The Ayton Plan

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish we were talking about getting rid of Cam Payne, Shamet, Dario, Elfred Payton and Crowder instead of Ayton. But after 4 years maybe departure is the only answer for everyone to be happy. But I may be wrong but I think Ayton will turn out great for someone else.
He might be one of those guys who needed to get spurned at his first stop to light the fire needed to be truly great.

Or he’s just the Center version of Lamar Odom.

He’s probably that… yeah… I actually think that’s the perfect comp for ability v. Focus/fire. Odom was a FANTASTIC number 3/4 for the Kobe/Gasol lakers with Bynum as his up and down equal. But as a straight #2, he was just too inconsistent to be Kobe’s second banana and bring that team anywhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish we were talking about getting rid of Cam Payne, Shamet, Dario, Elfred Payton and Crowder instead of Ayton. But after 4 years maybe departure is the only answer for everyone to be happy. But I may be wrong but I think Ayton will turn out great for someone else.

My hope and my guess is the Suns will re-sign Deandre Ayton to a multi-year deal that will pay him more money than any other team can offer when free agency opens.

This does not not close the door to a future trade but both sides rule out the sign and trade as an option.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Everyone you mentioned other than Payton is under contract next season while Ayton isn't. The return for those guys would be less than Ayton also, even though Ayton is a restricted free agent.

It's not even worth discussing whether Payton will return. If he does, it'd be a huge mistake but I don't believe JJ is that dumb.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone you mentioned other than Payton is under contract next season while Ayton isn't. The return for those guys would be less than Ayton also, even though Ayton is a restricted free agent.

It's not even worth discussing whether Payton will return. If he does, it'd be a huge mistake but I don't believe JJ is that dumb.

I like that Payne's contract is only partially guaranteed for $2 Million 2023-24.

His contract is a bargain even at $6 million this coming season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He might be one of those guys who needed to get spurned at his first stop to light the fire needed to be truly great.

He’s probably that… yeah… I actually think that’s the perfect comp for ability v. Focus/fire. Odom was a FANTASTIC number 3/4 for the Kobe/Gasol lakers with Bynum as his up and down equal. But as a straight #2, he was just too inconsistent to be Kobe’s second banana and bring that team anywhere.

This team needs a legit 1

I think Ayton is way more consistent than Odom had legit mental and drug issues. Him and Beasley are the two biggest waste of talents I’ve seen.

The guy I compare Ayton to is LaMarcus Aldridge he’s a finesse big guy who just is who he is. I think this next season will be Ayton’s most important we have to get him involved more. We can’t run the Chris Paul offense anymore. Booker and Ayton need to run a two man game

I got a bad feeling we’re gonna end up running it back with Paul

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a bad feeling we’re gonna end up running it back with Paul
Well, of course we are. Do you see a reasonable exit from the path we're on?

Paul has more value to us as a player than a trade piece, same as Ayton. Neither is ideal but they are the best we have. Okay, maybe someone will come shopping for CP3 but I think that's unlikely and even more unlikely to return us a PG in his place which leaves us still in a bind.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Andrew Wiggins was the other comp I had in mind. Number one overall picks largely because of athleticism, shows flashes of brilliance on both ends on the floor but does not show the consistent drive/motivation to be a true #1 or even #2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew Wiggins was the other comp I had in mind. Number one overall picks largely because of athleticism, shows flashes of brilliance on both ends on the floor but does not show the consistent drive/motivation to be a true #1 or even #2.
Yeah. That’s a good comp too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If possible (I don't think it is an option) Would you trade Ayton for Wiggins?
God no. Unless we could parlay Bridges and picks into a legit big man. And even then, if there was ever one team that could get the most out of Ayton I.T’s prob the Warriors with their championship pedigree, players and coaches.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was bored so I listened to a podcast from Flex From Jersey. Only listened to half of it. However, if the Suns trade Ayton in a sign and trade for peanuts I'm going to be upset.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was bored so I listened to a podcast from Flex From Jersey. Only listened to half of it. However, if the Suns trade Ayton in a sign and trade for peanuts I'm going to be upset.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Give me the rundown bruh

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me the rundown bruh

I only listened to 30 minutes because I want to sleep tonight.

Flex thinks Ayton has played his last game as a Sun. He again brought up that trade rumor of Ayton to the Spurs in a sign and trade for Jakob Poeltl, Devin Vassell and the 9th pick as an example.

Then the podcast gets into how the Suns could use expiring contracts, a player like Cam Johnson or Mikal Bridges and draft picks to obtain a star like Kevin Durant or Lebron James.

There is a lot more and it delves into a myriad of options.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I only watched 30 minutes because I want to sleep tonight.

Flex thinks Ayton has played his last game as a Sun. He again brought up that trade rumor of Ayton to the Spurs in a sign and trade for Jakob Poeltl, Devin Vassell and the 9th pick as an example.

Then the podcast gets into how the Suns could use expiring contracts, a player like Cam Johnson or Mikal Bridges and draft picks to obtain a star like Kevin Durant or Lebron James. There is a lot more and it explores a myriad of options

I’ll give it a listen but damn an hour of that accent is gonna be rough

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I only listened to 30 minutes because I want to sleep tonight.

Then the podcast gets into how the Suns could use expiring contracts, a player like Cam Johnson or Mikal Bridges and draft picks to obtain a star like Kevin Durant or Lebron James.

There is a lot more and it delves into a myriad of options.
If we could flip the 9th pick and an expiring for ____ then who knows…. I’m not a Vassell guy and would take Poeltl/Keldon over the Vassell/#9 part.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think we all have a fear that he gets traded to a team like the Spurs and they unlock something in his developmwnt and he turns into an Embid type of center. I don't think that is completely impossible because the difference in the player he is now and the player he was his rookie year is night and day.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could flip the 9th pick and an expiring for ____ then who knows…. I’m not a Vassell guy and would take Poeltl/Keldon over the Vassell/#9 part.

It sounded like Poeltl would be going elsewhere as an expiring contract and I'm thinking the Suns will need someone to start at center.

Keldon Johnson would be nice but he will need to be extended.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll give it a listen but damn an hour of that accent is gonna be rough

These scenarios seem based upon the idea a star such as Durant or Lebron saying they want out and asking to play for the Suns.

A lot of these ideas were conjecture.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If we flip Ayton and stuff for KD I will be on cloud 9.

Just keep Mikal and Book. The rest can be on the table.
I would be too.

I like Ayton and I think he isn't being used enough, but KD right now is a more impactful player than Ayton will ever be, even with the most bullish of predictions.

Ayton would have to become Shaq 2.0 for this trade to be a bad one.