Timberwolves @ Suns 3-14-16

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No draft prospect is ever perfect. I remember people had doubts about even Wiggins, Towns, Davis etc.

It's all a gamble but generally you get the best prospects in the higher draft slots.

Certainly looks like the Towns over Okafor choices was the right one. There were lots of people who preferred Okafor even closer to the draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly looks like the Towns over Okafor choices was the right one. There were lots of people who preferred Okafor even closer to the draft.

I preferred Okafor early in the season but IMO there was no doubt by draft day that Towns was the better NBA prospect. I'd guess that anyone that still wanted Okafor by then was probably stuck in the 80's or reading old scouting reports. And Towns is even better than most of us thought he'd be. If he were in this draft I'd be much more disappointed by every win we collect.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think many had Okafor's ceiling capped at prime Al Jefferson, maybe little better.

Towns had a much higher ceiling than that.

I think both Simmons and Ingram will be very good players. Despite all the criticism for Simmons lately, I think he has a strong chance to be a Draymond Green type player if he can improve his defense. And getting a Draymond Green type player is pretty darn good for any team. Having a playmaking and rebounding 4 like him is key for the Warriors.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This draft could be like the 2013 NBA Draft. Anthony Bennett anyone?

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Anthony Bennett was never a clear cut top 3 prospect for any duration of time. The biggest boards had him in the top ten but never in the top three.

Perhaps it's still too early but Simmons and Ingram have been top two until now. Would love to have the opportunity to get one of those. If not then grab a PF.

And prey he's not a 2016 Anthony Bennett.

Actually here is where McD is at his best. I have faith that we'll make a good pick wherever we end up. Top two or top five? What's the lowest pick we can get?

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Anthony Bennett was never a clear cut top 3 prospect for any duration of time. The biggest boards had him in the top ten but never in the top three.

Perhaps it's still too early but Simmons and Ingram have been top two until now. Would love to have the opportunity to get one of those. If not then grab a PF.

And pray he's not a 2016 Anthony Bennett.

Actually here is where McD is at his best. I have faith that we'll make a good pick wherever we end up. Top two or top five? What's the lowest pick we can get?

It depends where we are before the lottery. You can have 3 teams leapfrog you (unless you start 12,13, or 14) in the drawing so you can end up 3 lower than your predraft slot. If we are in the 3rd slot, we can't end up worse than 6th; 4th slot, 7th is possible; et cetera.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

And prey he's not a 2016 Anthony Bennett.

I think the big boards changed their mocks just before the 2013 draft. I can't find the ones prior to 6-27 and 6-28-13. It seems like I remember Bennett rated higher in earlier mocks.

Anthony Bennett was projected to go #10 by nbadraft.net in their final mock and #8 by DraftExpress in their final mock.

It is interesting that Alex Len was projected as the #1 pick by NbaDraft.net. and the #4 pick by DraftExpress. Len was selected #5 by the Suns. The Suns were on target.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the big boards changed their mocks just before the 2013 draft. I can't find the ones prior to 6-27 and 6-28-13. It seems like I remember Bennett rated higher in earlier mocks.

Anthony Bennett was projected to go #10 by nbadraft.net in their final mock and #8 by DraftExpress in their final mock.

It is interesting that Alex Len was projected as the #1 pick by NbaDraft.net. and the #4 pick by DraftExpress. Len was selected #5 by the Suns. The Suns were on target.

I think if there was a redraft, the Greek freak would easily go #1.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think I'd go with Gobert at #1.but then I haven't seen Giannis play this last month - before that he had brilliant moments but limited production.

Leaders from that draft ( per 36 stats):
pts - mccollum 21.4, schroder 19.4, muhammad 17.7
rebs - len 12.2, gobert 12.0, mason plumlee 10.7
asst - schroder 8.0, larkin 6.8, carter-williams 6.1
blks - gobert 2.4, noel 1.9, adams 1.6
FG% - adams .604. gpbert .567, dieng .534
3pt% - olynyk .413, mccollum 40.7, mclemore .358,

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think I'd go with Gobert at #1.but then I haven't seen Giannis play this last month - before that he had brilliant moments but limited production.

Leaders from that draft ( per 36 stats):
pts - mccollum 21.4, schroder 19.4, muhammad 17.7
rebs - len 12.2, gobert 12.0, mason plumlee 10.7
asst - schroder 8.0, larkin 6.8, carter-williams 6.1
blks - gobert 2.4, noel 1.9, adams 1.6
FG% - adams .604. gpbert .567, dieng .534
3pt% - olynyk .413, mccollum 40.7, mclemore .358,

I'm not sold Len will not be better than Gobert long term. His outside shot may give him an edge.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think its possible but Gobert is a heck of a defender already.

Its interesting that out of this awful draft class only three guys are looking like outright busts so far: Bennett, Jean-Charles(#28), and Nedovic (#30). Jean-Charles never came over and Nedovic left after one year. Nogueira (#16), Karasev(#19) and Goodwin(#29) are teetering on the brink... sorry Archie.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think if there was a redraft, the Greek freak would easily go #1.

He still isn't the best player from that class (yet) but I agree, he'd be the likely number one pick. His potential and his measurables are off the chart and he won't turn 22 until the start of next season.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He still isn't the best player from that class (yet) but I agree, he'd be the likely number one pick. His potential and his measurables are off the chart and he won't turn 22 until the start of next season.

Who is the better player in that draft?!

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who is the better player in that draft?!

I think Rudy Gobert has been the best player from that class. But I think Giannis has more potential than any player from that season and in a re-draft would be an easy decision as the first player taken.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think Rudy Gobert has been the best player from that class. But I think Giannis has more potential than any player from that season and in a re-draft would be an easy decision as the first player taken.

I have a hard time declaring someone who averages 6FGA per game the best player of this draft.

I'd mention McCollum before Gobert to be honest.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have a hard time declaring someone who averages 6FGA per game the best player of this draft.

I'd mention McCollum before Gobert to be honest.

Absolutely. McCollum was one of the top SGs in the entire league earlier this year.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gobert is a difference maker on the defensive end and he's averaging close to 10 points a game this season. He'll never be a scary offensive threat on his own but we heard similar comments about DeAndre Jordan. Usually I'd prefer a great offensive player over a great defensive player but it's a close call when it comes to an inside man that can control the interior the way Gobert does.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Deandre Jordan surely is not the best player from his draft and a much better rebounder than Gobert.

Giannis without a doubt would be the #1 pick from that draft.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Deandre Jordan surely is not the best player from his draft and a much better rebounder than Gobert.

Giannis without a doubt would be the #1 pick from that draft.

I agree. But all I'd said was that I think Gobert has been the better player so far. It's anyone's guess who will have the better career but Giannis has up-side rarely seen. So I have no doubt that if they redrafted he'd be the target of most teams.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think he will turn into a top 10 player before next season ends.

He's basically Kevin Durant without the shooting ability but much, much better defensively.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's basically Kevin Durant without the shooting ability but much, much better defensively.

"Without shooting ability" is an easy thing to gloss over. We keep hearing it's the easiest skill to teach, but it's also probably the most important offensive skill. That said, the Greek Freak is no slouch on defense and has incredible versatility.

Alex Len will certainly be a much better offensive player and likely a similar rebounder to Gobert. I don't think he'll ever be near the defensive presence though which i would not have said a couple years ago. That's based purely on the eye test.

Joe

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So, other than the thing that defines Durant they're basically the same guy?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"Without shooting ability" is an easy thing to gloss over. We keep hearing it's the easiest skill to teach, but it's also probably the most important offensive skill. That said, the Greek Freak is no slouch on defense and has incredible versatility.

Joe

I don't think he will ever be as good a shooter as Durant but I do think he will be respectable enough with his shot that teams can't just sag off him.

Other than Durant, there's just no other player in the NBA who can dribble like him, move like him, jump like him etc. Giannis already has better pass ability, court vision and defensive ability than Durant too and he's barely 21.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn