Tom Leander is hard to listen to.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
He gets on my nerves more and more every year. I understand he has a job to pimp the Suns and their players as the local play by play announcer, but EJ had to put him in his place a lot tonight. He was driving me nuts with how he was getting after the Magic crowd for booing Grant Hill.

Why was Al McCoy taken of the air anyway? I moved away from the valley for 2 years, and when I came back, Al was only on radio.

I know it's a very petty complaint, so don't bag on me too much.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McCoy is great, but his style is really more suited to radio because he does a complete play by play of every little thing going on in the game and the color guys can never get a word in edgewise. Plus, when you're watching the game on TV, you really don't need someone describing every pass made and every shot taken because you can see it happening.

Al was getting pretty senile too and has trouble with names. I remember when we had Joe Johnson, Jim Jackson & James Jones and he's always call them Joe Jackson or Jim Johnson or James Johnson or Joe Jones, etc.

I'd rather just have Eddie Johnson & Dan Majerle sit out there telling stories and talking about the game instead of ever having to listen to Leander or Gary Bender.

PHX 32

Hard times on Planet Orange
Reaction score
Eddie Johnson is much worse. He is the John Madden of the NBA and his monotonous tone makes me want to put multiple bullets through my head.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Yeah Im not a fan of leander or johnson, and for as much of a mccoy homer I am I think he is losing his touch too

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
McCoy is great, but his style is really more suited to radio because he does a complete play by play of every little thing going on in the game and the color guys can never get a word in edgewise. Plus, when you're watching the game on TV, you really don't need someone describing every pass made and every shot taken because you can see it happening.

Al was getting pretty senile too and has trouble with names. I remember when we had Joe Johnson, Jim Jackson & James Jones and he's always call them Joe Jackson or Jim Johnson or James Johnson or Joe Jones, etc.

I'd rather just have Eddie Johnson & Dan Majerle sit out there telling stories and talking about the game instead of ever having to listen to Leander or Gary Bender.
Hell, I'd probably get those all those names confused too. LOL.

I think Gary Bender is getting more senile than Al. That guy is awful these days.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
leander is horrible. i hate when someone shoots a three, he goes "three for three" every time. thats just stupid.

AB-SO-LUTE-LY!!!

argh!!!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Majerle is the best...

They showed a shot of Amare wearing that THING a few games ago, and Majerle just yells out: "WALMART!"

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i love leander, he loves the suns and he's goofy as hell. Majerle is entertaining and real. EJ is awesome too, his laugh is the best. Bender Sucks. Al is a legend I grew up listening to him.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Back in the day, most of the games were only on radio, so I used to go out in the backyard and listen to Al McCoy do the games on KTAR. It was a treat when the Suns televised a game, which they only did about 15 times back in the late 70s when I really started following the team. Al and Dick Van Arsdale were a great team back then and I enjoyed listening to them sometimes as much as watching the game itself.

Tom Leander is nothing more than a local homer. He tries too hard to create his own sayings, but he's not creative enough to have good ones. I cringe every time I hear "elevates and detonates".

I don't have too much of a problem with Bender, although he is way past his prime as a broadcaster. He was pretty decent back in time doing college and NBA games for CBS . Majerle makes the games entertaining from a broadcasting standpoint.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leander's ok. I like E.J.. As soon as you can get over his mumbling mono-tone, he's got some solid input IMO.
I'll tell you who's the absolute worst local radio play-by-play guy.....Tim Healey for ASU football. Somebody needs to tell him he's doing radio & not television. Try tuning into a game & you'll be waiting for a freakin score till it drives you insane! That & after every play he's gotta give you a long-winded statistical/personal background on every player involved & all you wanna know from him is... "did he get the first down or what!"....or.... "How many yards did that play net!" Not how many brothers & sisters the MLB has & why he red-shirted 3 years prior.
Healey is garbage.
As a long time SUNS fan,you've gotta love Al McCoy though. Sure he's lost a bit of senility when it comes to names, but he's there every night & has mastered the art of radio play-by-play IMO. He gives you a great picture of what goes down from one end of the court to the other.

Last edited:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Utah's guy is Hot Rod Hunley - way back when, he worked for the Suns.

Al McCoy is great. I love Eddie Johnson and Thunder Dan. I agree that Tom Leander stinks... but Gary Bender isn't that bad. The way he and Dan tease each other can be fun at times.

BTW, if EJ wasn't teamed with Tom Leader, I would probably just press mute. But I love Eddie, so I put up with Tom.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I'll tell you who's the absolute worst local radio play-by-play guy.....Tim Healey for ASU football.
I'll second that. Luckily most of their games have been on TV this year. ASU made a big mistake in letting Tom Dillon go. He was the best!

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Yeah I dont listen to every asu game, but healey forgets he is broadcasting to people who are blind to the goings on of the games and takes way too casual of an approach

ShuHanGuanYu

Registered
Reaction score
I love Eddie Johnson. If it weren't for him I'd probably mute the TV and listen to the radio-cast. Props to EJ, he's the man.

I like Tom Leander, but some of his -ism's could definitely go away. The two main ones off the top of my head are:

"Elevates and detonates!" - bothers me the most by far, just heard it too much.
"Net result for ____" - ugh, he said that like 3 times in the Orlando game.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
from wickenburg to window rock
from gilbert to globe....

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
The "Three for Three" is actually "Free for Three" which make more sense.

"Elevates and detonates" would be cool if he used it sparingly, like on sick Amare dunks rather then every dunk somebody makes.

The "Power and Fury" comment he makes is kinda funny, but as with all of his comments, they need to be used sparingly.

The "Net Result" is just stupid!

Al McCoy has the best saying IMO, "Zing go the strings," "Shaz-am," "Swisheroo-for-two," "Wham-o," "Wham-Bam-Slam."

I love "Put this one in the ole deep freeze," my favorite though is "heartbreak hotel" however I don't like hearing it! And of course, the icing on the cake, the simple "Suns win! Suns win!'

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Al McCoy has the best saying IMO, "Zing go the strings," "Shaz-am," "Swisheroo-for-two," "Wham-o," "Wham-Bam-Slam."
One of my favorites from Al is "Hoopty-do for two". It's kinda corny, but it always made me chuckle.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Eddie Johnson is much worse. He is the John Madden of the NBA and his monotonous tone makes me want to put multiple bullets through my head.
Ooooh, no. EJ may not have a TV voice (he is a color commentator/former jock).

But he says it like it is, doesn't come off as a homer and when he shares his insight of the game and players, I've never yet seen him to be wrong, as far as fans know.

So before you put those bullets through your head, put substance over style and pick up on what he's saying. :)

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
let steve kerr do the commentating.

Exactly, dodie! Exactly.

I've never been a Steve Kerr fan - especially after seeing him ruin a completely good team this offseason while spinning the tale on no need for bigs and how awsome Hill is supposed to be.

With that said, Steve Kerr made one fantastic commentator last season for TNT. Should go back to those duties since being a GM is clearly a weakness of his.

Now - whatever happened to the signatures? I'm just going to have to copy/paste this from now on:

DEFENSE RULES
:stick:
SUNSMAN DEFENSE TEAM

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll second that. Luckily most of their games have been on TV this year. ASU made a big mistake in letting Tom Dillon go. He was the best!
Yea Dillon was great. "Redmond takes the handoff up the middle & gets smacked in the mouth!"
Whats Tom Dillon been doing recently i wonder? The last time i heard him was doing some t.v./radio for the AZ Cards a few years back.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson