Ugly Betty

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else catch this show? I'm guessing you did, as it got 16.1 million viewers vs. Survivor's 16.5 million.

It's campy...very much so. It's cute. Very much so.

I liked the premiere and although it is too neat and cliched and silly, I found myself laughing and smiling a lot. America Ferrara's acting nails the show completely.

I'll be watching the next 4-5 eps to see where it goes...but it is different and interesting.

I'm curious to how others see it.

Warning....it's an EXTREMELY over the top show, given its columbian tella-novella roots. But America's acting and character are awesome.

I'll have to watch Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants now to see her un-Bettified.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still like this show, if only for America who totally makes it interesting. It's really not my kind of show, but I have a grin the whole time with it. It's totally cheesy, but when you acknowledge you are being cheesy and aren't trying to be serious I can accept the cheese factor.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is too over the top for my wife and I...we liked it, but just a bit much.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's very over the top...like I said, not usually my style but something about it makes me smile. Complete throwaway show right now, but "cute."

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hayek to Appear in Ugly Betty Arc
Source: ABC
October 16, 2006

Executive producer Salma Hayek will go in front of the cameras for a multi-episode story arc on "Ugly Betty," ABC's new hit comedy. The role marks Hayek's first appearance in a network television series. Her first guest starring appearance will be in the "Ugly Betty" episode "Trust, Lust, and Must," airing Thursday, November 2 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. She'll appear in three more episodes throughout the month of November.

Hayek will play Sofia Reyes, a newcomer to the Mode scene who will leave a lasting impression on Daniel Meade (Eric Mabius) and Betty Suarez (America Ferrera).

"Ugly Betty" stars America Ferrera as Betty Suarez, Eric Mabius as Daniel Meade, Alan Dale as Bradford Meade, Tony Plana as Ignacio, Ana Ortiz as Hilda, Ashley Jensen as Christina, Becki Newton as Amanda, Mark Indelicato as Justin and Vanessa Williams as Wilhelmina Slater. Recurring guest stars are Michael Urie as Marc and Kevin Sussman as Walter.

Based on "Yo Soy Betty La Fea," the groundbreaking Colombian telenovela that became an international phenomenon, "Ugly Betty" is from Touchstone Television.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what this show is about but with Salma guest starring tonight I'll be taping and watching after Survivor.

Taco

Veteran
Reaction score
This is a great series

great cliff hanger or should i say cliff hangers

can't wait until next season

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really good first season of this show. I totally dig its vibe and silliness. Finale was great and all the story lines are hanging. The addition of Rebbeca Romijn was the icing on the cake for me here.

I'm excited for next season...Mark and Amanda are great, they are all great.

So, is Bradford Amanda's dad if Faye is her mom? They had that affair for many, many years. And if so, that makes her half-sister to Daniel and Alexis...and if so, that means Daniel was tagging his half sister...ewww.

Taco

Veteran
Reaction score
So, is Bradford Amanda's dad if Faye is her mom? They had that affair for many, many years. And if so, that makes her half-sister to Daniel and Alexis...and if so, that means Daniel was tagging his half sister...ewww.

:lol:

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight?

Oh, wow. I'm actually very excited for this show. As much so as some others...not as much as Office and Lost and FNL, but pretty much more than everything else.

You go, Betty!

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the fat suit on Amanda...because serioiusly, it's been three weeks. She wouldn't get that big or lumpy that fast.

On a show that celebrates its camp, that was just too much...so you KNOW it was way over the top.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I've never seen it, but I do know it's based on a Mexican soap-opera "Betty La Fea" Very campy and over-the-top (typical Spanish soap). It wasn't really a comedy, tho, in the regular sense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman