Trade Deadline Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah well the Celtics have a no return policy. It must stink to be a Nets fan!

True.

I have to visit a Nets forum sometime if they have one.

Actually if they have fans, I feel sorry for them.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
LOL... comparing Tucker to those guys is a joke. Look... I think McD sucks at his job but I'm not going to bash him just to bash him. Tucker is a 7th, 8th man on a good team. Ibaka is clearly still a starter and Korver's shooting is still a major asset for any team to get.

Ibaka is clearly in a different category, but I'm not sure that Korver has theoretically more value than Tucker.

I think that McD had better offers than the one that he finally settled down for Tucker but he did wait until the final minutes whether a desperate team is matching his demands. It did not work out, but the risk was also quite low since Tucker's value was quite low as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Here is the trade for Mike Scott explained from Arizona Sports and Adrian Wojnarowski. Essentially the Suns trade a second round draft pick that should not convey and the Suns move closer to the salary cap floor.

The Phoenix Suns moved closer to the salary cap floor at the trade deadline by acquiring forward Mike Scott from the Atlanta Hawks along with cash and the rights to Cenk Akyol, according to The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Suns included their own 2017 second-round pick in the deal with a top-55 protection.

Scott is on an expiring deal worth $3.3 million. His full year salary now counts toward the Suns’ salary cap but Phoenix only must pay the forward the remaining amount for the rest of the year. ESPN’s Kevin Pelton projects the move should save the Suns about $2.4 million, not counting whatever cash amount Atlanta sends back.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1032678/suns-trade-mike-scott-send-cash-hawks/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Now, who is Cenk Akyol?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns have been building through the draft. Now they need to focus on winning because they have had their swats at the pinata.

building on the likes of Dragan Bender?

May as well be building on top of a sand dune

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I wonder how many of us were doing that great to be drafted by an NBA team at age 18.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

He likely isn't going to be the cornerstone of the franchise or anything quite like that, but I think he will be a very good player that is pretty good at just about everything.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Me too.

He is another non-existant part of the deal.

Another thought. Does the Suns top 55 protected 2nd round pick traded to Atlanta expire after the draft in 2017.

In other words, I'm hoping the draft pick does not carry forward into future drafts where it becomes unprotected.

I'm going to ask my wife. :)

Errntknght

Reaction score
I really don't remember but I'm sure I thought they'd do well and I wouldn't be shocked to find out I put that as the upper limit of what they could do. I still think they had the talent to win somewhere around 50 games but you never know in advance how they'll come together. I've been on both sides of it, I'm certainly not always correct but I'm not embarrassed by my track record.

No you didn't overshoot that much... I was the one that put 55 wins out there. I'd just watched a preseason game where everything was working so well and in my euphoria I upped my guess by 15 wins. Heck, up until I did that I was calling for Hornacek's head - and before long I was doing it again.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of the Nets... I wonder if the suns would target Brook Lopez. Word is they are asking for a first rounder and a second rounder...The previous price was two first rounders.

Anyone interested?

WOW...Not one reply on Brook Lopez?? Now you guys are making me desperate so I have to reply to myself...SAD.
:violin:

He's one of the better centers in the NBA and he's not a meanie like the technical king Cousins that had you all so scared. He's a good guy and a good center and could be had on the cheap...Yeah he'd be a one year rental hence the cheap price. We have a slew of second rounders now to throw at them!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you didn't overshoot that much... I was the one that put 55 wins out there. I'd just watched a preseason game where everything was working so well and in my euphoria I upped my guess by 15 wins. Heck, up until I did that I was calling for Hornacek's head - and before long I was doing it again.

I really don't remember but it has little bearing on today, preseason projections aren't much more than wild guesses. And had Dragic not complained to the media about having to sacrifice, who knows how that season would have played out? The sad part is, I think that was more a language problem than ego on Goran's part yet it set off a series of events that led to one of our worst seasons ever.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
WOW...Not one reply on Brook Lopez?? Now you guys are making me desperate so I have to reply to myself...SAD.
:violin:

He's one of the better centers in the NBA and he's not a meanie like the technical king Cousins that had you all so scared. He's a good guy and a good center and could be had on the cheap...Yeah he'd be a one year rental hence the cheap price. We have a slew of second rounders now to throw at them!

I think the Suns might have jumped on the opportunity to trade for Brook Lopez, if the asking price was only a first round pick (not in this draft) and a second round pick. However, the Suns did not want to jeopardize their draft position. They will likely get another opportunity to trade for Brook if they so desire.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What is Philly doing? You're franchise center has durability issues so you trade your elite rim-protecting backup center who is 22 years old for scraps?

BC gonna ruin the treasure chest Hinkie set up for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is Philly doing? You're franchise center has durability issues so you trade your elite rim-protecting backup center who is 22 years old for scraps?

BC gonna ruin the treasure chest Hinkie set up for him.

You'd give Noel the big deal he's looking for? He's already turned down Philly's offer and there isn't much of a market for athletic big men that only play one end of the court and that's before you consider the worrisome knees.

AFAIC Hinkie ruined his own treasure chest. The only reason Noel and Embiid were available for Philly in the first place is because other teams were scared off by the medicals. It's playing out the way many organizations expected it to. Next step, some desperate organization will pay out big for Noel, who will then retire for medical reasons a season or so later.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Brightside with a good take on B Knight and Chandler staying:

Suns show patience seldom seen in Phoenix

Yes, some teams made out like bandits and the Suns did not.

For sure, the Pelicans (Cousins), Mavericks (Noel), Thunder (Gibson, McDermott) andRaptors (Ibaka, Tucker) all did well this past week without giving up equal value.

But no one else did much of anything positive for their team’s outlook, partly because of the disparate views of player value going around this week. And that includes the Suns.

On one hand, they failed to find a new home for Brandon Knight. But on the other, I wouldn’t want the Suns to take on an even bigger contract, or send out a pick, just to get rid of him at the very lowest point of his career. He has not been a locker room disruption at all, and might just rebound in the season’s final games to repair a bit of value this summer when there’s more time to deal.

On another hand, they failed to turn Tyson Chandler’s resurgent season into any value, and there were rumors of Portland being interested in Chandler until they acquired Jusuf Nurkicinstead. But remember the parameters of that Blazers trade? The Blazers wanted to rid themselves of Mason Plumlee ahead of his RFA status, and the Nuggets had to include a first round pick in the deal along with Nurkic. I would rather have Tyson Chandler for two more seasons than a dual Plumlee/Len RFA offseason where the Suns feel compelled to give one of them market money ($20 million per year for 4 years?) AND have to give up a future #1 pick in the trade too. No thanks.

The market out there this week was weak.

Unfortunately.

Full Article:
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017/2/23/14696884/suns-show-patience-seldom-seen-in-phoenix

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the Suns might have jumped on the opportunity to trade for Brook Lopez, if the asking price was only a first round pick (not in this draft) and a second round pick. However, the Suns did not want to jeopardize their draft position. They will likely get another opportunity to trade for Brook if they so desire.

Yeah I was thinking this summer on that... maybe. I think he's worth a look at anyway if we want guys to play with Bledsoe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn