Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear something about Saban Lee.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear something about Saban Lee.

If they don’t it must mean they’re expecting Payne back relatively soon. Frankly I’m shocked he’s been out so long.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they don’t it must mean they’re expecting Payne back relatively soon. Frankly I’m shocked he’s been out so long.

The Suns can't rely on Payne to stay healthy, or Paul for that matter. They need a third point guard who can play. I think Saban Lee can play some now, but I think he has a brighter future.

I'm hoping the Suns find a way to keep him. I guess they could release him and hope to sign him after doing a trade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne is due for a second medical re-evaluation today of a reported sprained right foot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saban Lee is no longer under contract with the Suns.

I hope the Suns have extended the possibility he could return to the team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns can't rely on Payne to stay healthy, or Paul for that matter. They need a third point guard who can play. I think Saban Lee can play some now, but I think he has a brighter future.

I'm hoping the Suns find a way to keep him. I guess they could release him and hope to sign him after doing a trade.

Realistically nobody in the NBA who’s worth anything is counting on the 3rd string PG.

If you can’t depend on your 1 or 2 that’s the real issue

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of talk that Cam Johnson might be available because they might now want to pay him

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realistically nobody in the NBA who’s worth anything is counting on the 3rd string PG.

So if Cam Payne doesn't return soon, the Suns will be even more dependent on Chris Paul.

The Suns have needed a third point guard Monty could depend upon the last two playoffs. Injuries happen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I don’t think they’ll have the luxury of keeping four points. If Paul and Payne are healthy I think they like Washington enough to be a developmental third point for them. Squeezes Saban out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True but that's the position we're in. When they are fully healthy we have perhaps the best PG rotation in the game. But they are rarely fully healthy. And for right now, we're stuck with them. As CP3 plays out his contract we need to start thinking of Payne as our 3rd PG and bring in a quality starter and a solid backup at that spot. Use CamP as the 3rd string at both guard positions.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they’ll have the luxury of keeping four points. If Paul and Payne are healthy I think they like Washington enough to be a developmental third point for them. Squeezes Saban out.

Washington is on a two-way contract, so the Suns can afford to wait on him. I think Saban Lee is more ready to play now.

I'm hoping the Suns bring him back on the regular roster if they do not add another distributor in a trade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ironically, as far as Washington is concerned, I imagine there aren't many more games left on his eligibility since he's a 2-way player. So counting on him to be a consistent third string PG is probably not the way to go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As near as I can determine, Duane Washington Jr. has played in 31 games. Two-way players are eligible to be active in 50 games.

The Suns will have to make a decision about him as well. Also, the same with Ish Wainright.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironically, as far as Washington is concerned, I imagine there aren't many more games left on his eligibility since he's a 2-way player. So counting on him to be a consistent third string PG is probably not the way to go.
Monty won't use him come playoff time anyway or any other PG for that matter if he has CP3 and Payne. The rest of those minutes will go to Book.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As near as I can determine, Duane Washington Jr. has played in 31 games. Two-way players are eligible to be active in 50 games.

The Suns will have to make a decision about him as well. Also, the same with Ish Wainright.

Playing and being active are different. If he's in the active roster for games that counts towards the 50 games he's eligible for so DNP's will effect his total. At least it was that way when Two-Way contracts were started. They've made a number of changes to them, from days up to games active but I'm pretty sure if he's dressed and active that counts whether he sees the floor or not.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure how many games Washington was active. I only counted the games he played in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose