Urban on the State of the Cardinals

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Quick thoughts on Urban’s assessment of Cards’ offseason. I like what he said about Gannon imposing a new philosophy on the identity of this team. It needed one badly, so this is most welcome. Next up was the receiver corp which is looking to go big. It’s a worthy idea but losing sight of Dortch would be a significant mistake. This team needs heart and he brings an ample supply. I don’t want to oversell Tune, but I think he’s going to watch. He plays to win and he’s basically fearless. He can also run. I’m hoping he’s the highlight of preseason. Center is still unsettled. If Froholdt was blowing people away, Roullier wouldn’t have been invited to visit. Pass rush looks very concerning. Finally the Baker situation is far from resolved. Since the team is going nowhere win-wise you have to ask if Baker’s leadership is worth the kind of money he’s asking to receive. Especially with Simmons being targeted at safety, you have to think the Cards are weighing their options.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Quick thoughts on Urban’s assessment of Cards’ offseason. I like what he said about Gannon imposing a new philosophy on the identity of this team. It needed one badly, so this is most welcome. Next up was the receiver corp which is looking to go big. It’s a worthy idea but losing sight of Dortch would be a significant mistake. This team needs heart and he brings an ample supply. I don’t want to oversell Tune, but I think he’s going to watch. He plays to win and he’s basically fearless. He can also run. I’m hoping he’s the highlight of preseason. Center is still unsettled. If Froholdt was blowing people away, Roullier wouldn’t have been invited to visit. Pass rush looks very concerning. Finally the Baker situation is far from resolved. Since the team is going nowhere win-wise you have to ask if Baker’s leadership is worth the kind of money he’s asking to receive. Especially with Simmons being targeted at safety, you have to think the Cards are weighing their options.

Just read it.

Not sure why Urban is questioning Thomas and Sanders. Seems to me that if they line up in a 4-3 Thomas can play DE...might even do that in 3-4 alignment, while Sanders can play WIL to Collins at SAM. Am I way off here?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Just read it.

Not sure why Urban is questioning Thomas and Sanders. Seems to me that if they line up in a 4-3 Thomas can play DE...might even do that in 3-4 alignment, while Sanders can play WIL to Collins at SAM. Am I way off here?
The Eagles actually played some 5 man lines, but the key was creating blocking confusion. They even used stunts where Reddick would loop around 2 players to accentuate the confusion. I’m not sure with Simmons at safety that the Cards have a rusher quick enough to use that technique.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The Eagles actually played some 5 man lines, but the key was creating blocking confusion. They even used stunts where Reddick would loop around 2 players to accentuate the confusion. I’m not sure with Simmons at safety that the Cards have a rusher quick enough to use that technique.
Maybe...but I think there's still a clear place for both Thomas and Sanders.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just read it.

How I read it is they just aren’t very good. I do hope that sentiment is inaccurate, but the cupboard could be very bare on defense this year if neither one can generate a rush of any kind. I was excited for them last year at this time and they seemed to both progress decently in their first year. Time will tell.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
How I read it is they just aren’t very good. I do hope that sentiment is inaccurate, but the cupboard could be very bare on defense this year if neither one can generate a rush of any kind. I was excited for them last year at this time and they seemed to both progress decently in their first year. Time will tell.
Exactly, that is Urban and not reality on a VJ/Kingsbury perspective

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson