Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I mean, it looks decent, and it'll be interesting to see how Kraswhatshisname does, but...Jack Ryan as the academic continually getting drawn in to work for/alongside the CIA before becoming part of the organization is a LOT more interesting than Jack Ryan already being in it, analyst or not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched the first 2 episodes last night and really liked it. Even my GF liked it and she normally hates shows like that involving terrorism and violence. So far really well done. Jim Halpert is showing he can act too, other than the occasional look or mannerism you'd never know he used to sell paper at Dunder Mifflin!

Dude is ripped too.

I've never read the books and only saw the 1 movie with Alec Baldwin(I think) in it but I really liked the first 2 episodes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah, it was okay. It was a lot less Jack Ryan and a lot more generic terrorist show, but it was okay.
Curious what you think a Jack Ryan show should be...

Analyst with a military past... check.
Military career ended with horrific injury... check.
Future wife is a doctor... check.
Building friendship with gruff mentor... check.

The only inconsistency I can see is that James Greer isn't a distinguished admiral with a great voice.

Stout

Reaction score
Curious what you think a Jack Ryan show should be...

Analyst with a military past... check.
Military career ended with horrific injury... check.
Future wife is a doctor... check.
Building friendship with gruff mentor... check.

The only inconsistency I can see is that James Greer isn't a distinguished admiral with a great voice.

Sorry, i didn't mean thematically--I meant in content. It felt a lot like the recent season of Luke Cage did--the main character absent for long, long stretches. I mean, Luke Cage was far worse, and with Jack Ryan, the main story line and other characters were good. It was okay to good. Nothing to blow the audience away, IMO. And that's far better than most shows nowadays.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're 7 episodes in now and still liking it. The graphic church scene in France bothered my GF quite a bit but it comes with the territory I guess.

The story is pretty damn scary because it actually could happen, at least most of it, so it is disturbing.

The woman who plays Suleiman's wife is a terrific actress.

Stout

Reaction score
Better than I thought.

didnt expect the cucking scene with the drone pilot lol

Yeah, that was weird, and clunky. But, hey, takes all kinds, eh?

We're 7 episodes in now and still liking it. The graphic church scene in France bothered my GF quite a bit but it comes with the territory I guess.

The story is pretty damn scary because it actually could happen, at least most of it, so it is disturbing.

The woman who plays Suleiman's wife is a terrific actress.

She was pretty damn incredible. And yeah, that's what's great about the story, for me. That's why the REAL plot of The Sum of All Fears struck such a nerve--detonating a nuclear device outside the Super Bowl is a scary proposition. One of the reasons the movie just sucked balls.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope that's season 1 of more I really liked this season.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife was bugging me to watch this, so I went and bought a Firestick. Probably start watching this week.

I didn't read any spoilers. Is it like 24? Terrorist plots/moles/Jack Bauer?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My wife was bugging me to watch this, so I went and bought a Firestick. Probably start watching this week.

I didn't read any spoilers. Is it like 24? Terrorist plots/moles/Jack Bauer?
Are you familiar with the character? But yes, it is similar to 24.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen Hunt for Red October or Patriot Games?

Red October, yes, many moons ago. I know who Tom Clancy is and read a couple of the books. Can't remember much about them. I read all of LeCarre books but that was also many years ago.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Red October, yes, many moons ago. I know who Tom Clancy is and read a couple of the books. Can't remember much about them. I read all of LeCarre books but that was also many years ago.
I think LeCarre is much more cerebral than Clancy, but still good.

We are enjoying Jack Ryan, we only have the finale to watch, but it's been a good ride. Good action, but not overly reliant on it. And there is no universe where John Krasinsky is NOT likable in any role he takes.