The Outsiders

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a search didnt see a thread on this.. BIM will prolly prove me wrong though.. jerk..

But.. This movie is great.. Prolly the only movie I watched after reading the book first.. The book is much better, but this still is a great movie to me.. I read the book when I was 12 or so.. Then when I found out there was a movie about it 5-6 years later I couldnt believe how many actors that were famous were in it that were just starting out..

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I read it in 8th grade. It was the worst book I've ever read only because after every sentence it seemed my teacher had to explain something. It took 2 days to finish each chapter. I would have liked it otherwise probably, but that was terrible..

It was a pretty good movie though.

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I read the book in 8th grade too. The books are always better, but I still enjoyed the movie. I stumble upon it every few years and always stop to watch for a while. The cast is pretty remarkable.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Got the book for my 7th grader from the library and we watched this after he finished reading it. What a fine show. Loved the slang in this one.
Over a half hour of the film was cut before release, due to movie executives fearing it to be too long and a chance of upsetting fans of the book, making the movie a mere 91 minutes. In 2005, a "director's cut" DVD of this film was released that restores much of this footage.

In addition to the 22 minutes of restored footage in the 2005 "Complete Novel" DVD, there are additional scenes that are not included, such as: an extension of the "walking home" introduction where the Socs accost Sodapop and Steve at the DX station and Darry throws some debris from the roof of a house at their car as they drive past him (this extension also includes more narration by Ponyboy); an alternate introduction to Johnny where his mother chases him out of the house with a broom, only to be stopped by Two-Bit, who rushes to Johnny's aid; additional footage of Ponyboy and Johnny at the church where they hide from some people riding on a horse; additional footage where Ponyboy and Darry have a fight only to be walked out on by Sodapop; an extended morning scene following the church fire where Ponyboy awakes and urges Sodapop to wake up, echoing the words he heard Darry say in his dream at the church about "rise and shine."

I didn't know there was a director's cut. I'll have to check that out when my 4th grader is old enough to watch this.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fans of this film (like myself) will enjoy the 2 disc DVD special edition called The Outsiders:The Complete Novel.
It's got loads of extras. The additional scenes Bada0Bing mentioned....plus multiple commentaries,featurettes etc...
Its also interesting that this film version contains an all new soundtrack added by Coppola. It takes a bit of getting used to at first but its a nice touch i think. I can't argue with the classic tracks he chose to add.

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I read it in 8th grade. It was the worst book I've ever read only because after every sentence it seemed my teacher had to explain something. It took 2 days to finish each chapter. I would have liked it otherwise probably, but that was terrible..

It was a pretty good movie though.

was your teacher reading the book to you?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
was your teacher reading the book to you?

I remember my 8th grade teacher reading "That Was Then, This Is Now" to us.

It goes slow, but otherwise a lot of kids wouldn't bother to read it and you can't have class discussions.