Timberwolves @ Suns 12-15-19

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think people want to blame someone and the coach is the obvious easy choice.
Bottom line is that there is no chance in hell that Igor is a bad coach. From Serbia, to Georgia, and Slovenia, he is considered an outstanding coach in Europe. In the states, he has been highly regarded everywhere he's coached- Clippers, Detroit, Phoenix, Utah, etc. I am going to assume that Alvin Gentry, Larry Brown, and Quinn Snyder are better judges of coaching abilities than a few malcontent fans on a Phoenix Suns message board.

I think that one of the problems is that Igor is very methodical and not reactionary. Casual fans (myself included) sometimes like reactionary. Igor started the season trying to see what he has with the veterans. Theoretically, Ariza, Anderson, and Canaan should have been better than a bunch of rookies. Without looking it up, there is 30 seasons of NBA experience between them. He stuck with the vets for a few games and then started making adjustments, one by one.

Igor will be fine. My guess is that an experienced, calm, methodical coach is exactly what a young team like Phoenix needs. Fans want someone who will get angry, someone who will yell, and scream, but anyone who's ever been in a leadership position knows that anger, yelling, and screaming rarely works. That's a tactic for some very rare instances in which it is helpful only because it shows the contrast with the "usual" approach. "Calm" is not "weak". You will notice that when Bridges got frustrated, Igor didn't let him just go to the bench. Igor was going to coach him (like he coaches everyone when they go to the bench) no matter what.

Igor knows what he is doing. He just has a team full of new players and rookies that lacks NBA talent. It will take a while for everything to get worked out, and I suspect fans will be calling for Igor to be fired after every couple of losses. That's a distraction. Outside of a few random games since the awful start, the Suns haven't looked like a joke, with the exception of those first two games without Booker and Warren.

There's a happy medium between yelling and screaming, on one hand, and complete lack of passion and listlessness, and inability to lead and communicate as a head coach, on the other hand, just as there is a difference between being methodical and just being plain slow and passive.

And for all of the progress Ayton has made defensively, he is still regressing offensively and on the boards, and the other incredibly coachable young players in Jackson and Bridges have regressed horribly (in Jackson's case) and zoned Kokoskov out after having regressed (in Bridges' case).

I have no doubt that Igor Kokoskov is an excellent assistant coach, as long as someone else takes the reins and is there to lead and communicate. For all of the years of experience you cite, outside of EuroBasket (where he could coach in his native language, which confirms to me that a lot of this likely is the language barrier), Igor Kokoskov has never been a head coach, and to me it remains quite clear why that is the case.

Pair Igor Kokoskov with a Larry Brown, Alvin Gentry or Quin Snyder, and sure you can have success. But you need the Larry Brown, Alvin Gentry or Quin Snyder at the helm to drive the proverbial vehicle that is the team. Put the proverbial navigator in Igor Kokoskov at the proverbial wheel, and that navigator might know where he wants to go, but he does not have the capability of driving the proverbial vehicle there.

Just my two cents.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are many players who come into the NBA with good reputation on defense. You still have to get them to put forth the effort and keep them motivated while the team is losing. Once they start winning, players tend to be easier to motivate. It's when the things are not going well that it takes good leadership to keep people motivated.
True but young players whose calling cards are defense tend to stick with it no matter the circumstances because that’s what got them to the show. They’d have to be idiots to abandon it once there because pro slots are few and fleeting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ironically, that is the exact thing we needed to do over the past couple tanking years, which we didn't. We finally are doing it, but it happens to be in a year where we want to "win." Bad luck.
Has to be done. We are not going to get to wins without taking the time to develop the players. I am ok with taking the time as long as it is actually happening.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree with everything else stated but man am I tired of this narrative. Yes the “new players” is accurate. But “lacks nba talent” just isn’t. If you want to say “lacks nba experience” or “undeveloped talent” I can get onboard. But the truth we know there’s talent.

Established talent:
Booker
Warren

Aging talent:
Crawford

Backup/energy talent:
Oubre
Holmes
Rivers

High developing talent:
Ayton
Bridges

High potential talent:
JJ

Good backup developing talent:
Melton

Good potential talent:
Okobo

Many are in early stages of their development but I think most would classify them as nba talent. I think virtually everyone listed above would be on nba rosters if not on the suns. And likely only Melton and okobo would be getting stints in the G league (which they’ve been getting with us), which isn’t unusual for most nba teams. So can we quit saying we have no talent and only a bunch of G leaguers? Because (a) it’s just not true; and (b) those phrases are only being used in a hyperbolic manner to forward an argument and that’s a disingenuous method of argumentation.

Well hold on a second. I think we are not disagreeing as much as you think. Established talent starts and end with Booker and Warren, who are still pretty young. Without looking it up, Book is 22 and Warren is 24 or 25.

Then you had Chandler, Ariza, and Anderson- each is the very definition of "has been." Crawford was signed at the start of the season, and my understanding is that he wasn't even on an NBA roster.

As for backup and energy talent, there was Holmes, but he was stuck behind Chandler in the rotation. I would argue that he wasn't really established in any way, even as an energy talent. Suns got him for basically nothing. Oubre and Rivers were not on the roster until today. Developing talent, sure, Ayton and Bridges. Two very solid rookies, but rookies nonetheless. JJ is... well, JJ. Youngster who doesn't seem to be able to slow down, makes a ton of mistakes, and hurts the team when he is on the floor. Melton and Okobo- again, two second-round picks. Canaan was a career backup.

You can make up talent categories they can all fit into all you want, but the bottom line is that they are not really all that talented right now. Behind Booker and Warren, there just isn't a whole lot of talent. Next two (even right now) are the two rookies. Rookies are unreliable, they don't know the basics of the NBA, they make mistakes, they hit rookie walls. Behind them, there is a 40 year-old grandpa Jamal and Holmes who was traded for basically nothing.

Nobody is arguing that they don't have a ton of potential. Ayton and Bridges will be the two of the top five rookies from their class. Ayton will be an all star, and Bridges will be one of the top three 3 and D players in the league eventually. Melton and Okobo have high potential as well. Both are good defensively, Melton is a good offensive player/ scorer, and Okobo actually has a basic idea of how to play point guard. Holmes is insanely good for a backup/ energy guy.

Problem is that in the NBA you don't win with a bunch of 18-22 year olds and a few 33-40 years old. Kids and grandpas don't win games. Established talent typically aged 25-32 wins games, and the Suns have nothing in that category outside of Warren and a 22 year-old Booker. I think we actually agree, but are too focused on semantics. NBA Level talent vs. Established talent is, in my mind, the same thing. If you are not established, you are not an NBA-level talent needed to win the games in the NBA. I am not necessarily locked into that position, but that's how I look at it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
True but young players whose calling cards are defense tend to stick with it no matter the circumstances because that’s what got them to the show. They’d have to be idiots to abandon it once there because pro slots are few and fleeting.

Logically that makes sense, but I really haven't seen a study of how college "defenders" turn out in the NBA, and at what percentage. But again, logically, it does make sense. However, my problem is with people who blame the coach when there is no effort and praise the players when there is. If you are going to blame the coach when there is no effort, give him credit when there is. If you are going to praise him when there is effort, then give him some crap when there isn't. (Note, "you" is not directed at you individually.)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ironically, that is the exact thing we needed to do over the past couple tanking years, which we didn't. We finally are doing it, but it happens to be in a year where we want to "win." Bad luck.

I think Triano tried to bring some stability and development, but he was limited in how much he could do with all the injuries and lack of talent. Bender and Jackson in particular got some crazy opportunities last year that very few youngsters get.
I was actually OK with Triano. I think he did as good of a job as anyone could with what he had this year. As weak as the roster is now, it was infinitely worse last year. To go back to Ouchi's classification of talent, Triano didn't have that "high developing" talent, or even backup/ potential talent that Igor has today.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What a difference a couple of wins make, but unless the Suns relapse into getting blown out on a regular basis, I'm quite happy to stick with Igor going forward.

We know he is a good coach, the questions have centered around whether he is a good head coach. It seems the team is coming together although a bit late. I'm hoping this has been a learning curve for both the players and coach. I like what I am seeing right now and part of this has been finding a point guard, Melton, who can run the team.

I'm hoping all we have to do is be patient. The last thing I want is see is the Suns go though another head coach search unless it is absolutely necessary.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well hold on a second. I think we are not disagreeing as much as you think. Established talent starts and end with Booker and Warren, who are still pretty young. Without looking it up, Book is 22 and Warren is 24 or 25.

Then you had Chandler, Ariza, and Anderson- each is the very definition of "has been." Crawford was signed at the start of the season, and my understanding is that he wasn't even on an NBA roster.

As for backup and energy talent, there was Holmes, but he was stuck behind Chandler in the rotation. I would argue that he wasn't really established in any way, even as an energy talent. Suns got him for basically nothing. Oubre and Rivers were not on the roster until today. Developing talent, sure, Ayton and Bridges. Two very solid rookies, but rookies nonetheless. JJ is... well, JJ. Youngster who doesn't seem to be able to slow down, makes a ton of mistakes, and hurts the team when he is on the floor. Melton and Okobo- again, two second-round picks. Canaan was a career backup.

You can make up talent categories they can all fit into all you want, but the bottom line is that they are not really all that talented right now. Behind Booker and Warren, there just isn't a whole lot of talent. Next two (even right now) are the two rookies. Rookies are unreliable, they don't know the basics of the NBA, they make mistakes, they hit rookie walls. Behind them, there is a 40 year-old grandpa Jamal and Holmes who was traded for basically nothing.

Nobody is arguing that they don't have a ton of potential. Ayton and Bridges will be the two of the top five rookies from their class. Ayton will be an all star, and Bridges will be one of the top three 3 and D players in the league eventually. Melton and Okobo have high potential as well. Both are good defensively, Melton is a good offensive player/ scorer, and Okobo actually has a basic idea of how to play point guard. Holmes is insanely good for a backup/ energy guy.

Problem is that in the NBA you don't win with a bunch of 18-22 year olds and a few 33-40 years old. Kids and grandpas don't win games. Established talent typically aged 25-32 wins games, and the Suns have nothing in that category outside of Warren and a 22 year-old Booker. I think we actually agree, but are too focused on semantics. NBA Level talent vs. Established talent is, in my mind, the same thing. If you are not established, you are not an NBA-level talent needed to win the games in the NBA. I am not necessarily locked into that position, but that's how I look at it.
First I responded to a post that you made today when you said there’s no talent. So really I was responding to today’s facts. Canaan doesn’t factor into that. Neither does just acquiring oubre and rivers. As of today everyone on the roster counts.

Second I think you’re misusing the word “talent.” If you’re sayin other than book and warren none have “talent” you’re essentially saying they have nothing to add or to work with. I think your argument becomes legitimately if you say “undeveloped talent” because the talent is there. It exists in almost all these players to varying degrees. But to say no talent makes it sound like Igor was just given a bucket of mud. He wasn’t. He was given a lot of clay, but it’s partially his job to mold that clay. It’s not mud. It’s actually very high end clay.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Logically that makes sense, but I really haven't seen a study of how college "defenders" turn out in the NBA, and at what percentage. But again, logically, it does make sense. However, my problem is with people who blame the coach when there is no effort and praise the players when there is. If you are going to blame the coach when there is no effort, give him credit when there is. If you are going to praise him when there is effort, then give him some crap when there isn't. (Note, "you" is not directed at you individually.)
Yes I agree with all of that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What a difference a couple of wins make, but unless the Suns relapse into getting blown out on a regular basis, I'm quite happy to stick with Igor going forward.

We know he is a good coach, the questions have centered around whether he is a good head coach. It seems the team is coming together although a bit late. I'm hoping this has been a learning curve for both the players and coach. I like what I am seeing right now and part of this has been finding a point guard, Melton, who can run the team.

I'm hoping all we have to do is be patient. The last thing I want is see is the Suns go though another head coach search unless it is absolutely necessary.

To me it really comes down to whether we see positive progress, or whether we instead see regression, from Ayton offensively and on the boards, and from Jackson and Bridges especially, as well as Melton and Okobo.

We cannot afford to let weak coaching do to our current young core what it did to Len, Chriss and Bender.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I agree with this too. No doubt he is a good coach or he’d never got the opps in the nba he has. But cheese raised a good question when he asked, “why hasn’t he gotten any stabs as a head coach?” That’s a worthwhile question.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree with this too. No doubt he is a good coach or he’d never got the opps in the nba he has. But cheese raised a good question when he asked, “why hasn’t he gotten any stabs as a head coach?” That’s a worthwhile question.

I can only guess. Igor is a good coach but perhaps he does not command attention like other head coaches. The players may been slow to adapt to his style and technique. He is very soft spoken. Maybe it has taken awhile for the players to fully trust what he is teaching.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can only guess. Igor is a good coach but perhaps he does not command attention like other head coaches. The players may been slow to adapt to his style and technique. He is very soft spoken. Maybe it has taken awhile for the players to fully trust what he is teaching.
It also may be that they are well, teenagers.

What boggles me is why vets like Chandler and Ariza did not seem to fit.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It also may be that they are well, teenagers.

What boggles me is why vets like Chandler and Ariza did not seem to fit.

My best guess is that when Kokoskov had trouble getting his point and message across due to a combination of the language barrier and his soft-spoken and passive personality, vets like Chandler and Ariza tuned him out immediately. For whatever reason, Kokoskov was unable to command their respect.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Someone has to shoulder the blame you you are the absolute worst in any given industry.

I believe Igor will improve but to say because he has coached in Europe and been an assistant there is no chance he can fail here is a stretch.

Some of his better roster moves have been a result of being left with no choice. Melton after Canaan was shipped and Booker injured, TJ after Anderson was a complete joke for far too long and Holmes after Tyson was traded. Even starting Bridges last night was an improvement over Ariza.

I think if Ayton had been used properly and some of these other roster moves made sooner the team would be in a much better spot.

Of course this is all just an opinion from someone who has no idea how to coach an NBA team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
First I responded to a post that you made today when you said there’s no talent. So really I was responding to today’s facts. Canaan doesn’t factor into that. Neither does just acquiring oubre and rivers. As of today everyone on the roster counts.

Second I think you’re misusing the word “talent.” If you’re sayin other than book and warren none have “talent” you’re essentially saying they have nothing to add or to work with. I think your argument becomes legitimately if you say “undeveloped talent” because the talent is there. It exists in almost all these players to varying degrees. But to say no talent makes it sound like Igor was just given a bucket of mud. He wasn’t. He was given a lot of clay, but it’s partially his job to mold that clay. It’s not mud. It’s actually very high end clay.

To the first point, I think we have to evaluate the entire season. We (fans) are not angry because of what happened today or last week. We are angry because of what happened previously.

To the second point, I think we agree, and while I do maintain that my terminology is OK, I will try to remember to say "Established talent" in the future in that particular context.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are certainly not the first or last, but I would like to ask why? Solely based upon record? Or you feel Ayton is misused? I can't think of another situation of a rookie head coach with such a young and G-league-filled roster to compare it with, but it has gone about as expected I would think. I also think the "misuse" of Ayton has more to do with Ayton than the coaching staff so far, based upon my observations and quotes from everyone involved.

What has disappointed me is his stubbornness in how he's handle the rotations, gifting an Ariza and Anderson starting roles to start the season play a part in that. Neither earned starting jobs in preseason but I think you can make the case for Ariza at least, for the first 10 or so games also. How he came out talking in the preseason about Point Book being finished, essentially, and it was only something we'd see late in close games when it made sense but that hasn't been what's happened. He relied Canaan for far too long and wouldn't pull him when he was a clear detriment on the court. I think the only reason he was waived is so Igor couldn't use him anymore. The record isn't the issue, it's how he's handled himself also after some terrible losses. Nothing is worse than a coach blaming the team for a lack of effort game after game yet not making any changes to the rotation to try and spark something and also to punish the players that played with low effort.

He's done better lately and I'm glad because he's in a position where he can't be fired. As bad as he's been, firing him would be worse, so he's got this year to prove he deserves to stay for next year, basically, and he's finally started using the team like he wants to win and will put players in a position to succeed. I'm not sure what took him so long to get to that point but I'm glad we're seeing a lot more sense with our lineups and rotations. He's got a ways to go still because Ayton does need to be used better but I think he has a plan for that. I doubt his plan is what he said to the press about how we'll see Ayton at the 3pt line taking shots when he dunks 10 times a game because Igor hasn't had Ayton playing in a spot where he could get 10 dunks a game. He's had him camped out a little too far and it wasn't until the Minnesota game where Ayton seemed to naturally gravitate back towards the hoop on offense. Maybe that's Ayton, maybe it was by design, I think some of it was Ayton seeing how Towns being at the 3pt line hindered Minnesota some and realizing he was doing the same thing except for taking shots from 22 feet out. It's all a process and I hoped we would see a little bit more by now than we have but Booker being out has most likely played a role in all of that also.

I could go on and on but I really don't want to bash Igor. He's doing better and I'm glad. Hopefully he learns to ride the hot hand a little more, even if that hot hand is a rookie, because he's got a lot of rookies on this team. I don't know why he's made some of the choices he has but he's not making them right now and that's a good thing.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think people want to blame someone and the coach is the obvious easy choice.
Bottom line is that there is no chance in hell that Igor is a bad coach. From Serbia, to Georgia, and Slovenia, he is considered an outstanding coach in Europe. In the states, he has been highly regarded everywhere he's coached- Clippers, Detroit, Phoenix, Utah, etc. I am going to assume that Alvin Gentry, Larry Brown, and Quinn Snyder are better judges of coaching abilities than a few malcontent fans on a Phoenix Suns message board.

I think that one of the problems is that Igor is very methodical and not reactionary. Casual fans (myself included) sometimes like reactionary. Igor started the season trying to see what he has with the veterans. Theoretically, Ariza, Anderson, and Canaan should have been better than a bunch of rookies. Without looking it up, there is 30 seasons of NBA experience between them. He stuck with the vets for a few games and then started making adjustments, one by one.

Igor will be fine. My guess is that an experienced, calm, methodical coach is exactly what a young team like Phoenix needs. Fans want someone who will get angry, someone who will yell, and scream, but anyone who's ever been in a leadership position knows that anger, yelling, and screaming rarely works. That's a tactic for some very rare instances in which it is helpful only because it shows the contrast with the "usual" approach. "Calm" is not "weak". You will notice that when Bridges got frustrated, Igor didn't let him just go to the bench. Igor was going to coach him (like he coaches everyone when they go to the bench) no matter what.

Igor knows what he is doing. He just has a team full of new players and rookies that lacks NBA talent. It will take a while for everything to get worked out, and I suspect fans will be calling for Igor to be fired after every couple of losses. That's a distraction. Outside of a few random games since the awful start, the Suns haven't looked like a joke, with the exception of those first two games without Booker and Warren.
You could be right and I hope you're right. Certainly the unbalanced roster that Igor has been given plays a large part in the Suns dismal play up until two games ago. And we don't know if Ayton starting the pick & roll at the 3-point line is Igor's idea or Ayton's limitation, reflecting that his only college year had him playing alongside a truer Center.

The only point I question is the comparison of calm/methodical to yell/scream. All or nothing (or nothing or all in this case) are not the only choices. There is plenty of room in the middle between a statue and a wild man. I still hope to see Igor find that middle ground. It is a long season and there are plenty of times when the players need to be motivated with more than "do as I say, not as I do".

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You could be right and I hope you're right. Certainly the unbalanced roster that Igor has been given plays a large part in the Suns dismal play up until two games ago. And we don't know if Ayton starting the pick & roll at the 3-point line is Igor's idea or Ayton's limitation, reflecting that his only college year had him playing alongside a truer Center.

The only point I question is the comparison of calm/methodical to yell/scream. All or nothing (or nothing or all in this case) are not the only choices. There is plenty of room in the middle between a statue and a wild man. I still hope to see Igor find that middle ground. It is a long season and there are plenty of times when the players need to be motivated with more than "do as I say, not as I do".
So you want him to scream a little but not a lot.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
What has disappointed me is his stubbornness in how he's handle the rotations, gifting an Ariza and Anderson starting roles to start the season play a part in that. Neither earned starting jobs in preseason but I think you can make the case for Ariza at least, for the first 10 or so games also. How he came out talking in the preseason about Point Book being finished, essentially, and it was only something we'd see late in close games when it made sense but that hasn't been what's happened. He relied Canaan for far too long and wouldn't pull him when he was a clear detriment on the court. I think the only reason he was waived is so Igor couldn't use him anymore. The record isn't the issue, it's how he's handled himself also after some terrible losses. Nothing is worse than a coach blaming the team for a lack of effort game after game yet not making any changes to the rotation to try and spark something and also to punish the players that played with low effort.

He's done better lately and I'm glad because he's in a position where he can't be fired. As bad as he's been, firing him would be worse, so he's got this year to prove he deserves to stay for next year, basically, and he's finally started using the team like he wants to win and will put players in a position to succeed. I'm not sure what took him so long to get to that point but I'm glad we're seeing a lot more sense with our lineups and rotations. He's got a ways to go still because Ayton does need to be used better but I think he has a plan for that. I doubt his plan is what he said to the press about how we'll see Ayton at the 3pt line taking shots when he dunks 10 times a game because Igor hasn't had Ayton playing in a spot where he could get 10 dunks a game. He's had him camped out a little too far and it wasn't until the Minnesota game where Ayton seemed to naturally gravitate back towards the hoop on offense. Maybe that's Ayton, maybe it was by design, I think some of it was Ayton seeing how Towns being at the 3pt line hindered Minnesota some and realizing he was doing the same thing except for taking shots from 22 feet out. It's all a process and I hoped we would see a little bit more by now than we have but Booker being out has most likely played a role in all of that also.

I could go on and on but I really don't want to bash Igor. He's doing better and I'm glad. Hopefully he learns to ride the hot hand a little more, even if that hot hand is a rookie, because he's got a lot of rookies on this team. I don't know why he's made some of the choices he has but he's not making them right now and that's a good thing.

I think the difference between us (fans) and professionals is that they see a bigger picture. My guess is that good coaches know a lot more, are a lot less reactionary, and are far more methodical than we are. I think Igor is an old-school coach who likes veteran players. Igor's reputation is that he has very complex sets, especially on offense. We also know that Sarver wants to win. It stands to reason that he would make an attempt to rally his veterans (Ariza, Anderson, Chandler, Canaan) to understand and buy into what he is trying to do. He gave that a good try and it didn't work. To us, five or ten games are an eternity when our team is losing, but I suspect that to coaches, five or ten games is not really all that long. It seems reasonable to me to give the veterans some time and see how it goes.

He benched Anderson, Chandler and Canaan got cut, Ariza got traded. Bridges was inserted into the starting lineup pretty quickly, as did Warren. Point Book thing... well, he is right. Booker should not run the point. He is an incredible scorer, and he should focus on that. He was forced to run with point Booker because he didn't have many other options. I suspect that we will not see much point Booker for as long as Melton and Crawford (I hope Okobo as well) provide at least an adequate PG play. I suppose Rivers will get some PG time as well.

As for Ayton, the problem is that he doesn't fight for position in the low post. High-post pick and roll may be the only thing he knows how to do right now. I doubt that Igor and his staff are telling Ayton not to play in low post. I am guessing they want him to play in the low post, but he doesn't know how. This is not on Igor. It's not even on Ayton really- he is a youngster who is getting used to the NBA. When you are as tall as Ayton is, and when you are built like a damn statue, it's probably really easy to score in High School and even in College. NBA is different. We have repeatedly seen Ayton get completely freaked out by certain players when he goes up against them for the first time. This is normal. This is normal. He adjusts quite well. He is learning, but he is just a kid that has never gone up against players who were as big, as strong, as athletic as he is, if not bigger, stronger, and more athletic. All this is normal. It's not Igor's fault, and honestly, it's not Ayton's fault- he is playing as well as you can expect a 19 or a 20 year old seven-footer rookie to play.

I think it will take a year to get even a basic idea of what Igor can do. We know he is very smart. Is he stubborn or is he and methodical? That remains to be seen. For now, I am sticking with his reputation. I'll take the opinion of everyone in Europe, along with Gentry, Brown, Quinn, etc at face value until we see what the team looks like towards the end of the season. Suns roster was, and is, a mess. Greg Popovich couldn't turn that around in 30 games. Let's give the man a full year.

EDIT:
While I quoted your post, this is a general post, and it is not really intended to be a direct response to you only. I think the points you brought up are excellent points to discuss, and your criticism is based on legitimate questions, unlike the criticism of the chronic complainers on this board. It wasn't until I was done with my post that I noticed I started off by quoting you, and then ended up responding to the "general" criticism I've seen on this board. Please know I think your post and questions/ concerns were excellent, specific, and well thought-out. My mind just drifted into a different direction and I ended up responding to the usual "Igor sucks, first time head coach, just fire him" stuff we see on the board. My apologies if my post came across as critical of you and your post.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So you want him to scream a little but not a lot.
No, not scream. Children scream, adults talk.

I would like to see Igor be assertive. Show enthusiasm when the team or a player needs it. And during post-game interviews, because he is the figurehead and the chief motivator.

You know that I despised the coaching style of John MacLeod back in the day. He would sit on the bench, keep his body rigid and his eyes would dart back and forth from left to right without moving his head. Igor, without being shifty eyed, also gives a statue-like impression. And a similar rigid substitution pattern. When your allotted time is up, no matter how hot you are, you go to the bench.

That coaching style is an extreme. Just as being a wild man is an extreme. As I posted, I believe the traits of an all around good Head Coach lie somewhere in the big expanse in the middle.

Leadership by example. Because you also want the players to know how to show emotion on the court without going overboard. There are constant situations when playing offense and defense call for calm & organized and some for more emotion.

As an example, right now, Ayton and Jackson seem to be the extremes in that regard on the court. It takes a Head Coach in the middle to both goose one up and rein the other one in. Flexibility. So far, Igor has not shown any progress. Ayton's and Jackson's careers will depend on it.

As has been pointed out in this thread, Igor is a journeyman and has earned a reputation as a good coach . . . but not as a Head Coach. The man in the hot seat. Another Jeff Hornacek.