The Suns with the 2018 #1 overall pick select....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh well. Not very likely. But it is interesting. If anything does happen, it will all be in secret on draft day.

If Doncic is firm he is going to stay in Europe, he could slide to a spot where the Suns could trade for him.

No team wants to lose an early draft pick especially in this draft. I know they would keep the rights but look no further than Bogdon.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy stuffins I just missed the biggest thing about that interview. It is dated March 30th.

Suns were not known to be talking to coaches. Igor Kososkov was not the Suns head coach and Duffy flat connects them in this interview and then says "If I were a magician I would make it happen"

This is...wow...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Doncic is firm he is going to stay in Europe, he could slide to a spot where the Suns could trade for him.

No team wants to lose an early draft pick especially in this draft. I know they would keep the rights but look no further than Bogdon.

Lets look at the draft.
1. Phoenix take Ayton.
2. Sacramento passes on Bagley who fits their team perfectly to wait on Doncic? No. They take Bagley.
3. Atlanta. Wait on Doncic. Maybe. But Bamba is shooting up the charts. He is there, now. I think they take Bamba.
4. Memphis needs an impact player now. I could see them taking Young or Jackson.
5. Dallas is willing to take Porter already.
6. Orlando. Wants a pg. Do they take Doncic and wait? But they have some young players that really need to take the next step. They cannot risk Doncic not coming here. They will take Young if he is available. Otherwise maybe Jackson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets look at the draft.
1. Phoenix take Ayton.
2. Sacramento passes on Bagley who fits their team perfectly to wait on Doncic? No. They take Bagley.
3. Atlanta. Wait on Doncic. Maybe. But Bamba is shooting up the charts. He is there, now. I think they take Bamba.
4. Memphis needs an impact player now. I could see them taking Young or Jackson.
5. Dallas is willing to take Porter already.
6. Orlando. Wants a pg. Do they take Doncic and wait? But they have some young players that really need to take the next step. They cannot risk Doncic not coming here. They will take Young if he is available. Otherwise maybe Jackson.

Under this scenario the Suns should be able to find a trade partner somewhere between 7-10.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way to do it is for Doncic to remain in the draft, refuse to meet with teams, and tell everyone he is planning on staying at least two more years in Europe. Then, the Suns keep trying to work a trade for each team as he falls. Now THAT will be a memorable draft.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he craps on Sacramento they will trade back with someone else near the top of the draft. I don't blame Doncic for not wanting to go to Sacramento but I doubt he refuses Atlanta, Orlando and Dallas.

I just don't see how it can be done without paying a cost that none of us seem willing to consider.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way to do it is for Doncic to remain in the draft, refuse to meet with teams, and tell everyone he is planning on staying at least two more years in Europe. Then, the Suns keep trying to work a trade for each team as he falls. Now THAT will be a memorable draft.

Jay Bilas of ESPN has Doncic going #4 so perhaps it's not unrealistic he drops further because of concern he will stay in Europe.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A jack of all trades without high level athleticism is not a generational talent.

Magic. and to a lesser degree, Nash. both had limited athleticism, and were limited defensively. but both had "generational" bb IQ.

Doncic shows signs. we'll see how he finishes his tournament.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i agree that the only possible way be in position to acquire Doncic is to include something we don't want to.
Jackson.
but i'd seriously consider it

but i'm easily down with any conditions that left us with Booker, Jackson, Ayton, Doncic,
and i'm also down with any conditions that leaves us with Booker, Jackson, Ayton, and Young

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should not trade Jackson so we can draft Doncic. What has happened over the last 2 days that people are now pushing that as an idea? Doncic could be good but he's not a good defender and I highly doubt he's better than Josh will be for the next couple of years. Jackson is the perfect wing to pair with Booker. We can draft Ayton to round out our big 3, let's do that and be happy. Fill the other holes in FA.

If someone suggested trading Jackson for Doncic last week they would have been chased off the board, I have no doubt in that. Nothing has changed as far as info on the players, we don't need to get greedy because we have the #1 pick and try to land #2 also.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I’m telling you the only way you get Doncic is if you take Ayton first then pull a blockbuster with Atlanta or Memphis that involves Ayton. Trades like this have happened several times when teams with the #1 pick actually liked a lesser rated player better.

Ayton seems like the better player to me but I’m not gonna day there is no trade I would do involving these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to go on record as being against trading Josh Jackson. Doncic may have more value in a vacuum, but Jackson has so much defensive potential. He's a perfect fit with Booker and Ayton.

You are not alone. I would not trade Jackson either.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Enough with the Doncic talk. The Suns dodged a bullet by landing the #1 pick. Be grateful and don't create a problem where one doesn't exist.

All of this mania over Doncic is really going to look comical in two or three years when he is (very likely) nothing more than an okay complementary player on some bottom feeder team. I would be comfortable betting the farm that he will be neither the "white Magic Johnson" nor the "European Larry Bird." Vastly more likely he ends up being the "white Billy Owens" or the "European Mike Miller."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he craps on Sacramento they will trade back with someone else near the top of the draft. I don't blame Doncic for not wanting to go to Sacramento but I doubt he refuses Atlanta, Orlando and Dallas.

I just don't see how it can be done without paying a cost that none of us seem willing to consider.
No they won't trade back. There are a lot of good players in this draft. They will just take Bagley.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of this mania over Doncic is really going to look comical in two or three years when he is (very likely) nothing more than an okay complementary player on some bottom feeder team. I would be comfortable betting the farm that he will be neither the "white Magic Johnson" nor the "European Larry Bird." Vastly more likely he ends up being the "white Billy Owens" or the "European Mike Miller."
Cmon dog. Tell what you really think.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we need to be realistic . Doncic is a no go...too expensive to get. Even Young would be very hard to attain...although possible. After those two we need to find a way to move up the #16 for any of the other decent pgs our there.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We should not trade Jackson so we can draft Doncic. What has happened over the last 2 days that people are now pushing that as an idea? Doncic could be good but he's not a good defender and I highly doubt he's better than Josh will be for the next couple of years. Jackson is the perfect wing to pair with Booker. We can draft Ayton to round out our big 3, let's do that and be happy. Fill the other holes in FA.

If someone suggested trading Jackson for Doncic last week they would have been chased off the board, I have no doubt in that. Nothing has changed as far as info on the players, we don't need to get greedy because we have the #1 pick and try to land #2 also.

Doncic is a better player right now, and he is quite a bit younger. JJ may be a better fit with Booker, but that's a different argument.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The man just represented the Suns in the lottery and we got the #1 pick. You trade him now and you're asking for bad karma. Also, he's a really good player with a ton of potential.

Jackson made an amazing leap in his game from the first part of the season. I was a little skeptical when the season started but he made me a believer. The guy is a gamer and a winner. IMO, he has only tapped his potential.

And you are right. He ended almost 50 years of bad karma.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave