Tagging your new posts

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

One thing that's going to roll out this week is a reminder for tagging posts when you submit a new thread.

"Tags" on threads help in search engines. A lot of our traffic comes from search engines as well as you all, so these tags help us appear even higher in search engines.

If you enter a few of them initially, then you wont get the reminder. However, if you don't enter ANY, you'll get a page asking if you are sure you want to submit it without tags.

I ask that you guys try to use the tags if and when you can, plus try not to abuse it. Anyone caught abusing the tagging function will be up for taking a break :)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Keebali has put in this feature on a couple of their other sites and it's been a big success, so let's try to make it work here.

Thanks!

Mike

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I gotta ask a stupid question Mike. Do you tag all your posts or just the threads you start?

Also, what do you mean when you say "tag your posts".

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I gotta ask a stupid question Mike. Do you tag all your posts or just the threads you start?

Also, what do you mean when you say "tag your posts".

I think I should have said "tag your new threads" instead of posts, because just the person starting the thread really has to put in tags.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Mike, when you say "Tag your new threads" do you mean tagging key words in the posting so that you can recall it using a search engine? For example, we write about the Cards winning the Superbowl so the keywords would be Cards, winning Superbowl. :)

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike, when you say "Tag your new threads" do you mean tagging key words in the posting so that you can recall it using a search engine? For example, we write about the Cards winning the Superbowl so the keywords would be Cards, winning Superbowl. :)

Yeah, something like that ;)

tags might be: arizona cardinals, superbowl

:shrug:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I discovered this by accident earlier starting a thread. It seems to offer you options to bypass tagging but when you try it and click to submit, the popup comes up again.

So I wound up just tagging the thread.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad I read this and will start doing it. Are the tags case sensitive to the search engines?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I should have said "tag your new threads" instead of posts, because just the person starting the thread really has to put in tags.

Gotcha. That pop-up when you start a new thread really makes it easy and helps you to remember to do it. Great idea.