The Dexter Lawrence Conundrum

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
if you’ve viewed my mock draft, roster projection and posts, you already know that Dexter Lawrence is one of my favorite players in this draft. I like him more that Murray, more than Bosa and more than Quinnen Williams. A lot of people ask me “¿Why do you like Lawrence more than Williams, draft NT’s in the late rounds, doesn’t have any value as a pass rusher...”

1. I like him more than Williams because I believe that Lawrence is more of a true NT.
2. All (99% of “NT’s”) in this draft don’t have enough length to succeed in this league.
3. The Job of a true NT isn’t to rush the QB in this pass heavy league but to:
a. Clog rushing lanes/holes
b. Occupy blockers (O-linemen)

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's like a 230 pound RB that doesn't have long speed and can't catch. Versatility is becoming more and more valuable every season, which makes his value less and less. If he's there in the third jump on it... Before then I don't like it

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
if you’ve viewed my mock draft, roster projection and posts, you already know that Dexter Lawrence is one of my favorite players in this draft. I like him more that Murray, more than Bosa and more than Quinnen Williams. A lot of people ask me “¿Why do you like Lawrence more than Williams, draft NT’s in the late rounds, doesn’t have any value as a pass rusher...”

1. I like him more than Williams because I believe that Lawrence is more of a true NT.
2. All (99% of “NT’s”) in this draft don’t have enough length to succeed in this league.

Ed Oliver says hello :)

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Aaron Donald says hello and Ed Oliver says hello again :)
Aaron Donald was drafted into a 4-3 as DT, different from us. Of course, now he plays weakside RDE in a 3-4, which RDE's typically are shorter and have less length

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What is your silly fixation on NT?

The Cardinals have a starting spot at DE open. Peters us the starting NT and he's pretty solid.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Not quite. Parcels style 3-4 has used penetrating NTs who are smaller.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No way he's a first rounder, but if we pick up an extra 2nd rounder or more, he'd be a big meaty anchor in the DL like we haven't seen in many years. You need someone to eat a double team on every play, and he's tailor made.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

The Cardinals have a starting spot at DE open. Peters us the starting NT and he's pretty solid.

Because he has all the tools, and the size, and the skills.

........................................OH MY GOODNESS, he is Alan Branch all over again. :shudder:

Damn these football gods and their tricks.

..........still like Lawerence at #33. LOL

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lawrence would be there in the 2nd round. Not sure if we want to use that low of a pick on him. :shrug:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Love Dexter. No way he lasts to #33. Bet he goes between 17 and 25.

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score

Unfortunately Peters is 30 (31 in June), so his replacement will have to come sooner probably rather than later

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dexter Lawrence is the perfect NT in a 3-4 IMO.

And he would go a long way to replacing Peters and saving us some money on the end of his deal.

I do love what Peters brings though and would understand not wanting to remove another leader (and Captain) from the group.

With that in mind, I wonder who gets the defensive captain designations this year. With Suggs joining the squad, and Bethea leaving maybe thats it, but I think we may see some changes this year.

-- WR Larry Fitzgerald
-- QB Sam Bradford <---- HAHAHAHA
-- CB Patrick Peterson
-- S Antoine Bethea
-- DE Chandler Jones
-- DT Corey Peters
-- K Phil Dawson
Jones
Peterson
Peters
Suggs
Fitz
????
Lee or Budda

I would love it if DJ Swearinger gets some love. We need more of an attitude on defense IMO.

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
I would love it if DJ Swearinger gets some love. We need more of an attitude on defense IMO.[/QUOTE]
Would Swearinger play SS ir FS?
I thought Baker would play SS (or slot corner)? Swearinger in my opinion is a true SS

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
DJ is a SS IMO. Especially in this defense.

Bringing back a true ball hawk for FS is critical IMO. I was sad that we didn't at least pursue Earl Thomas but think there are other cheaper options out there. Maybe bring Tre Boston back? Not sure.

Budda will be close to the line playing Slots or rushing the passer in some scenarios. He will become a star this year IMO.

Reactions: Kai

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Three overriding concerns when adding a NT

1. The proverbial non-stop motor? Does he have it?

2. Is he rock-hard or flabby?

3. Is he massive enough to man-handle the inside run?

We don't need midgets, we don't need fatties and we don't need guys walking around gasping in the 4Q. We do need a big, aggressive, relentless presence inside. If the right guy is available at the right cost, we could use one of those.

NittanyCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I would love it if DJ Swearinger gets some love. We need more of an attitude on defense IMO.
Why? He's barely average. Bounced around to 5 teams in 6 years

Yeah we need more of an attitude but he's terrible. Brain dead when it comes to giving up big plays.

Tony was far superior in every way too bad we had to let him go to the giant pay day.

Reactions: Kai
OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Quoted another person for that sentence btw
He’s probably going to be a backup behind Budda

/nittanycard

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why? He's barely average. Bounced around to 5 teams in 6 years

Yeah we need more of an attitude but he's terrible. Brain dead when it comes to giving up big plays.

Tony was far superior in every way too bad we had to let him go to the giant pay day.

I think you are underrating Swearinger. He's a good SS.

His issues with Redskins had nothing to do with play, he was a team captain. He criticized the D coordinator. His issue is attitude.

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Todd Bowles also had one of the worst defenses in the league last year

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member