UK Voted Zeppelin 'Ideal Supergroup'

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes...I'm well aware that it was the UK who determined this...Nevertheless..I found it quite interesting.... It pretty much coincides w/the "ASFN All-Star Band Jam" Polls that most of us at the time participated in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4669597.stm

Zeppelin voted 'ideal supergroup'

Stairway to Heaven is Led Zeppelin's most famous song

The four members of Led Zeppelin have been voted the UK's ideal supergroup, with Robert Plant beating the late Freddie Mercury to best singer.

About 3,500 music fans were polled for Planet Rock Radio and were asked to create their fantasy band.

Jimmy Page won best guitarist, followed by Guns N' Roses' Slash and Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore.

And John Paul Jones was named top bassist, with John Bonham, who died in 1980, winning best drummer.

Robert Plant
Robert Plant is the lead singer

Presenter Trevor Dann, of Planet Rock radio, which compiled the poll, said: "This is an amazing result. Listeners could have voted for any classic rock artists when creating their fantasy supergroup."

Zeppelin's classic 1971 hit Stairway to Heaven was recently named the nation's favourite rock song of all time recently.

Here are the lists in full:

Best singer

1. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
2. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
3. Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company)
4. David Coverdale (Deep Purple, Whitesnake)
5. Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
6. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
7. Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow)
8. Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
9. Roger Daltrey (The Who)
10. Bono (U2)

Best guitarist

1. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
2. Slash (Guns N' Roses)
3. Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Angus Young (AC/DC)
6. Gary Moore
7. Brian May (Queen)
8. Joe Satriani
9. Steve Vai
10. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Best bassist

1. John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
2. John Entwistle (The Who)
3. Chris Squire (Yes)
4. Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy)
5. Geddy Lee (Rush)
6. Jack Bruce (Cream)
7. Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
8. Lemmy (Motorhead)
9. Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
10. Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

Best drummer

1. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
2. Neil Peart (Rush)
3. Keith Moon (The Who)
4. Cozy Powell (Black Sabbath, Rainbow)
5. Phil Collins (Genesis)
6. Ginger Baker (Cream)
7. Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
8. Roger Taylor (Queen)
9. Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters)
10. Eric Carr (Kiss)

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Truely this is a tragedy. Led Zepp no doubt all the way! :notworthy

But how can any best guitarist and drummer list not include the Van Halen brothers?

I know Van Halen was never big in the UK, but certainly somebody over there knows their stuff. :rolleyes:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
AZ Shocker said:
Truely this is a tragedy. Led Zepp no doubt all the way! :notworthy

But how can any best guitarist and drummer list not include the Van Halen brothers?

I know Van Halen was never big in the UK, but certainly somebody over there knows their stuff. :rolleyes:

Overall can't argue too much with the results but Angus Young in the top 5? Pahleez.

I totally agree with you Shocker that Eddie should have been in there but to me Alex isn't all that special of a drummer. I'm not a big fan of how he records his drums with that flat snare sound and all the high end from the cymbals going wild. but that's just me :)

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well you wouldn't be the first to say that about Alex sound. But it is very idenifyable and somewhat unique. Plus I think it has to be that way to not cut too much into Eddie's sound.

I actually prefer the higher end frequecies in recorded "rock" music. Give me more "treble" and just a notch above normal in the "bass" dept. I wanna hear those gee-tars man! But I do also wanna hear that base drum thump! :thumbup:

There are some very good drummers out there who still cannot figure out even how to play "Jump" correctly. lol :D
I've been playing since I was 13 and can honestly say that Alex drumming along with Bonham is the hardest to play for me out of those on that list. Even harder than Peart most of the times. You gotta go into the "deep" album cuts to truely appreciate his skills. There are many...many things is his drumming that drive me "INSANE" while I'm trying to figure out how to dublicate.

This will be "sacriligious" to some, but as a rock drummer and accounting for skill level...I think he should be 3rd on that list. And maybe even #2, but people would shot me for moving him ahead of Neil Peart. lol

Best drummer

1. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
2. Neil Peart (Rush)
3. Alex Van Halen
4. Keith Moon (The Who)
5. Cozy Powell (Black Sabbath, Rainbow)
6. Phil Collins (Genesis)
7. Ginger Baker (Cream)
8. Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
9. Roger Taylor (Queen)
10. Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters)
11. Eric Carr (Kiss) Your kidding right?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I'd rank em something like this:

1. John Bonham (zep)
2. Phil Collins (genesis)
3. Terry Bozzio (zappa, jeff beck, others)
4. Keith Moon (who)
5. Neil Peart (rush)
6. Steve Gadd (steely dan, others)
7. Simon Phillips (toto, jeff beck, who, others)
8. Stewart Copeland (police)
9. Vinnie Colaiuta (zappa, sting, others)
10. Prairie Prince (xtc, others)

Honorable mention: Gavin Harrison (porcupine tree), ginger Baker (cream), Bill Bruford (king crimson, yes, others)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard