The Big Bang Theory (CBS)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just started watching this show a few weeks ago when they started showing reruns on TBS.

I love it, hilarious, smart, witty, lots of hot women.

Sheldon totally cracks me up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first two seasons are great and are probably my two favorite seasons of any half hour comedy show ever. I don't think it holds up too well after that. Some good episodes but more misses than hits from season 3 on IMO. I still watch the show but I swear at it at least as often as I laugh at it.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first two seasons are great and are probably my two favorite seasons of any half hour comedy show ever. I don't think it holds up too well after that. Some good episodes but more misses than hits from season 3 on IMO. I still watch the show but I swear at it at least as often as I laugh at it.

Steve

I don't like the stuff with Amy Farrah Fowler but my GF loves it, thinks it's exactly what the show should have done.

We keep watching reruns and in one of them there's even an inside joke somethign about "TV's Blossom" which was before they had her on the show but they most have known she'd be there eventually or something.

I like Howard's GF but don't like that they appear to be making AFF into Sheldon's GF. They also seem to be losing continuity, more than once in the first 2 seasons Sheldon said something like "I don't dance", yet in the last season he went dancing with the girls and told them he learned to dance as a child in Texas something to do with Cotillion or something? It was funny to see but it was not consistent with the earlier shows and if you watch you KNOW that if that was true Sheldon would have told us that up front instead of just saying I don't dance. He would have explained why, he does that all the time.

I love the show still though, my work I'm surrounded by physicists and I see some of the BBT characters in people here so it's quite funny to me.

I think it's an extremely clever show and clearly Sheldon is the key to the whole thing but great characters all over.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the stuff with Amy Farrah Fowler but my GF loves it, thinks it's exactly what the show should have done.

We keep watching reruns and in one of them there's even an inside joke somethign about "TV's Blossom" which was before they had her on the show but they most have known she'd be there eventually or something.

I like Howard's GF but don't like that they appear to be making AFF into Sheldon's GF. They also seem to be losing continuity, more than once in the first 2 seasons Sheldon said something like "I don't dance", yet in the last season he went dancing with the girls and told them he learned to dance as a child in Texas something to do with Cotillion or something? It was funny to see but it was not consistent with the earlier shows and if you watch you KNOW that if that was true Sheldon would have told us that up front instead of just saying I don't dance. He would have explained why, he does that all the time.

I love the show still though, my work I'm surrounded by physicists and I see some of the BBT characters in people here so it's quite funny to me.

I think it's an extremely clever show and clearly Sheldon is the key to the whole thing but great characters all over.

I thought about putting my entire post here into spoiler brackets as I know there's a few that are still watching the early episodes for the first time but decided to just warn them off instead. The following contains possible SPOILERS!!!

I agree with much of what you said but I can't say I like what they've done to any of the original characters along the way. They've changed all of them a bit and I can't say any of the changes were for the better. They took a group of quirky geniuses and dumbed down just about everyone and gradually began to define each of them almost entirely by their flaws (especially Raj).

I liked the addition of Howard's girlfriend but I thought the show really took a turn for the worse when Howard had his brief affair with Leslie Winkle. She was a perfect opponent for Sheldon until her character becomes tainted by her sexual appetites (obviously, IMO). I loved it when AFF was a guest star but I think she's hurt the show as a regular. As for continuity, I can't remember specifics but I know I've commented several times that an episode felt like it was written by someone that had never watched the show before.

I still watch the show and prefer it to most half hour comedies but it's a far cry now from what it started out as. I'd probably like it more today if I wasn't such a fan of what it once was.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched for the first time. Mildly funny. Worst laugh track ever. Ugh.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently saw an episode for the first time, too.

The tall skinny guy's schtick really bothers me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently saw an episode for the first time, too.

The tall skinny guy's schtick really bothers me.

I think one of the things that happened is in the beginning they didn't really know what roles each character would play. It became apparent that Sheldon, the tall skinny guy, was the key to the show. They may have thought originally the whole thing was the interaction between the "nerds" and Penny, which was a big part of it it, but it became apparent they were just as funny without Penny because of the interaction between the 3 guys and Sheldon.

But now Sheldon's character is changing, sometimes hilariously sometimes as I pointed out totally out of character.

There's a million funny scenes I could point to but 2 of the best where when Leonard and Penny first hook up she makes french toast. Sheldon complains it's the wrong day for french toast, he wants oatmeal. After some back and forth Leonard and Penny leave the room and Sheldon looks at the french toast and says it sure does smell good, and then says too bad it's Tuesday and dumps it in the garbage. That was the essence of his character then rigid, stuck in a rut, they changed that sometimes for good but IMHO often at the expense of the show.

The other one was when he starts training penny's behavior by giving her chocolates. That's my favorite episode.

I missed last night my GF said it wasn't very good though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about putting my entire post here into spoiler brackets as I know there's a few that are still watching the early episodes for the first time but decided to just warn them off instead. The following contains possible SPOILERS!!!

I agree with much of what you said but I can't say I like what they've done to any of the original characters along the way. They've changed all of them a bit and I can't say any of the changes were for the better. They took a group of quirky geniuses and dumbed down just about everyone and gradually began to define each of them almost entirely by their flaws (especially Raj).

I liked the addition of Howard's girlfriend but I thought the show really took a turn for the worse when Howard had his brief affair with Leslie Winkle. She was a perfect opponent for Sheldon until her character becomes tainted by her sexual appetites (obviously, IMO). I loved it when AFF was a guest star but I think she's hurt the show as a regular. As for continuity, I can't remember specifics but I know I've commented several times that an episode felt like it was written by someone that had never watched the show before.

I still watch the show and prefer it to most half hour comedies but it's a far cry now from what it started out as. I'd probably like it more today if I wasn't such a fan of what it once was.

Steve

I should have added the change that I like the least, by far, is the addition of Priya the sister of Raj who dated Leonard. So happy she appears to being fazed out.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think one of the things that happened is in the beginning they didn't really know what roles each character would play. It became apparent that Sheldon, the tall skinny guy, was the key to the show. They may have thought originally the whole thing was the interaction between the "nerds" and Penny, which was a big part of it it, but it became apparent they were just as funny without Penny because of the interaction between the 3 guys and Sheldon.

But now Sheldon's character is changing, sometimes hilariously sometimes as I pointed out totally out of character.

There's a million funny scenes I could point to but 2 of the best where when Leonard and Penny first hook up she makes french toast. Sheldon complains it's the wrong day for french toast, he wants oatmeal. After some back and forth Leonard and Penny leave the room and Sheldon looks at the french toast and says it sure does smell good, and then says too bad it's Tuesday and dumps it in the garbage. That was the essence of his character then rigid, stuck in a rut, they changed that sometimes for good but IMHO often at the expense of the show.

The other one was when he starts training penny's behavior by giving her chocolates. That's my favorite episode.

I missed last night my GF said it wasn't very good though.

The episode last night was probably the least funny episode I've ever seen of this show. It was one of those that when it was over you were like, huh? That's it? Really???

Still love the show though and I'm 100% with you, I couldn't stand Raj's sister, she was so out of place in the whole show and I'm happy she's going away. They need to get back to basics.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm late to this party but the wife and I recently started watching this show and I must say it's good to know that there's at least one decent sitcom out in a sea of sophomoric shows about sex and fart jokes. The writing is brilliant and the comedy is great. The only character who gets om my nerves is the guy who talks like Elmer Fudd.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm late to this party but the wife and I recently started watching this show and I must say it's good to know that there's at least one decent sitcom out in a sea of sophomoric shows about sex and fart jokes. The writing is brilliant and the comedy is great. The only character who gets om my nerves is the guy who talks like Elmer Fudd.

I think you're talking about Kripke and I'm pretty sure he's supposed to get on your nerves. Great show, unfortunately , it gets butchered in reruns. They cut out some of the best moments and as far as I know, it's not available for streaming anywhere.

Steve

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Most surprisingly funny show ever.

I was so stubbornly against watching it, yet now I am a loyal follower.

Like any show it starts to suffer the longer it runs, yet though not as funny as in the beginning, the show still is funny, and has its charm.

The reason, at least in my opinion, the show has run for so long is that there is more material there to work with then meets the eye. Not only is there the nerd lifestyle to play with, but with Sheldon alone, the conflict of a highly logical person strugglingly with the strange social constructs of modern day society is my favorite thing the show plays with.

Case in point the, the non-optional tea to sooth those whom are distraught.

or the play on gift giving and the social "rules" that go along with that.

Anyway, its the first prime time sitcom I have watched since I was 12.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you're talking about Kripke and I'm pretty sure he's supposed to get on your nerves. Great show, unfortunately , it gets butchered in reruns. They cut out some of the best moments and as far as I know, it's not available for streaming anywhere.

Steve

I just saw that I can get seasons 1-5 on blu-ray for $79.99.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
We just started this show a few months ago. Last night we watched the season 3 episode with the Eye of the Tiger montage with Sheldon and Raj. That's one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a while.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just started this show a few months ago. Last night we watched the season 3 episode with the Eye of the Tiger montage with Sheldon and Raj. That's one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a while.

I'm drawing a blank, which episode are you talking about? Season 3 might be my favorite season but interplay between Sheldon and Raj doesn't really stand out except the office/desk conflict.

We're especially fond of the Adhesive Duck episode along with the related episode called the Excelsior Acquisition. Also, the final episode of the season introduces a great new regular character in addition to our favorite recurring guest character, Zack. About the only disappointed episode for us that season was the Cornhusker Vortex and even that had some good moments. Great show.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I'm drawing a blank, which episode are you talking about? Season 3 might be my favorite season but interplay between Sheldon and Raj doesn't really stand out except the office/desk conflict.

We're especially fond of the Adhesive Duck episode along with the related episode called the Excelsior Acquisition. Also, the final episode of the season introduces a great new regular character in addition to our favorite recurring guest character, Zack. About the only disappointed episode for us that season was the Cornhusker Vortex and even that had some good moments. Great show.

Raj was going to be deported so Sheldon hired him to work with...I mean "for" him. They were focusing on a physics problem in Sheldon's office and they kept showing them in different positions over the hours while Eye of the Tiger played in the background. I think it was episode 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson