over asking just to get it. It's worth it so I was prepared to do so but damn

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The house I am buying, I had to get into a bidding war and ended up 80k over asking just to get it. It's worth it so I was prepared to do so but damn
What makes it worth so much more to you? Is it one you had your eye on before the market prices blew up?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes it worth so much more to you? Is it one you had your eye on before the market prices blew up?
I mean, market prices have been blowing up for a long time.

In general, watching the market for months, I thought this would appraise well above their ask anyway. The neighborhood it is in is very desirable and most the houses are much bigger than the one I bought.

It's only going to go up.

I needed 6 bedrooms, it has it and bells on top.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In general, watching the market for months, I thought this would appraise well above their ask anyway. The neighborhood it is in is very desirable and most the houses are much bigger than the one I bought.

What part of town?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a text or call at least once or twice a day looking to buy my home.
I still get them 2-3 times a week, and I sold my house 2 years ago!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Sounds like you did well for yourself.. Congrats. As far as "It's only going up" we'll see. A correction could be on the horizon. These price increases are not sustainable for our market for Valley buyers.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you did well for yourself.. Congrats. As far as "It's only going up" we'll see. A correction could be on the horizon. These price increases are not sustainable for our market for Valley buyers.
I've been saying that for like four years. Started feeling this is more of a reset than it is bubble. Even if we hit a correction, I don't expect it to be huge and over time it raises again regardless unless everything else falls apart.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until the demand starts to go down, I don't think there will be a big correction. I thought there was going to be one 2 years ago, which is why I sold. (besides wanting to leave AZ of course)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I've been saying that for like four years. Started feeling this is more of a reset than it is bubble. Even if we hit a correction, I don't expect it to be huge and over time it raises again regardless unless everything else falls apart.
Yup. That’s the lifecycle of real estate. Numbers that seem crazy now seem beyond sane in 10 years.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Any updates on the Phoenix real estate market? From what I have seen the prices are ridiculous; homes that sold for $270K in 2018 are now listing for $500K. Any opinions on when an adjustment is going to happen?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates on the Phoenix real estate market? From what I have seen the prices are ridiculous; homes that sold for $270K in 2018 are now listing for $500K. Any opinions on when an adjustment is going to happen?
Still ridiculous

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Been part of the real estate business for over 30 years, and have never seen anything like what we are experiencing at present. List prices don't mean a damn thing, as what little actually hits the market instantly has bidding wars and ultimately sells for a multiple above list price. Truly insane and totally unsustainable.
If the broader economy were to experience some type of recession where jobs are lost and personal incomes are ruined, anyone who has bought recently has the potential of getting destroyed.

All else being equal and we don't experience any major economic downturns, the real estate market should remain oveheated at least for the next 12 months, with the only dynamic that can offer some potential for stalling the craziness, would be interest rates reaching levels that push out a segment of buyers...

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One would think we're due for some precedented times one of these years, but alas, unprecedented rules the day.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, is the boom caused by an influx of transplants from Cali, Oregon, and Washington State? Retirees?
It is caused by people moving in from everywhere - of course, the biggest state in the Union, which is right next door, will have the most people, but far more in total from the Midwest

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm curious, is the boom caused by an influx of transplants from Cali, Oregon, and Washington State? Retirees?
The "boom" isn't just a Phoenix phenomena. Real estate across the country has gone nuts. Phoenix is likely at the upper end of the craziness though...
The reasons for this "gold rush" cycle are many, some of which have ties to decisions that were made at the federal level many years ago. When the Fed chose to double-down on Quantitative Easing, along with keeping interest rates at historic lows for over a decade, the foundation was put in...
Real estate in the valley has been on a steady rise over the course of the past decade or more. What ignited and amplified the craziness, above and beyond the factors that have been around for a while now, is the Cali migration, along with migration from many other states where the "work from anywhere" shift has brought Arizona an elevated level of new residents who chose to leave poor-weather climates.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "boom" isn't just a Phoenix phenomena. Real estate across the country has gone nuts. Phoenix is likely at the upper end of the craziness though...
The reasons for this "gold rush" cycle are many, some of which have ties to decisions that were made at the federal level many years ago. When the Fed chose to double-down on Quantitative Easing, along with keeping interest rates at historic lows for over a decade, the foundation was put in...
Real estate in the valley has been on a steady rise over the course of the past decade or more. What ignited and amplified the craziness, above and beyond the factors that have been around for a while now, is the Cali migration, along with migration from many other states where the "work from anywhere" shift has brought Arizona an elevated level of new residents who chose to leave poor-weather climates.
I would also add the Short-term Rental effect (probably 10% of my neighborhood are STR's) as well as corporate investors

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's multi-faceted, but long term easy money policies(low interest rates) are the main culprit in skyrocketing asset values in my opinion. Where people are departing and arriving has a lot of factors from cost of living, climate, job opportunities, and proximity to families. AZ has a lower cost of living than the west coast, great weather 8 months out of the year, a fast growing economy, and is a short flight or drive to those states you mentioned.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson