The future of the Coyotes franchise...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still sad. The Coyotes have been such a big part of my life the past 25+ years. And finally have a team that has a bright future.

*sigh* :yotes: :coyotes:

Me--------> :mulli:<<---Tempe
Friends of mine posted similar today - season ticket holders for 18 years, Erika actually had her water break on an escalator in Glendale going to her seat.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I wasn’t an avid fan, but went to the first ever home opener at AWA as a kid and later several games in Glendale as an adult when my now wife worked part time for the Arena. Good memories!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
5 years to get an arena built and Merulo & AZ will have a franchise.

I know franchise sales don't fund immediately, etc - but there should be some additional working capital to get it done

Can't say my confidence level is close to 100% for Merulo, but here we are - no reason he shouldn't be able to get it done

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still sad. The Coyotes have been such a big part of my life the past 25+ years. And finally have a team that has a bright future.

*sigh* :yotes: :coyotes:

Me--------> :mulli:<<---Tempe

The Tempe Landfills jerseys I'm launching are going to be fire because they're actually made from oily rags dipped in acetone. There's still a handful of ground floor investment opportunities if you're interested. PM me.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frustrating.

No reason they could not have just had Utah on the back burner and waited until June's land auction. Just the difference of a few weeks.

If the Coyotes won the auction and gained land for their project the NHL could have brokered a deal for them to play in Glendale (or somewhere else temporarily) until the new place was built. Then you give the next expansion team to Utah.

If the deal fell through and there would be even more delays in getting a stadium project done here, then you sell the team to Utah and make Arizona wait for future expansion.

Just ridiculous to force a team out of a city where it has been for nearly three decades and turn around and promise that same owner that he can have an expansion team within 5 years if he succeeds in doing what he has not been able to before.

I honestly wish someone else would come here, get a stadium project done, and be granted an expansion team.

So, now we are back to a 3-sport town. Interestingly enough, if we do get an expansion team within 5 years, only the Cardinals will remain as a transplanted franchise in the state.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry to you guys to have it come to this. Didn't frequent this thread often as a Flyers fan until the two times we played each other, but I just hate for my AZ peeps to take a hit like this.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be rooting for the players. They are an incredible bunch of extremely talented and all-around great young men. I would love to see guys like Keller, Schmaltz, Cooley, Guenther, Doan, Maccelli, Crouse, Carcone, McBain, Hayton, O'Brien, Moser, Bjugstad, etc... all take their careers to new highs!
I understand that part!

And great to see you, at least virtually, 82!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Frustrating.

No reason they could not have just had Utah on the back burner and waited until June's land auction. Just the difference of a few weeks.

If the Coyotes won the auction and gained land for their project the NHL could have brokered a deal for them to play in Glendale (or somewhere else temporarily) until the new place was built. Then you give the next expansion team to Utah.

If the deal fell through and there would be even more delays in getting a stadium project done here, then you sell the team to Utah and make Arizona wait for future expansion.

Just ridiculous to force a team out of a city where it has been for nearly three decades and turn around and promise that same owner that he can have an expansion team within 5 years if he succeeds in doing what he has not been able to before.

I honestly wish someone else would come here, get a stadium project done, and be granted an expansion team.

So, now we are back to a 3-sport town. Interestingly enough, if we do get an expansion team within 5 years, only the Cardinals will remain as a transplanted franchise in the state.
Not sure I agree with the first part about waiting until June. Those staying with the club need to get their lives in order to move, and those unable to move need their positions filled locally. Plus, I've already heard that they might not have a name/logo figured out in time for next season, so they might start as something like "Utah Hockey Club."

Not sure why the NHL is so dead set on keeping a team in this market after every obstacle faced either.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This is just a no win situation - even if Muerelo is able to build the stadium, you still have a garbage owner.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We'd still have the Coyotes if he'd have signed. I get wanting your own building but he didn't have the money or the land to make that happen. His own greed cost the Phoenix metro area the team.

It's not like the Glendale arena was an outdated dump either. That arena was perfect for hockey. I regularly got seats in the first row of the upper bowl, on the ends with the goals, and those seats gave a great view of the ice. It was almost like a video game view. I'd been to a handful of games in AWA before hand and sat in the lower and upper bowl, even once in a suite, and those didn't compare to the Glendale arena. I also sat like 4 rows from the glass in Glendale but preferred the upper bowl because of the angle it gave.

I don't much about the owner but the more I'm learning from this the less I like him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard