the Cards will tell you what they will do.....

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
im a subscriber to the Chris Sanders assertion that the Cards org will tell their fans what they plan to do in the draft. This is especially true when what they will do doesnt equal fan expectations.

I think this is the Cards org prepping the fans via the flagship radio station:

https://arizonasports.com/story/229...ardinals-choices-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/

"How about trading down?

“I think that should be the priority,” Gambo says. “I think that that’s what they would love to do. They don’t have a second-round pick in this draft. I do think the priority is try to trade down, move down six, seven, eight, nine spots (and) get a second-round pick.”"

the range noted is interesting: that is 14 - 17 -- TB, DEN, ATL, DAL. All rumored to be interested in trading up.

In the past, Keim has noted that pre-draft, teams talk to determine who is interested in moving, expectations, etc. and outline potential deals.

i think this has legs

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Yes and No.

I Think They are preparing for this. This draft Can play out in Many ways, But if it goes as expected the elite prospects and 2-3 QBs are gone Pick 1 to 6-7.
That means Carolina Or us are the most likely candidate to Trade up with.

I wouldn’t mind trading down 4 spots for 2 3rd rounders.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
All these parameters are based on "their dude", being there. So I'm sure they talk and have a good idea of who would/should be there and the compensation. But if their dude is gone all talked about deals fall by the wayside. So if a trade is going to happen it wont be until we're in the clock. So what sk wants to do today could change come Thursday.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
It’s all going to depend on who’s available and what kind of grade they have on players.
To pick up a 2nd round pick we aren’t talking about moving back a few spots unless a team is overpaying for a specific guy. They’d probably be moving back to mid or high teens. Is it worth the risk of missing out on the highest rated defensive players, best OT’s or receivers? Personally, I want them to stand pat unless they get an offer they can’t refuse. Nobody should have an issue with not having a 2nd round pick considering what they got in return for that selection.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just hope they don’t get cute and trade out of drafting an elite prospect just to recoup a 2nd round pick.
At #8 they have the opportunity to draft the #1 prospect at several positions (LB, DL, WR, DB). OL is the one position I wouldn’t mind trading down because there is no consensus top player.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’ve felt for a couple of weeks now the Cardinals have 1 or 2 guys they really like at 8 and if they are both gone they will trade down. I have no idea who those 1 or 2 are, I would guess Okudah is one but who knows?
Same. And I’m perfectly fine with trading down if one of their guys aren’t there

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Totally agree with you on Reddick...both QB's went right before us (along with Lattimore) and it feels like we weren't ready. Still surprised they didn't take Malik Hooker but they blew it big time.

Freaking Nkemdiche seemed like a reasonable risk at the time but could have taken Jaylon Smith (also a risk) or Chris Jones who went 6 picks later at same position!

Humphries was a wasted pick as well. We had Veldheer at LT and Massie at RT.

Bucannon (2014) - that year we should have traded up vs down. We went from 20 to 27 with trade to Saints. We ended up with Deone and John Brown (could have had Brandin Cooks at #20). We really couldn't have screwed this one up if we had traded up even a little bit (17th or higher):

You must be registered for see images attach

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally agree with you on Reddick...both QB's went right before us (along with Lattimore) and it feels like we weren't ready. Still surprised they didn't take Malik Hooker but they blew it big time.

Freaking Nkemdiche seemed like a reasonable risk at the time but could have taken Jaylon Smith (also a risk) or Chris Jones who went 6 picks later at same position!

Bucannon (2014) - that year we should have traded up vs down. We went from 20 to 27 with trade to Saints. We ended up with Deone and John Brown (could have had Brandin Cooks at #20). We really couldn't have screwed this one up if we had traded up even a little bit (17th or higher):

The same Brandin Cooks that’s been traded 3 times in a 5 year span with HOF QBs throwing him the ball in Brady/Brees & a great offensive mind in McVay?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think, they have 2-3 Players they want at 8 Okudah, Simmons and don't know maybe Lamp, and if they aren't there, they trade down.

I hope it doesn't go like bucannon abd so on, was high on Ford that yeat and wanted him...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the cards will basically broadcast their intentions at some point leading up to the draft...
barring any trade opportunities. Keim likes trades, he is addicted to the wheel and deal aspect of running a team....and he places too much value on draft picks.

we got DHop for our second round pick

it is likely, trading out of the top ten, back around ten spots...in order to get us another second round pick...is gonna net us two guys who will not equal up to the value of the guy we could get at 8 if we just stand pat.

I am not necessarily on the "draft a WR" band wagon.... but getting CeeDee Lamb and DHop as your top two picks in the draft is a pretty big win regardless of how the rest of the picks work out...... throw in okudah or simmons and in my eyes it becomes an even bigger win.....even an unsexy big man who has the potential to be a ten year starter would be an awesome first round pick....

with this depth at WR in the draft we might see some of our best additions come from round 8......bringing in a few young guys with talent who can push the youngsters we already have could be some of the best choices we make.

maybe if hakeem Butler is afraid for his job he will find a way to access that talent pool he is sitting on, learn to hang on to the ball

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The same Brandin Cooks that’s been traded 3 times in a 5 year span with HOF QBs throwing him the ball in Brady/Brees & a great offensive mind in McVay?

That entire post and this is the one thing you pull out of it? :)

I wasn't clear but my point was if you wanted a WR like John Brown (taken in the 2nd), you could have had Brandin Cooks in the 1st vs Bucannon (is he even in the league anymore?).

I would argue that Cooks' career has been better than John Brown. BTW, Cooks was a 1st round pick, he has been traded for 2 #1 picks, and a 2nd round pick. He is doing something right.

FWIW - we took Troy Niklas in round 2 that year (1 spot ahead of Davonte Adams)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Keim can get fair value for the 8th pick I think he is trading down.

There would have to be someone very special there to change his mind. He likes having more draft picks.

I'm guessing not having a second round pick (or more picks) is gnawing away at him.

Keim abhors a vacuum. :mrgreen:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the cards will basically broadcast their intentions at some point leading up to the draft...
barring any trade opportunities. Keim likes trades, he is addicted to the wheel and deal aspect of running a team....and he places too much value on draft picks.

we got DHop for our second round pick

it is likely, trading out of the top ten, back around ten spots...in order to get us another second round pick...is gonna net us two guys who will not equal up to the value of the guy we could get at 8 if we just stand pat.

I am not necessarily on the "draft a WR" band wagon.... but getting CeeDee Lamb and DHop as your top two picks in the draft is a pretty big win regardless of how the rest of the picks work out...... throw in okudah or simmons and in my eyes it becomes an even bigger win.....even an unsexy big man who has the potential to be a ten year starter would be an awesome first round pick....

with this depth at WR in the draft we might see some of our best additions come from round 8......bringing in a few young guys with talent who can push the youngsters we already have could be some of the best choices we make.

maybe if hakeem Butler is afraid for his job he will find a way to access that talent pool he is sitting on, learn to hang on to the ball

Exactly take the talent, dont draft for need. That's how you get Sam Bowie over MJ, Levi Brown over AP. Keims dying for more picks but I see a Suggs for Calvin Pace Bryant Johnson happening.

You take Simmons, Okudah or Lamb, so what you get Kylers #1 Target and Hopkins pick 1 and 2, that's awesome that's a good problem to have.

Arguments for Lamb:

A- Kyler and Lamb have chemistry, he was his top weapon and that's irreplaceable, you have never seen a Rookie of the year QB, teamed with his top weapon the following year.

B- Lamb knows the terminology, it was taken from Oklahoma to help Kyler succeed.

C- is familiar with the offense

D- Top in Yards after catch, what this offense runs on
E- due to Cvd-19 you lose mini camps and rookie mini camps, so the familiarity with the system and chemistry with Kyler already, is as important as ever.

F- Larry is retiring ASAP, you groom Lamb and dont miss a beat when this happens.

G -2 years left on Kirk's deal and he has has injury issues. So you are looking at possibly losing Fitz and Kirk in the next 2 seasons

H- Andy Isabella, Butler and Johnson dont look like they will be big factors in the NFL. Butler was almost cut before camp, Andy played in 1% of snaps and Johnson played less and less until he was eventually Inactive, the exact opposite trajectory a rookie should have in a losing season.

Roll out the best WR Corp in the NFl next season!

With the ROY year QB Drake and a Oline that didnt do too bad last year

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
im a subscriber to the Chris Sanders assertion that the Cards org will tell their fans what they plan to do in the draft. This is especially true when what they will do doesnt equal fan expectations.

https://arizonasports.com/story/229...ardinals-choices-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/

"How about trading down?

“I think that should be the priority,” Gambo says. “I think that that’s what they would love to do. They don’t have a second-round pick in this draft. I do think the priority is try to trade down, move down six, seven, eight, nine spots (and) get a second-round pick.”"

the range noted is interesting: that is 14 - 17 -- TB, DEN, ATL, DAL. All rumored to be interested in trading up.

In the past, Keim has noted that pre-draft, teams talk to determine who is interested in moving, expectations, etc. and outline potential deals.

i think this has legs

Only has legs if one of the stalwart draftees on the "D" side doesn't drop. They're not passing on Simmons, Brown, Okudah - IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Exactly take the talent, dont draft for need. That's how you get Sam Bowie over MJ, Levi Brown over AP. Keims dying for more picks but I see a Suggs for Calvin Pace Bryant Johnson happening.

You take Simmons, Okudah or Lamb, so what you get Kylers #1 Target and Hopkins pick 1 and 2, that's awesome that's a good problem to have.

Arguments for Lamb:

A- Kyler and Lamb have chemistry, he was his top weapon and that's irreplaceable, you have never seen a Rookie of the year QB, teamed with his top weapon the following year.

B- Lamb knows the terminology, it was taken from Oklahoma to help Kyler succeed.

C- is familiar with the offense

D- Top in Yards after catch, what this offense runs on
E- due to Cvd-19 you lose mini camps and rookie mini camps, so the familiarity with the system and chemistry with Kyler already, is as important as ever.

F- Larry is retiring ASAP, you groom Lamb and dont miss a beat when this happens.

G -2 years left on Kirk's deal and he has has injury issues. So you are looking at possibly losing Fitz and Kirk in the next 2 seasons

H- Andy Isabella, Butler and Johnson dont look like they will be big factors in the NFL. Butler was almost cut before camp, Andy played in 1% of snaps and Johnson played less and less until he was eventually Inactive, the exact opposite trajectory a rookie should have in a losing season.

Roll out the best WR Corp in the NFl next season!

With the ROY year QB Drake and a Oline that didnt do too bad last year

There are ppl including myself that don’t see Lamb as MJ. The list of slimmer guys that don’t have elite speed turning into elite WR’s are rare. I think he’s incredibly safe though.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are ppl including myself that don’t see Lamb as MJ. The list of slimmer guys that don’t have elite speed turning into elite WR’s are rare. I think he’s incredibly safe though.

Lol just example of drafting for need going bad, never works leaves you with Tom Knights of the world

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That entire post and this is the one thing you pull out of it? :)

I wasn't clear but my point was if you wanted a WR like John Brown (taken in the 2nd), you could have had Brandin Cooks in the 1st vs Bucannon (is he even in the league anymore?).

I would argue that Cooks' career has been better than John Brown. BTW, Cooks was a 1st round pick, he has been traded for 2 #1 picks, and a 2nd round pick. He is doing something right.

FWIW - we took Troy Niklas in round 2 that year (1 spot ahead of Davonte Adams)

3rd round - 91st pick.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

"How about trading down?

i think this has legs
I think 14-15 is the preferred route for a 2nd. It may not be offered. Any further than that even if a 2nd is offered I'd have second thoughts. I'd need more than that.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Both the Lions and Giants who are open to trading down have said that the virtual draft room is going to make it difficult to make trades while on the clock. The want the deals in place before the draft.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nkemdiche was the 29th pick in the draft and was the ultimate boom or bust pick. I was thrilled when he fell to us. Good pick at the time

Hump was a wasted pick. He’s our starting LT and the guy we just paid to protect our QBOTF. How is that wasted? 24th pick in the draft.

Bucannon was a monster SS in school. We drafted him then all of a sudden found ourselves with no linebackers. Dansby left us hanging and Washington pissed his career away. BA asked him to gain weight and play LB and he did it

Bucannon and Brown were big parts on those BA teams.

You can play the would of game with every team in the draft every year. It gets old