Taking a QB at #3: Is it really that far fetched?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yes, it's far fetched to take a QB at 3. First off the QB class isn't that great. None of them really excite me for that high of a pick. Second, with that and the state of the rest of the roaster, it would be better to take the top talent available to start rebuilding. Try to get the team's foundation shored up this year. Then you take a QB next year if Kyler is still looking like the last 1.5 years. The QB class should be better and you're not wasting a year of his rookie contract during the rebuild.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Are you saying you expect Monti to trade down with Anderson or Carter still on the board?
I think he will to try and fill multiple holes. I can see him trying to get two 1’s two 2’s trading back. Him being a first time GM wanting to make a big splash.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Far fetched?? No... Unlikely.

But considering Kylers injury and the liklihood he wont play until December... it wouldnt be a complete stunner.

if it were me and the decision was to hedge my bets... I would take Richardson... Huge Gamble but he clearly has the highest ceiling of any QB in this class.
he has the advantage of having a similar athletic profile to Kyler so they should perform basically the same in a given offense.

start the season with the rook... Kyler comes back when he is healthy unless we are like 10-2 or something.

Hopefully they both develop, then in 2025 we trade one of them for a stack of first round picks

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I don't think we are going to be very good next year. I think we will be in the Caleb Williams race next year. I'm not a big believer in Murray, but I don't think anyone in this class is a can't miss QB. Draft the best defensive player and start stacking talent.
That is exactly what I say as well. If KM sucks we'll be in the running for the top-pick the next couple of years. So this draft is the time to load up on the trenches and a chance at a dominate defensive playuer is right in our grasp. Cant pas on that, if Murray flames out we'll other opportunities to get a QB.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It isn't far fetched but highly unlikely. You have to have an owner, GM and HC all on board with making the move and find a suitable trade partner for a injured player. You can't draft a QB at 3 and keep Kyler.
We’re talking floors and ceilings here.

- Can the new guy dvelop into a QB equal or better than Kyler?

- Sure thing or boom or bust?

- System fit?

If he cuts the mustard, draft. him and include. Kyler in a Kyler trade package. If not, roll the dice on Murray, and opt for a future HOF’er.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We’re talking floors and ceilings here.

- Can the new guy dvelop into a QB equal or better than Kyler?

- Sure thing or boom or bust?

- System fit?

If he cuts the mustard, draft. him and include. Kyler in a Kyler trade package. If not, roll the dice on Murray, and opt for a future HOF’er.
Can he be equal or better? For me, yes. As fast, no. As able to make plays outside of structure, no. Able to be more consistent and more of a leader, yes.

I don't think any of these QBs are "sure things". That said, most of them have close to or more starting experience in college as Kyler did. All but Bryce are significantly larger athletes.

System fit...hopefully we will have a HC by the draft and can make an educated guess about this. lol

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we want our peak to be the Andrew Luck-Colts where it was clear that a great QB was carrying a garbage roster with no chance of being serious championship contenders, sure.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we want our peak to be the Andrew Luck-Colts where it was clear that a great QB was carrying a garbage roster with no chance of being serious championship contenders, sure.
None of the QBs in this draft are anywhere near the prospect of Luck.

Hell, if there was an Andrew Luck in this draft, this would be a legit hypothetical.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again, the Colts failed because their GM was terrible. Joe Burrow was also given a garbage roster and has been fine. Bills top WRs when they drafted Josh Allen were Zay Jones and Robert Foster. Chargers had a garbage offensive line when they drafted Herbert. A lot of these QBs are drafted into awful situations. What the team does after is what matters.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What's more shocking? 3 pages on drafting a QB at #3 or 4 pages on Mike Jurecki being an *****?

The latter has some fuel to it at least for discussion, I don't understand this thread. It's beyond farfetched. It's more likely we trade for Aaron Rodgers, can we get a 3+ page going on that too?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The latter has some fuel to it at least for discussion, I don't understand this thread. It's beyond farfetched. It's more likely we trade for Aaron Rodgers, can we get a 3+ page going on that too?
more far fetched than drafting the position first overall one year after filling the job with a top 10 pick?

Arod would be fun for a year...
but hey, I hear Derek Carr can be had for a 3rd

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
more far fetched than drafting the position first overall one year after filling the job with a top 10 pick?

Arod would be fun for a year...
but hey, I hear Derek Carr can be had for a 3rd

The situations aren't even close to the same. Rosen is and was a 100% bust in every sense of the word and wasn't given a huge contract. Also Carr is a huge cap hit. Like, what? Why would we give draft capital for that?

If we didn't extend Kyler, sure I think it's worth a discussion, but the Kyler contract hamstrings us for at least two years, so we waste that money and waste a QB on a rookie deal (that's not the two top QB's, which are not like some Luck/Manning, etc type QB in the first place.) So we do that for the 3rd best QB which is a reach at best?

No one is trading for Kyler for at least two years either. We are stuck with Murray for better or for worse.

There is an elite defensive player on the board or a trade down to try and get a few pieces down. Mayybe we might draft a QB next year if we get a really high pick, maybe. This year, no.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, the Colts failed because their GM was terrible. Joe Burrow was also given a garbage roster and has been fine. Bills top WRs when they drafted Josh Allen were Zay Jones and Robert Foster. Chargers had a garbage offensive line when they drafted Herbert. A lot of these QBs are drafted into awful situations. What the team does after is what matters.
Burrow is only valid point you listed here. You only listed certain specific groups about the others because you know they weren’t that far off.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Burrow is only valid point you listed here. You only certain specific groups about the others because you know they weren’t that far off.
Was Jacksonville a good situation for Trevor Lawrence? Justin Fields...terrible situation. Daniel Jones...terrible situation. What situations are you saying I am omitting?

Maybe your argument is that Herbert had a garbage offensive line but a good roster? He inherited a roster with weapons that Phillip Rivers was only able to win 5 games. Both lines were bad and they had weapons at WR, RB, TE. What roster does that sound like? The difference is the Chargers still had Bosa and Ingram.

If you mean the Chiefs and Texans trading up to take QBs, that is an exception. I accidently included Buffalo who actually took Allen with a pick from the Bucs. Lamar Jackson was taken 32nd.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I guess if your argument that you should never draft a QB when your record drops you in the top 10, I think stats would support that. You are better served waiting until you have a mid roster and draft one later or trade up to get one. (The more I read your post I think I misunderstood it)

Since 2012 examples of drafting in the top 10 with a top 10 record.
Andrew Luck
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence

Examples of adding a QB later or trading up in the draft
Russell Wilson
Derek Carr
Dak Prescott
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Jalen Hurts

and then there is the trade for group with Tannahill, Cousins, and Garoppolo.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we can manage to bring Kyler into the discussion like most of them. Absolutely.

Besides, why do you really care how big a thread gets?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank God the Suns traded for KD. I don’t know how you guys keep going around in circles here… for months on end.

That’s not to say you shouldn’t! I’m just beyond stoked I finally have something POSITIVE to talk about with Phoenix sports.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank God the Suns traded for KD. I don’t know how you guys keep going around in circles here… for months on end.

That’s not to say you shouldn’t! I’m just beyond stoked I finally have something POSITIVE to talk about with Phoenix sports.
I really hope it works out for the Suns. I can't think of a franchise in all of the big 4 sports that deserves a championship more.

And we are Cards fans, so we can't help ourselves.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score

This is the Suns we’re taking about. I wouldn’t be surprised if an alien invasion kept KD from ever seeing the floor.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I remember how excited i was when we got charles barkley....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose