Troy Niklas

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is up with this guy? I know he has a bad hand but he looks like an UDFA.

I know it is way too early to judge but I truly hope we didn't waste this pick.

This kid doesn't even flash. I don't see anything from him.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He hasn't been featured much in the receiving game. Saw him put on some decent blocks against DE's.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think he's limited athletically & doesn't possess much speed, thus limiting how effective he's gonna be as an nfl player in the passing game. We already have the same player in Carlson, so why we used a 2nd rounder on this kid I have no idea.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he's limited athletically & doesn't possess much speed, thus limiting how effective he's gonna be as an nfl player in the passing game. We already have the same player in Carlson, so why we used a 2nd rounder on this kid I have no idea.

I disagree. I've been an avid ND fan for 50 years & watched a ton of Niklas. Let's not forget how unhappy everyone on this board was with the Floyd pick. This kid is a much better blocker than Carlson, much better. He also has the potential to be a strong pass receiving TE also. He's battled fluky injuries that have limited his snaps. Give the kid a little time & he won't disappoint.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Niklas may turn out okay but I have a hard time agreeing with drafting a block-first TE in round 2.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In a fair contest, he'd be beaten out by Andre Hardy, but we all know that's not what will happen. As for block first TE's, I thought that was the type BA preferred.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is. But using a 2nd round pick on that type of player is very questionable.

Yup. My hope is that the broken hand has limited Nikklas's effectiveness. However, if you look at Nikklas, Eifert, and Rudolph, Notre Dame TEs seem to grow slow.

Personally, I believe we drafted a limited player in the 2nd round ala Minter the year before. Not that either are bad fits or won't produce, but limited players none the less.

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup. My hope is that the broken hand has limited Nikklas's effectiveness. However, if you look at Nikklas, Eifert, and Rudolph, Notre Dame TEs seem to grow slow.

Personally, I believe we drafted a limited player in the 2nd round ala Minter the year before. Not that either are bad fits or won't produce, but limited players none the less.

I wanted Niklas in Rd. 2 for the Giants who absolutely stink at TE. Remember he's coming off that sports hernia, also. I'm glad I'll have a chance to watch him in AZ

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he has a chance to be good someday the size and speed combo is compelling I just don't think he has the feel or instincts for the position so it's going to take him a few years to learn what the hell he's doing. But he's young and new to the position and he's the nephew of Bruce Mathews so football is in his blood so to speak.

Does seem like the hernia and the hand injury have set him way back this year, I'd be surprised if he's even active the first few weeks of the season on game days.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Niklas has played TE for little over 2 years and people are bitching already.Jeez .Give the kid a chance to get healthy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Niklas has played TE for little over 2 years and people are bitching already.Jeez .Give the kid a chance to get healthy.

It's because he's a 2nd rounder. if he's a 4th round no problem, 2nd rounders are expected to play right away, at least be active, it looks like he'll be inactive on most game days unless both Housler and Fells fail to make the final roster.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he looked really good blocking.

Didn't get many balls thrown this way. One of them was a fastball from Logan who was only a few yards away from him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he looked really good blocking.

Didn't get many balls thrown this way. One of them was a fastball from Logan who was only a few yards away from him.

Yeah he can block.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
It's because he's a 2nd rounder. if he's a 4th round no problem, 2nd rounders are expected to play right away, at least be active, it looks like he'll be inactive on most game days unless both Housler and Fells fail to make the final roster.

Housler can`t block and seems to have skillet hands at the worst moments and Darren Fells still a project.I think as soon as Niklas gets healthier he sees a lot of playing time.I just don`t see the need for the uproar.:sad:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Housler can`t block and seems to have skillet hands at the worst moments and Darren Fells still a project.I think as soon as Niklas gets healthier he sees a lot of playing time.I just don`t see the need for the uproar.:sad:

We like to play 2 TE's so we really need a 2nd one. I think Fells and Housler are way ahead of Niklas but we're not going to keep all 4 so we'll cut one of them.

So if anybody gets hurt, Niklas has to play this year, I don't think he's close to ready to do that yet.

Down the line he'll be better than Housler and possibly Fells, I'm not overly high on Fells yet either, but right now for a 2nd round pick he looks like he has a long ways to go.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson