The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Darko from Memphis. He's my pick. I'd prefer an assistant over a retread. As I said before, only Phil Jackson and Pat Riley have won championships as coaches with more than one franchise. I don't believe Nick Nurse, Budenholzer, or Ty Lue will be joining them any time soon.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we should see a good amount of members from the board submit their resume. Some members seem to know more than Monty.

I think you are on to something. The coaching staffs and all members of the front offices of both the Suns and the Cardinals should turn in their resignations and be replaced by ASFN members. From reading these forums for years now, it is clear to me that the folks here know more than the professionals in both organizations. Clearly, our own members here could step right on and raise the win totals of both clubs and achieve multiple championships.

At least that's my conclusion drawn from the extreme confidence in which the superior knowledge is propounded around here.

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard Steve Kerr also has only one year left in contract.

Isn't that just another potential tampering deal? I don't know how you hire a coach who already has an NBA job, except maybe get permission to talk first, which your competitor will not grant as to the big names like Kerr.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't that just another potential tampering deal? I don't know how you hire a coach who already has an NBA job, except maybe get permission to talk first, which your competitor will not grant as to the big names like Kerr.
So. Is talking to a guy's agent considered tampering? I always wondered about the specifics of that rule.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think as long as you get permission from the other team to talk to a coach, it's not tampering.

Don't do like the Cardinals did with the hire of head coach Jonathan Gannon.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think you are on to something. The coaching staffs and all members of the front offices of both the Suns and the Cardinals should turn in their resignations and be replaced by ASFN members. From reading these forums for years now, it is clear to me that the folks here know more than the professionals in both organizations. Clearly, our own members here could step right on and raise the win totals of both clubs and achieve multiple championships.

At least that's my conclusion drawn from the extreme confidence in which the superior knowledge is propounded around here.

I never understand this argument. If a major league shortstop airmails 10% of his throws to first, it's easy to recognize that this is a deficiency. You don't have to be able to do it yourself for the criticism to be valid.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I never understand this argument. If a major league shortstop airmails 10% of his throws to first, it's easy to recognize that this is a deficiency. You don't have to be able to do it yourself for the criticism to be valid.
I think the point is, to be in position to make the position to not play the guy who airmails his throws in the first place.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick Nurse's name is associated with the Suns.

If Ishbia wants someone in particular, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move quickly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Nick Nurse's name is associated with the Suns.

If Ishbia wants someone in particular, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move quickly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I know when the Cards were interviewing we heard reports of guys coming to Phoenix for interviews. Seems all quiet on the Suns front. Of course, Ishbia ia a new school owner. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't Zoom or Skype his meetings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know when the Cards were interviewing we heard reports of guys coming to Phoenix for interviews. Seems all quiet on the Suns front. Of course, Ishbia ia a new school owner. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't Zoom or Skype his meetings.

Yeah, I think a new hire is likely to happen quickly although that doesn't mean it wasn't researched behind the scene.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, I think a new hire is likely to happen quickly although that doesn't mean it wasn't researched behind the scene.
You would hope before June so we can hit the free agents running. It would be better to have an idea of what schemes we were running with what coach to fit the players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would hope before June so we can hit the free agents running. It would be better to have an idea of what schemes we were running with what coach to fit the players.

I think we will know soon, unless a candidate is coaching for the remaining playoff teams.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we will know soon, unless a candidate is coaching for the remaining playoff teams.

I just hope they don't make the mistake Boston appears to have made, a young coach that is over his head. He may be great in 20 years, and Spolstra for example is way better than he was initially. But with our aging roster, we need someone highly experienced that is ready to take names and start outcoaching other teams right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose