Tony Clark back with the DBacks

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Good News!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3493542

First baseman Tony Clark has been traded from the San Diego Padres to the Arizona Diamondbacks, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported.

Under his contract with the Padres, Clark would have received $500,000 from the Padres if traded, but he waived that clause in order to complete the trade.

Clark spent the previous three seasons in Arizona, where he was mainly used as a pinch hitter and provided the D-backs with a veteran clubhouse influence.

Clark, 36, is currently hitting .239 with three doubles and one home run in 88 at-bats. He has started only one game at first in San Diego.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Cool. Clark hasn't been doing much of anything this year, but maybe a trip back to AZ will help him a bit. This was mainly a clubhouse move in my opinion. I doubt he sees too much time.

What was the story with him last year? I can't quite remember. Did'nt he decide to take more money with SD even though the Dbacks gave him an offer?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So does this mean we are probally done and not signing or trading for a new bat? By the way I like Clark signing hopefully he can come in and give us a few quality games.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
well, that may solve the bench problem, but we still need a LF. Desperatly!
A cleanup hitting LF -- I have to agree.

But anything less than that, we already have one in LF -- the second best hitter on the team, CoJack. And a much defensively in LF than he was at 1B.

I am so glad to see Tony Clark back on the D'backs. He can help the D'backs in so many ways. Even if he does it in just a few ways, it's a step in the right directlon.

Now I just hope that Melvin manages the roster well. Uhhhhhh, yeah.

Only if he promises to let Chip Hale pull the strings and do the talking.

Attachments

• puppet manager.jpg
    puppet manager.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 93
Reaction score
A cleanup hitting LF -- I have to agree.

But anything less than that, we already have one in LF -- the second best hitter on the team, CoJack. And a much defensively in LF than he was at 1B.

I am so glad to see Tony Clark back on the D'backs. He can help the D'backs in so many ways. Even if he does it in just a few ways, it's a step in the right directlon.

Now I just hope that Melvin manages the roster well. Uhhhhhh, yeah.

Only if he promises to let Chip Hale pull the strings and do the talking.
Yea, i feel the same way, but is it really a possibility with a farm system thats been depleted cuz of the Haren trade (not bashing the trade in any way). I'm not sure if they'll be willing to trade away one of da young starters, maybe they'll trade O-Dogg whos contract is up and likely wants a lot of $$, probably too much. What do u guys think of replacing O-Dogg w/Augie (for now) and getting the big LF?

I hope im not torched for saying this but there is always Bonds which would be cheap, and we wouldn't have to give up any of our young players! I just cant stand seeing this offense put up 0s inning after inning after inning anymore!

Like i said, TC is a nice addition but he definatley is not gonna carry the offense on his back, and that is what we may need!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Yea, i feel the same way, but is it really a possibility with a farm system thats been depleted cuz of the Haren trade (not bashing the trade in any way). I'm not sure if they'll be willing to trade away one of da young starters, maybe they'll trade O-Dogg whos contract is up and likely wants a lot of $$, probably too much. What do u guys think of replacing O-Dogg w/Augie (for now) and getting the big LF?

I hope im not torched for saying this but there is always Bonds which would be cheap, and we wouldn't have to give up any of our young players! I just cant stand seeing this offense put up 0s inning after inning after inning anymore!

Like i said, TC is a nice addition but he definatley is not gonna carry the offense on his back, and that is what we may need!

I'd say there is a reason why Augie has bounced around his entire career, being a minor leaguer and a utility guy, whereas Orlando Hudson has been an All Star and a Gold Glove winner. I think it's a terrible idea, but one I have no doubt the DBacks' brass has entertained.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

Big contract or not we have plenty of dough to spend on Hudson AND WE BETTER! Randy and his 15 mil contract will come off the books next year, even WITH Randy's 15 mil on the books our total payroll this season is 66 mil which ranks 23rd in the majors. He's our best fielder (one of the best in the majors) and our most consistant hitter constantly floating around .300 not to mention a leader/mentor in the locker room for the young guys
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited:
Reaction score
i know hudson is our most valuble player, defensively at least (though that doesnt say much, *w/our defense*), but if the dbacks arent gonna re-sign him, which they certainly may not, then they gotta trade him right now. maybe we can get something *good* out of him if we trade him *and a minor leaguer or two*. Im just sayin.

Last edited:

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
i know hudson is our most valuble player, defensively at least (though that doesnt say much, *w/our defense*), but if the dbacks arent gonna re-sign him, which they certainly may not, then they gotta trade him right now. maybe we can get something *good* out of him if we trade him *and a minor leaguer or two*. Im just sayin.
Hudson is a gold glove 2nd basemen, with a ground ball pitcher like Webb as out #1 we CAN'T afford to see him go. If we were to trade him for a LF what do we do with Byrnes when he comes back next year with two years and 24 mil left on his contract??? He may return to old form, hopefully his poor performance this year was just due to the injury. Not to mention what do we do at 2b, Oggie is a 4a player and Bonofacio is NOT ready for the majors.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hudson is a gold glove 2nd basemen, with a ground ball pitcher like Webb as out #1 we CAN'T afford to see him go
yea i know, he's too valuble. im just looking at all the options, thats all. but i dont see how we can get that big bat, i certainly dont wanna any of our youngsters on the team to go, they still have to develop and im sure this can be a pretty good lineup still, but i also want a solution for right now. just cant have it both ways i guess, but i wish we could:D!

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Big contract or not we have plenty of dough to spend on Hudson AND WE BETTER! Randy and his 15 mil contract will come off the books next year, even WITH Randy's 15 mil on the books our total payroll this season is 66 mil which ranks 23rd in the majors. He's our best fielder (one of the best in the majors) and our most consistant hitter constantly floating around .300 not to mention a leader/mentor in the locker room for the young guys

I think Kendrick is content on being a small market team with a low payroll. He saw what happened to Colangelo in how he got the team into huge debt. He is probably go to take a page out of the MIL offseason book by high tendering him and receiving 2 picks for him when he bolts.

Unfortuantely to be a successful small market team you have to draft well which we haven't done in the last 2 years, so our farm is depleted.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
will he pinch hit or play first and jackson play left? what does everyone think about his playing time? I like the move.

Reaction score
i see no problem w/this trade at all (unless of course Scribner pulls a Hairston and haunts in the future, i wont count on it though), he'll be a nice addition and comes at a thrift shop price!:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson