The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign and trades happen all the time to appease both sides. Ayton is going to miss that extra year or money by a long shot with the goal as you state to get or go where he wants in 3 seasons.
Sign and trades aren't as common anymore, I believe. They happen but the original team has far less leverage now because they can't sign the player to anything more than what's available to the buying team other than cap assistance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you think they’d do this instead of just saying they’d match any offer?

Maybe Ayton signs before exploring free agency because he wants to stay and the Suns can offer more money over the life of the contract with better salary increases and the extra year.

If Ayton signs elsewhere he will probably want a shorter contract so he can opt out sooner.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign and trades aren't as common anymore, I believe. They happen but the original team has far less leverage now because they can't sign the player to anything more than what's available to the buying team other than cap assistance.
The only reason teams agree to them is so they get something in return. The originating team has always been at a disadvantage on these trades. Everybody knows the player wants out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It is true Ayton came make more salary here with us than elsewhere.

There are bigger markets where players can make more money outside of salary. The LAs, New Yorks, etc. Sometimes players can make up money otherwise. They can also get bigger shoe deals, etc, gaining a bigger market presence.

So logically, Ayton could make more salary here, but maybe make more money overall elsewhere.

Then there's the emotional component. DA may feel disrespected, or have negative feelings about playing for Sarver going forward.

I know recently the company I was working for, showed me no loyalty. I took a risk on myself, and found a job that actually pays more. I have quit working for a couple companies in my lifetime and was in position to tell them I did not feel they were loyal to me, so I left. I also have worked lower paying jobs when I felt loyal to the owners and felt they were trying their best to support me.

Hopefully DA balls out this season, we win a championship, then he has all the avenues professionally open up for him!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Ayton signs before exploring free agency because he wants to stay and the Suns can offer more money over the life of the contract with better salary increases and the extra year.

If Ayton signs elsewhere he will probably want a shorter contract so he can opt out sooner.
That's exactly what will happen which is why the extra year and money won't matter. If he signs with a big market team he will more than make up for in endorsements alone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns sign Landry Shamet to a 4 year/ $43 million contract which I posted on a new thread.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hardballing people into positions they don't want is no way to build a long term relationship.

You may be right, he might re-sign with the Suns and this might all be water under the bridge.

Then again, maybe he does feel disrespected, and performs so well that he decides to go elsewhere. Plenty of players have taken less to leave a situation, and Ayton wouldn't be the first.

This is just all so stupid. Ayton clearly deserves the 170 or so max, and if he plays like a superstar, he SHOULD be compensated as much. This is a self inflicted injury that could have been solved by just paying Ayton market value. Sarver talked a big game, but failed again when it matters the most.
Yeah I get all that.

I am not happy Sarver has handled it like this, and quite frankly I don't know what he thinks he is accomplishing because I cannot see any scenerio where Ayton doesn't get the max.

Even so, Ayton has no desire to leave. He grew up in phoenix, he wanted to be drafted by phoenix, he loves his teamates. He is not a guy that wants fame and wants to go to a big market. He wants to be Paid - that's all.

My best guess is Sarver wants him to "Earn" a max contract. In his warped thinking this may motivate him, and maybe it will. It does seem like being tough on him last year did get him to up his game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's exactly what will happen which is why the extra year and money won't matter. If he signs with a big market team he will more than make up for in endorsements alone.
Yeah, I'm sorry Ayton is not the type of player that gets big endorsements whereever he plays. He is predominatly a defensive player, and gets almost zero national media.

Maybe Zion could make more opting out, Ayton no chance.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I get all that.

I am not happy Sarver has handled it like this, and quite frankly I don't know what he thinks he is accomplishing because I cannot see any scenerio where Ayton doesn't get the max.

Even so, Ayton has no desire to leave. He grew up in phoenix, he wanted to be drafted by phoenix, he loves his teamates. He is not a guy that wants fame and wants to go to a big market. He wants to be Paid - that's all.

My best guess is Sarver wants him to "Earn" a max contract. In his warped thinking this may motivate him, and maybe it will. It does seem like being tough on him last year did get him to up his game.
All speculation. Noting motivates players more than feeling disrespected and that the home town feels entitled to a home discount. He knows he can get paid elsewhere even if he take less in the short term.

Yeah, I'm sorry Ayton is not the type of player that gets big endorsements whereever he plays. He is predominatly a defensive player.

Maybe Zion could make more opting out, Ayton no chance.
Nobody is saying he is getting MJ endorsement. However, the endorsement opportunities are much much larger in bigger markets. He doesn't need 100 million dollar a year Nike contract to make it up over the course of his next couple contracts.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Time for Ayton to shut up or nutt up. I feel like everyone else has bought into the team and continuity plans, except for Ayton.

Ayton was looking to get paid but it backfired on him. Time to earn it. He did make some noise in the playoffs but was also exposed by Giannis highlighting how far he is from greatness.

He’s said a lot of words. Time to mean it. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for Ayton to shut up or nutt up. I feel like everyone else has bought into the team and continuity plans, except for Ayton.

Ayton was looking to get paid but it backfired on him. Time to earn it. He did make some noise in the playoffs but was also exposed by Giannis highlighting how far he is from greatness.

He was exposed by Giannis? EVERYBODY is exposed by Giannis. That's hardly a knock on Ayton. Wanting a contract extension that is equivalent to your peers drafted does not mean he isn't buying into the "continuity" of the team. All reports are he is one of the hardest working players this offseason. Sure sounds like he is buying "into it" to me.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah I get all that.

I think the "earn it" thing is an illusion at best. Say five months goes down the road and Ayton balls out. How do you know he will continue once he gets the deal? You NEVER know!

IF (big IF) you are going to pay him the max later anyway, then why not pay him now? Ayton wants to earn what his peers got when they got it. That time frame has now passed. The Suns cannot ever get that back for him even if they pay him 5 months from now.

I feel like if they are not willing to pay him the max now, they are unlikely to do it later.

Just my gut feeling, but I think this may be the last year Ayton plays for PHX. Every team in free agency will make him feel loved more. You can't undo that your owner wanted you to prove you were worth it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

uh, no.

I don't expect Ayton to take less for the team. That's just a very pro-owner take. I don't watch the Phoenix Suns to watch Robert Sarver, I watch the Phoenix Suns to watch Ayton.

A max contract is pretty much the minimum for a player who is in the All Star level talk. Not saying Ayton is an All Star, but his play isn't that far off.

In sports, contracts are paid to players based on future potential not past production.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh, no.

I don't expect Ayton to take less for the team. That's just a very pro-owner take. I don't watch the Phoenix Suns to watch Robert Sarver, I watch the Phoenix Suns to watch Ayton.

A max contract is pretty much the minimum for a player who is in the All Star level talk. Not saying Ayton is an All Star, but his play isn't that far off.

In sports, contracts are paid to players based on future potential not past production.

And even then, his past production was one of the KEY factors that got us within 2 game of an NBA FINALS CHAMPIONSHIP.

Man... can only shake my head here and hope for the best.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This take is just way bad

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Took a few minutes to read the internet comments and it is pretty much a universal WTF is Phoenix doing. Really a bummer because I was excited for the team this year but now we will we have to listen to the Ayton contract storyline all season. Thanks $arver!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the "earn it" thing is an illusion at best. Say five months goes down the road and Ayton balls out. How do you know he will continue once he gets the deal? You NEVER know!

IF (big IF) you are going to pay him the max later anyway, then why not pay him now? Ayton wants to earn what his peers got when they got it. That time frame has now passed. The Suns cannot ever get that back for him even if they pay him 5 months from now.

I feel like if they are not willing to pay him the max now, they are unlikely to do it later.

Just my gut feeling, but I think this may be the last year Ayton plays for PHX. Every team in free agency will make him feel loved more. You can't undo that your owner wanted you to prove you were worth it.

I suspect you know this but just in case, whether we sign him to a max today or when the season is over, DA won't actually lose any money because of the timing. The extension will still kick in at the same time it would have had he signed after season 3.

It's possible that they felt that he played like a max player in the postseason and occasionally during the season and have told him to come with that same mindset every night if he wants the full max.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I suspect you know this but just in case, whether we sign him to a max today or when the season is over, DA won't actually lose any money because of the timing. The extension will still kick in at the same time it would have had he signed after season 3.

It's possible that they felt that he played like a max player in the postseason and occasionally during the season and have told him to come with that same mindset every night if he wants the full max.
I get that. If Ayton is logical then this works. If Ayton is a human with feelings, he may feel upset he has to prove it when his peers he feels he is better than, received the max. Maybe his agent tells him to stay and get paid. I hope so. I posted elsewhere not knowing how Ayton feels it could go either way,

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Which is why the rest of the NBA laughs at us!

Sarver still doesn't understand that basketball ain't banking, and the consequence of this is an angry player, and an issue that could potentially hang over this team like a dark cloud the entire season. Sarver thought he could bully Ayton into a below market deal, and failed. Sarver's leverage is worthless if Ayton tells him to pound sand.

Maybe motivational ploy works, but it has just as good a chance of blowing up in our faces.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The only way I see this works is if all the Suns keep bringing up "Pay the man" stuff, and make Ayton feel loved. They have to bring him the love. The only way they can do that, is make it against Sarver.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which is why the rest of the NBA laughs at us!

Sarver still doesn't understand that basketball ain't banking, and the consequence of this is an angry player, and an issue that could potentially hang over this team like a dark cloud the entire season. Sarver thought he could bully Ayton into a below market deal, and failed. Sarver's leverage is worthless if Ayton tells him to pound sand.

Maybe motivational ploy works, but it has just as good a chance of blowing up in our faces.
For any fan who has pulled for this team for a long time, we can all point out all of the risks that Colangelo took with this team.

While he never won a title, the Colangelo led Suns were one of the most consistently good sports franchises in North America. He traded for Penny, He traded for whats his stupid face from Denver, and many other trades where there was a risk involved.

Signing Ayton DOES have some risk, but the pay off is a CHAMPIONSHIP. And if you don't believe that, TRADE HIM NOW.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that. If Ayton is logical then this works. If Ayton is a human with feelings, he may feel upset he has to prove it when his peers he feels he is better than, received the max. Maybe his agent tells him to stay and get paid. I hope so. I posted elsewhere not knowing how Ayton feels it could go either way,

None of Ayton's peers have been suspended for PED's either, which tanked our entire season. I'm not saying it's right but he is the one who created the narratives that set him apart in a negative way. He has the right to feel slighted but his last 3 years aren't without incident.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
None of Ayton's peers have been suspended for PED's either, which tanked our entire season. I'm not saying it's right but he is the one who created the narratives that set him apart in a negative way. He has the right to feel slighted but his last 3 years aren't without incident.
I get that. Does Ayton? I mean people were telling him how great he was in the playoffs. Articles and media people kept telling him how good he was.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
For any fan who has pulled for this team for a long time, we can all point out all of the risks that Colangelo took with this team.

While he never won a title, the Colangelo led Suns were one of the most consistently good sports franchises in North America. He traded for Penny, He traded for whats his stupid face from Denver, and many other trades where there was a risk involved.

Signing Ayton DOES have some risk, but the pay off is a CHAMPIONSHIP. And if you don't believe that, TRADE HIM NOW.
At one point we had the third most franchise wins in NBA history total from consistently winning under Colangelo.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose