The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't believe there are still people mentioning Ayton's age. It's meaningless. He's the same player he was 3 years ago. He seems to be getting less comfortable holding the ball and drawing contact than he was as a rookie. Those issues put a massive ceiling on his offensive potential. His defense is dominant sometimes and then Sometimes he goes through the motions for entire games and the suns get killed.
That just isn't accurate. Yes he has many of the same weaknesses but he's added considerably to his offensive game (when he gets utilized).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Kings were infatuated with Sabonis, maybe like the Suns.

I wouldn't have traded Haliburton for Sabonis but that's the Kings. I suspect the Pacers preferred Haliburton over Fox but that's looking through my eyes only.

IMO, Haliburton will be much better than Brogdon.
Wow I didn’t realize in his limited time with Indiana he was already putting up:

17.5pts
9.6 assists
4.3 rebs
2 steals
.6 blocks (or .1 below Ayton)
50/42/85% shooting

Those are some crazy numbers already. Yeah not a good team, but still . . . people are definitely sleeping on him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
More like not ideal rather than bad pairing. Haliburton's size and lack of foot speed would suggest neither one of our starting guards could match up decently with the quick guards. It would also make it a little easier on opposing defenses.
We don’t guard the quick pgs with our guards anyway - we put bridges and cam Johnson on them to bother them with length. I used to think along your line of reasoning until I realized that we, and a lot of the league (who guarded Paul a lot the last two series? Defensive SFs), don’t match up traditionally anymore.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton apparently sleeps as little as 2 hours a night so he can play video games during the season. Those are his words.

“It’s so hard for me to sleep after long games, especially big, long games. I don’t know why, but I occupy my time with the game. I connect with some of my people. I got brothers in the UK. I got family in Jamaica and the Bahamas. During that game, we talk our smack. Whoever we just beat up on, we talk about it and laugh about it. I ain’t going to bed until 4 or 5 a.m. That’s how serious it gets.” explained Ayton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was speaking talent and overall impact on the game. I think both SGA and Murray are combo guards that could be good pairings with a Booker verses pure pgs.

I think all these guys are going to be very good point guards in a few years. I was a real fan of Fox, Shai and Haliburton.

I agree, Booker would be better playing beside a point/combo guard that can create his own shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow I didn’t realize in his limited time with Indiana he was already putting up:

17.5pts
9.6 assists
4.3 rebs
2 steals
.6 blocks (or .1 below Ayton)
50/42/85% shooting

Those are some crazy numbers already. Yeah not a good team, but still . . . people are definitely sleeping on him.

Yeah, I couldn't believe Haliburton was there at #10.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Ayton apparently sleeps as little as 2 hours a night so he can play video games during the season. Those are his words.

“It’s so hard for me to sleep after long games, especially big, long games. I don’t know why, but I occupy my time with the game. I connect with some of my people. I got brothers in the UK. I got family in Jamaica and the Bahamas. During that game, we talk our smack. Whoever we just beat up on, we talk about it and laugh about it. I ain’t going to bed until 4 or 5 a.m. That’s how serious it gets.” explained Ayton.
This explains so much honestly. The man just has so many games where he inexplicably has zero energy. This makes that a lot less inexplicable.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have ayton write a detailed letter on suns site tellin fans why he should dare get a max deal lol

Heck the team foffice already scripted a lame apology letter lol ughhh :(

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
But no less excusable.
It's kind of a double edge sword. On the one side if he ever gets this under control he would likely have energy and effort more consistently. On the other side it shows some really bad decision making that he may never get over and will continue to be a disappointment.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol, yep, 23 year olds rarely improve, esp those that start at 12.

Ok, now I know not to engage you on the topic!
Ayton will continue to get better probably all the way to age 30ish. Basketball fans have this insane view that guys are finished products in their early to mid 20s. It's dumb and not true. We've seen tons of players continue to get better until their physical decline around age 32ish. Even then that's not always true either.

If I were Ayton, I'd probably not work as hard either when I'm the third option. Devin Booker is a bit of a chucker at times and still takes a lot of dumb shots. The Suns need to feed Ayton early and often. Keep him engaged.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's kind of a double edge sword. On the one side if he ever gets this under control he would likely have energy and effort more consistently. On the other side it shows some really bad decision making that he may never get over and will continue to be a disappointment.
When people show you who they are, believe them. Why would he ever change once he gets a massive contract?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ayton will continue to get better probably all the way to age 30ish. Basketball fans have this insane view that guys are finished products in their early to mid 20s. It's dumb and not true. We've seen tons of players continue to get better until their physical decline around age 32ish. Even then that's not always true either.

If I were Ayton, I'd probably not work as hard either when I'm the third option. Devin Booker is a bit of a chucker at times and still takes a lot of dumb shots. The Suns need to feed Ayton early and often. Keep him engaged.
The guy is already the best Suns center at 23, the key to our D, a top 5 center already, and was one of our best performers in the postseason.

That so many people are ready to run him out of town on a rail because he is up late and had a tiff with Monty is just crazy. We're talking about a guy that can make any shot, shoots at an incredibly efficient rate, and improves every year.

Letting him go would be a colossal mistake - our biggest problem is CP, not Ayton.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The guy is already the best Suns center at 23, the key to our D, a top 5 center already, and was one of our best performers in the postseason.

That so many people are ready to run him out of town on a rail because he is up late and had a tiff with Monty is just crazy. We're talking about a guy that can make any shot, shoots at an incredibly efficient rate, and improves every year.

Letting him go would be a colossal mistake - our biggest problem is CP, not Ayton.
The problem is: Ayton can't pass himself the ball. He needs touches to be effective.

We disagree often on the Cardinals forum, but I think we see things the same here. Ayton is still a damn kid, and really freaking talented kid. And the Suns are about to run off the best center they've ever had over real dumb reasons.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The problem is: Ayton can't pass himself the ball. He needs touches to be effective.

We disagree often on the Cardinals forum, but I think we see things the same here. Ayton is still a damn kid, and really freaking talented kid. And the Suns are about to run off the best center they've ever had over real dumb reasons.
He absolutely DESERVES more touches. His efficiency is elite, and our team is much better when he is a threat.

Getting rid of him because Monty can't figure out how to use a guy that can score at every level effectively would be a great mistake. Unless we're getting a star, match any offer and make it work.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He absolutely DESERVES more touches. His efficiency is elite, and our team is much better when he is a threat.

Getting rid of him because Monty can't figure out how to use a guy that can score at every level effectively would be a great mistake. Unless we're getting a star, match any offer and make it work.

I think that was the next step in our plan to work Ayton into the 2nd option. I also think Ayton thinks he's a #1 option already, who's clearly not. Ayton's notions of himself are way off base imo, he's thinks of himself differently than he is perceived...or he just has bad people in his ear right now.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That just isn't accurate. Yes he has many of the same weaknesses but he's added considerably to his offensive game (when he gets utilized).
You're right, I should be more precise. He is more efficient and can now dribble once before shooting, but he is qualitatively the same player with a ceiling on his offensive potential. He has no idea what to do when defenses focus on him. He has no idea how to draw contact or finish when being fouled. Taken together I think its actually impossible for him to average more than 20 ppg and 2 apg.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’ve done this till I’m blue in the face. Don’t matter.

Ayton was great all season, our most consistent player in the playoffs and statistically our best defender in the playoffs. Horrible game 7 but I’ll wait right here till guys come tell me who was good in game 7.

Our PG were legitimately unplayable by NBA standards. Your all NBA hall of fame point guard for whatever reason is it this time didn’t show up AGAIN in the playoffs.

Your DPOY runner up Bridges? Abused on defense and offered nothing on offense.

Our PF position Crowder and Craig? How those guys do? That’s right

Cam Johnson finished what 2nd or 3rd in 3 point shooting in the regular season. How did he do? That’s right.

Booker was so bad at getting out of traps it was almost laughable. At this stage of his career he should be able to see it coming and adjust, but nope.

Anyone here want to tell me how they think Monty held his own against Kidd? Didn’t think so.

But yes Ayton was the problem. So trade him away, don’t resign him. Go into next season thinking your a back up PG away and Chris Paul who will be 38 will finally show up in the playoffs.

I’m all for trading anyone for a star but for random pieces. You’d be setting this franchise back years, but run it back with CP3 let me know how it goes.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol, yep, 23 year olds rarely improve, esp those that start at 12.

Ok, now I know not to engage you on the topic!

Aside from field goal percentage his stats haven't changed in 4 years in the NBA. What do you think his stats will be 4 years from now? Best case I'd say he gets 20 ppg, 11 reb and 2 ast.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Aside from field goal percentage his stats haven't changed in 4 years in the NBA.
Serious question, do you watch the games? His game has grown significantly since he's been in the NBA, nobody serious denies this.

What do you think his stats will be 4 years from now? Best case I'd say he gets 20 ppg, 11 reb and 2 ast.
I don't give a damn what his stats are 4 years from now. I care how he impacts a game on both ends of the floor, and if he's progressing.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think that was the next step in our plan to work Ayton into the 2nd option. I also think Ayton thinks he's a #1 option already, who's clearly not. Ayton's notions of himself are way off base imo, he's thinks of himself differently than he is perceived...or he just has bad people in his ear right now.
Please find me one quote or shred of evidence that Ayton thinks he's a #1 already.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson