The Steve Keim Report Card - You be the Judge

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Depends on if you blame him for injuries to players. Good picks turn into busts if the players are always broken up.
Both Humphries and Nkemdiche had nagging injuries in college I believe.

I am really curious to see if they continue to stick with Bucannon at ILB long term. He has been average at best at LB, and it could be a bit scary with just him and Reddick inside. Two players who were moved to a position that can be very dependent on instincts.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Both Humphries and Nkemdiche had nagging injuries in college I believe.

I am really curious to see if they continue to stick with Bucannon at ILB long term. He has been average at best at LB, and it could be a bit scary with just him and Reddick inside. Two players who were moved to a position that can be very dependent on instincts.
Yes. If Humphries is out for any extended period of time, it's on Keim. Oft-injured college prospect injured in pros. Same with Niklas.

Keim is fine. GM performance is random. The difference between great and on a radio show somewhere is whether you lick into a QB.

Now, do I want to trust that decision to a guy who fell in love with Mike Glennon...?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some of the ways he spends money are head scratching... like signing TM to be the highest paid player designated as a safety for $62M with $40M guaranteed without playing a snap in a real game since ACL surgery. I'm a big TM fan, but as a business decision that is just nuts. Even if Badger played even better than he did before it wouldn't have made it less crazy.

I don't know why DS has a roster spot, so color me biased, but I also don't understand how he is the highest (or at least one of the highest) paid backup QBs, making more than many other more talented QBs. I know that might sound like nitpicking, but he's making about 3X as he should and every $2 mil you save increases the chance of bringing a FA stud to the team or keeping someone worth the money cash from leaving for a higher offer.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If this season goes down the tubes, it wouldn't surprise me if Arians, Fitz and Palmer all ride off into the sunset and we have to do a team tear down and rebuild almost from scratch... with four great/really good players (DJ, Peterson, golden and #55) and prob bringing in a new coach/draft a QB in round 1.

We're old, not very dynamic and old.

That sounds like a best case scenario to me, except for the part where Fitz goes. If this season gets sideways like last year and BA still refuses to make adjustments it would not concern me if were to hang up his hat because it means it's time he does.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The 2018 issue...

Carson Palmer will be overpaid @ 20.625 mil.
Jared Veldheer will be overpaid @ 10.25 mil.
Mike Iupati will be overpaid @ 9.7 mil.
Deone Bucannon will be overpaid @ 8.71 mil.
Jermaine Gresham will be overpaid @ 7.25 mil.

With Tramon Williams and Justin Bethel as FA, we will only have 2 CBs of the 4 on the 53 man roster under contract.

John Brown, Jaron Brown, and Brittain Golden will all be FAs, and Fitz has a voidable contract. Only Chad Williams and JJ Nelson under contract.

With both Kerwynn Williams and Andre Ellington as FAs, only David Johnson and Penny under contract at RB.

Both backup QBs Stanton and Gabbert will be FAs. With Palmer being overpaid and a potential retirement candidate, we could be looking at an entirely new QB depth chart.

6 (Rucker, Peters, Martin, Dansby, Bynes, and Wright) of our currently rostered 15 front seven defensive players will be FAs.
They'll have a lot of holes to fill next year.
Qb, T, G, WR on offense. DL, ILB, CB on defense.

If they go nowhere I think they'll ask Palmer to retire. If not that leaves a bunch of dead money on the books. Veldheer may want to retire also.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They'll have a lot of holes to fill next year.
Qb, T, G, WR on offense. DL, ILB, CB on defense.

If they go nowhere I think they'll ask Palmer to retire. If not that leaves a bunch of dead money on the books. Veldheer may want to retire also.
In a bubble you have Palmer retire, Fitzgerald retire, cut Veldheer, cut Iupati, and extend/let go of Bucannon.

The problem with this is that I am not sure we have any replacements for these players on the roster, and there are a ton of other roster spots that need to be filled.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Crazy thought and this is just a question to the group. In lieu of Indy doing so poorly and in need of a complete rebuild. Would you trade 2 number 1 picks for Luck?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy thought and this is just a question to the group. In lieu of Indy doing so poorly and in need of a complete rebuild. Would you trade 2 number 1 picks for Luck?

I don't think so, because this team looks like it's in need of a complete rebuild at the end of this season. We're old and relatively talentless on O outside of DJ and we've got maybe three dependable guys on D with Peterson/Jones/Golden... and the jury's out on the last two until they show they can get to the QB without CC's help up front.

Giving up two 1s for a QB with mystery injury issues to his throwing shoulder while we're in a complete rebuild mode doesn't make sense to me. We should be using those #1 picks to grab a QB of the future and either a dominant DL or OT.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the biggest waste may have been Badger money (much as it pains me to say that). I know, I know, he has been injured. Except, he supposedly, is not injured now and he did a very credible Invisible Man imitation against the Lions. I saw several plays with him running behind his coverage target, several steps behind.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
HB got burnt on several key 3rd down plays. Betcher and HB have to get some things figured out.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I think the biggest waste may have been Badger money (much as it pains me to say that). I know, I know, he has been injured. Except, he supposedly, is not injured now and he did a very credible Invisible Man imitation against the Lions. I saw several plays with him running behind his coverage target, several steps behind.

We'll see, everyone that was proclaiming that he was back may have been premature. It takes about a year and a half to fully come back from knee surgery. So I would say if he has got awhile to go before he's truly 100%.

PS unless your name is All Day, that dude just wasn't human, but he looks pedestrian now.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My thoughts on the Mathieu issue is that the Cardinals refuse to acknowledge what he is. Tyrann Mathieu is the best slot CB in the game. But, like refusing to see that Antrel Rolle was a S, the Cardinals refuse to see this. Instead they play him 90% of snaps, and put him at S where he has decided he needs to bulk up to play. Well, when you bulk up, you get slower and Mathieu has gotten slower between the added weight and the knee injuries. Play him the 65% of nickel snaps, let him be lean and mean, and be happy with the result.

Now, Mathieu is a slow S who the Cards put on slot receivers like Golden Tate who then take him to school because he isn't as quick as he needs to be.

Rant over.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My thoughts on the Mathieu issue is that the Cardinals refuse to acknowledge what he is. Tyrann Mathieu is the best slot CB in the game. But, like refusing to see that Antrel Rolle was a S, the Cardinals refuse to see this. Instead they play him 90% of snaps, and put him at S where he has decided he needs to bulk up to play. Well, when you bulk up, you get slower and Mathieu has gotten slower between the added weight and the knee injuries. Play him the 65% of nickel snaps, let him be lean and mean, and be happy with the result.

Now, Mathieu is a slow S who the Cards put on slot receivers like Golden Tate who then take him to school because he isn't as quick as he needs to be.

Rant over.

I've said this for three years, and people refuse to believe it. The further Mathieu is from the line of scrimmage, the less effective and useful he is.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lets give him a few more games.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rant over.
He would cover the same guy as a slot CB?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson