Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two Runners Die in China Marathon

Mon Oct 18, 2004

BEIJING (Reuters) -
Two runners, a college student and a retired man, died during the Beijing international marathon, Xinhua news agency said on Monday.

Liu Hongbin, 20, a student at Beijing Jiaotong University, and the unidentified retired man collapsed during Sunday's race and died in hospital.

The weather was mild at the time but Xinhua suggested there may have been a lack of water. "Amateur participants complained that no drinking water was available along the course after 25 kilometers," it said.

Eleven other runners were taken to hospital for emergency treatment, the agency said. Some 400 competitors suffered ligament injuries.

Xinhua said about 25,000 people took part in Sunday's 42 km (26.2 mile) race.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Just wondering...how far would one run in a marathon say after 15.5 miles (in a 26.2 mile race) to look for that cup of water? Do you just keep telling yerself...."the water station must be in the next mile...." or do you just bag it on mile 24 and say "this sucks!"

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Just wondering...how far would one run in a marathon say after 15.5 miles (in a 26.2 mile race) to look for that cup of water? Do you just keep telling yerself...."the water station must be in the next mile...." or do you just bag it on mile 24 and say "this sucks!"
Exactly what I was thinking! My last race was a 1/2 marathon & they had water EVERY mile. Ridiculous...:confused:

:MMhearsattorneyspreparingtheircases:

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
marathon_mom said:
Exactly what I was thinking! My last race was a 1/2 marathon & they had water EVERY mile. Ridiculous...:confused:

:MMhearsattorneyspreparingtheircases:

Pfft its china. You don't get to sue in china...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn