The Ayton Plan

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Ayton would risk playing for the qualifying offer of $16 million and become a free agent.

Most likely if he wants out he will accept a sign-and-trade after the season or the Suns decide to trade him this season but it's hard to bring a comparable player back on his current salary.

I can’t believe we’re having this conversation. This sucks. If he doesn’t take the one year, he can and probably will threaten to play for the one year, forcing a deal, one that gets us pennies on the dollar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe we’re having this conversation. This sucks. If he doesn’t take the one year, he can and probably will threaten to play for the one year, forcing a deal, one that gets us pennies on the dollar.

Ayton will likely play this season for the Suns and he can get a substantial contract next season whether he stays with Suns or accepts an offer sheet from another team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton will likely play this season for the Suns and he can get a substantial contract next season whether he stays with Suns or accepts an offer sheet from another team.

Uh... yeah. None of that is in debate.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh... yeah. None of that is in debate.

I don't think Ayton will try to become an unrestricted free agent. It's too risky. Also the Suns should get significant assets in return in a sign-and-trade.

Really I think this is more about the Suns saying they are not confident he is a max player.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Ayton will try to become an unrestricted free agent. It's too risky. Also the Suns should get significant assets in return in a sign-and-trade.

Really I think this is more about the Suns saying they are not confident he is a max player.

This is about the Sarver not having the money to pay him. Sarver’s main source of income is the Phoenix Suns. Saying he’s going to go into the luxury tax and pay guys is one thing but doing it is another.

When he made that statement earlier in the year there were several posters here who said talk is cheap and he’s going to have to show us

And yet here we are. How anyone thinks this is good or even acceptable is beyond me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No deal on Ayton. Talks have ended.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
What a horrible look for this franchise. After all the team has done to try and turn around their reputation. This sounds like Sarver to a "T" interfering once again. We are never going to find out the details of what got left on the table likely. However, you know it was non-guaranteed heavy. Usually if they had been able to meet in the middle talks would still be happening. This tells me the team was paying hardball.

Don't be shocked if Ayton walks after his contract. We have seen high profile players do this more and more over the years in the NBA. There will be a ton of teams lining up to sign him. My guess is that Ayton won't care either if there is a few million left on the table either.

No picks. No G-League. If Ayton walks? Booker likely will follow without a young core around him or another superstar at Paul's level. Paul will be done. Ayton will walk. No picks to reload. He has no reason to stay.

I still have some hope this gets taken care of if Ayton plays well. If not? Remember this day. In a few years we are going to say this was the start of the unravel and our return to bottom dwelling.

Last edited:

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Robert Sarver wants to really hated again by the valley. :rolleyes:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a horrible look for this franchise. After all the team has done to try and turn around their reputation. This sounds like Sarver to a "T" interfering once again. We are never going to find out the details of what got left on the table likely. However, you know it was non-guaranteed heavy. Usually if they had been able to meet in the middle talks would still be happening. This tells me the team was paying hardball.

Don't be shocked if Ayton walks after his contract. We have seen high profile players do this more and more over the years in the NBA. There will be a ton of teams lining up to sign him. My guess is that Ayton won't care either if there is a few million left on the table either.

Only getting into the facts and not the feelings part because I wanted the Suns to extend Ayton too.

For Ayton to walk as an unrestricted free agent he would have to play for the Suns two seasons if he wants to get paid.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only getting into the facts and not the feelings part because I wanted the Suns to extend Ayton.

For Ayton to walk as an unrestricted free agent he would have to play for the Suns two seasons if he wants to get paid.

Say he goes out and plays great. If a team comes along and offered his the max with all the extras couldn’t he take it? The suns could offer him an extra year right?

If I’m Ayton I ain’t coming back here and I tell my agent to make it clear

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only getting into the facts and not the feelings part because I wanted the Suns to extend Ayton too.

When I say "walk" it's a metaphor. There are all kinds of ways for him to get out of here. Especially, if he goes public about not wanting to return. No feelings about it. It's a fact and we have seen in multiple times.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Say he goes out and plays great. If a team comes along and offered his the max with all the extras couldn’t he take it? The suns could offer him an extra year right?

Good thing you are not Ayton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand the Suns can offer Ayton a better contract with more salary increases and the extra year if he decides to stay in restricted free agency.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Any agent with half a brain is going to tell him to resign with the suns if at all possible to get the additional $50 million dollar deal.
Hardballing people into positions they don't want is no way to build a long term relationship.

You may be right, he might re-sign with the Suns and this might all be water under the bridge.

Then again, maybe he does feel disrespected, and performs so well that he decides to go elsewhere. Plenty of players have taken less to leave a situation, and Ayton wouldn't be the first.

This is just all so stupid. Ayton clearly deserves the 170 or so max, and if he plays like a superstar, he SHOULD be compensated as much. This is a self inflicted injury that could have been solved by just paying Ayton market value. Sarver talked a big game, but failed again when it matters the most.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any agent with half a brain is going to tell him to resign with the suns if at all possible to get the additional $50 million dollar deal.

It can be an emotional thing. People don't always look at the math if they are unhappy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign and trade.
Sure that's a possibility but it still can't be for the max he'd get if he signed and stayed. It would cost him a lot of money and one less year if it's a sign and trade. More likely, if he insists on leaving, he will accept a 3 year max deal from someone so that he can get that max plus walk in 3 seasons as an unrestricted FA.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure that's a possibility but it still can't be for the max he'd get if he signed and stayed. It would cost him a lot of money and one less year if it's a sign and trade. More likely, if he insists on leaving, he will accept a 3 year max deal from someone so that he can get that max plus walk in 3 seasons as an unrestricted FA.
Sign and trades happen all the time to appease both sides. Ayton is going to miss that extra year or money by a long shot with the goal as you state to get or go where he wants in 3 seasons.

Anybody that thinks the extra year and money is going to stop a disgruntled player from leaving hasn't been paying attention ton the NBA for the last decade.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hate Robert Sarver. I used to be a huge Suns fan, but not really anymore. This year started to draw me back in, but Sarver is still such a black cloud over this team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the Suns can offer Ayton a better contract with more salary increases and the extra year if he decides to stay in restricted free agency.

Why do you think they’d do this instead of just saying they’d match any offer?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest... sitting on almost half of the MLE now rubs me the wrong way as well. Didn’t want to make a stink of it at the time, but between the no Ayton deal and sitting on cap space when we still need another PF who can play, and some were available, just have a bad taste in my mouth.

And please save your “we can offer buyout guys more money now!” takes for someone else. Buyout guys are usually Uber-wealthy and are going to go to the Lakers or Nets first, and two or three million bucks ain’t swaying that decision.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose