Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love that we're showing a willingness to go all out.

Also... if we trade our 1st round pick we better have lotto protection on it.
I feel good knowing that the new owner played and loves basketball. Lets see what he's got.
I'm Pumped

Sounds like he's already Ingraciated himself with the NBA higherups and owners and is well thought of.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may sound strange, but I think this Suns group has actually had better injury luck than some previous Suns groups. Yes, I'm serious.

How? Because except for Cameron Johnson, whose meniscus tear could possibly harm his ability permanently, none of the players' injuries seem very serious. Whereas Nash's group's injuries had both seriousness--Amare's Stoudemire's career-degrading injuries that ruined Suns seasons; and those Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas injuries that prevented the Suns from beating the Mavericks in '06. (Come on, the Suns would probably have won otherwise.) And the timing and severity of injuries on Charles Barkley's teams: Barkley being hurt at the end of the 1994 Rockets series; and of course Danny Manning's disastrous ACL tear (which even happened again later! although Barkley was gone by then).

The point is that nobody on this team is blowing out an ACL, having microfracture surgery, or...ehh, tearing the retina in an eye. These players' injuries are more like the annoying minor injuries that were always happening to Kevin Johnson.
I get your point regarding timing and severity but don't forget that one of those "annoying minor injuries" you mentioned pretty much ruined KJ's career. Hopefully, Booker, with a similar injury, won't be dealing with it for the rest of his career like Kevin was.

Never before have we faced such a rash of injuries, the timing impact and severity have yet to be determined but at least there's the chance they won't destroy the season and our immediate future.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get your point regarding timing and severity but don't forget that one of those "annoying minor injuries" you mentioned pretty much ruined KJ's career. Hopefully, Booker, with a similar injury, won't be dealing with it for the rest of his career like Kevin was.

Never before have we faced such a rash of injuries, the timing impact and severity have yet to be determined but at least there's the chance they won't destroy the season and our immediate future.

Booker needs to get back with the Kardashian. His groin held up better then. Whatever they were doing worked.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This may sound strange, but I think this Suns group has actually had better injury luck than some previous Suns groups. Yes, I'm serious.

How? Because except for Cameron Johnson, whose meniscus tear could possibly harm his ability permanently, none of the players' injuries seem very serious. Whereas Nash's group's injuries had both seriousness--Amare's Stoudemire's career-degrading injuries that ruined Suns seasons; and those Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas injuries that prevented the Suns from beating the Mavericks in '06. (Come on, the Suns would probably have won otherwise.) And the timing and severity of injuries on Charles Barkley's teams: Barkley being hurt at the end of the 1994 Rockets series; and of course Danny Manning's disastrous ACL tear (which even happened again later! although Barkley was gone by then). And Cedric Ceballos missing the 1993 Finals, even though I concede that he wouldn't have made much difference in the Finals had he been there.

The point is that nobody on this team is blowing out an ACL, having microfracture surgery, or...ehh, tearing the retina in an eye. These players' injuries are more like the annoying minor injuries that were always happening to Kevin Johnson.

I ignore the players' absences in 2020 and 2021, for two reasons: a lot of the time they were sick with CV, not injured. Even the suspected Chris Paul injury or illness last playoffs (which was never officially admitted or proven) is suspected to have been CV again, not an injury.

How? Because except for Cameron Johnson, whose meniscus tear could possibly harm his ability permanently, none of the players' injuries seem very serious. Whereas Nash's group's injuries had both seriousness--Amare's Stoudemire's career-degrading injuries that ruined Suns seasons; and those Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas injuries that prevented the Suns from beating the Mavericks in '06. (Come on, the Suns would probably have won otherwise.) And the timing and severity of injuries on Charles Barkley's teams: Barkley being hurt at the end of the 1994 Rockets series; and of course Danny Manning's disastrous ACL tear (which even happened again later! although Barkley was gone by then). And Cedric Ceballos missing the 1993 Finals, even though I concede that he wouldn't have made much difference in the Finals had he been there.

I ignore the players' absences in 2020 and 2021, for two reasons: a lot of the time they were sick with CV, not injured. Even the suspected Chris Paul injury or illness last playoffs (which was never officially admitted or proven) is suspected to have been CV again, not an injury.
Raja’s calf strain was a massive injury. Down Raja & Kurt with an already thin rotation was killer. The Suns run Miami off the court in the finals despite Dwayne Wade and Bennett Salvatore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raja’s calf strain was a massive injury. Down Raja & Kurt with an already thin rotation was killer. The Suns run Miami off the court in the finals despite Dwayne Wade and Bennett Salvatore.
Agreed. But there's another one that haunts me.

Danny Manning going down the last week of the season followed by Rex injuring his hand killed us in 97/98. Danny had come on late in the season and though coming off the bench was almost back to his pre-injury days.

It's a forgotten season when Suns fans lament what could have been but I really liked that group and thought they had one of their best chances ever to win it all.

We struggled early in the year but won 11 of our last 12. It was our deepest team ever IMO (KJ, Kidd, Steve Nash, George McCloud, Dice, Hot Rod, Mark Bryant, Rex Chapman, Dennis Scott, Cliffy and Danny Manning) and played both ends of the court. But the timing of those two injuries plus the bad luck to draw the Spurs knocked us out in the first round.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Danny Manning going down the last week of the season followed by Rex injuring his hand killed us in 97/98. Danny had come on late in the season and though coming off the bench was almost back to his pre-injury days.

It's a forgotten season when Suns fans lament what could have been but I really liked that group and thought they had one of their best chances ever to win it all.

We struggled early in the year but won 11 of our last 12. It was our deepest team ever IMO (KJ, Kidd, Steve Nash, George McCloud, Dice, Hot Rod, Mark Bryant, Rex Chapman, Dennis Scott, Cliffy and Danny Manning) and played both ends of the court. But the timing of those two injuries plus the bad luck to draw the Spurs knocked us out in the first round.
Fluke injuries impact titles and legacies. Sports are the best but that part sucks.

I don’t think Golden St gets past Memphis without Ja missing time or Boston past Milwaukee without Middleton hurt last year. It is what it is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was a really good, deep team, but it didn’t have a closer and I think that would have been the ultimate difference between us and the Bulls/Lakers and possibly even the Jazz who just had experience in spades over us.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Quantity for quality. How many picks?
You must be registered for see images attach

Starters:
CP3
Book
Mikal
Cam
Siakam
-
Bench:
VanVleet
Lee/Okogie
Craig/Porter
Biz/Jock

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With a few wins the suns jump to 7th from 12th. Shows how tight the western conference is.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

Starters:
CP3
Book
Mikal
Cam
Siakam
-
Bench:
VanVleet
Lee/Okogie
Craig/Porter
Biz/Jock
was there any way to add precious on the raps side and take out otto?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Starters:
CP3
Book
Mikal
Cam
Siakam
-
Bench:
VanVleet
Lee/Okogie
Craig/Porter
Biz/Jock

How many picks are you sending

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Starters:
CP3
Book
Mikal
Cam
Siakam
-
Bench:
VanVleet
Lee/Okogie
Craig/Porter
Biz/Jock

Health permitting, that would be an unreal team, and I've said for months that Toronto looks like the most likely to blow it up.

Teams giving up their max pick haul, 4 1sts and a bunch of swaps have basically lost those trades everytime but... that would be too hard to pass up. But... sadly, the Raptors can probably do better moving those parts separately. We'd have to hope they view Ayton as an All-NBA player who is in the wrong situation.

Cripes... I wish that could go down, I don't think there is much of a chance it would, but man, that team would be electric. It probably wouldn't win it all this year, just too much turnover, but it would be a heavy favorite for the next several seasons, especially if we could flip Chris Paul's option heavy contract for more assets.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Starters:
CP3
Book
Mikal
Cam
Siakam
-
Bench:
VanVleet
Lee/Okogie
Craig/Porter
Biz/Jock
Sure, but why in the world would Toronto do that?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fred Van Fleet… this team really puts zero value on premium athletes. To it’s detriment, IMO.
It's called going after something that is realistically available.

If you want premium athletes, you typically need to draft them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fred Van Fleet… this team really puts zero value on premium athletes. To it’s detriment, IMO.
The Suns seems like they want to reload verses rebuild again. There is likely no available player out there minus a big trade to replace CP3. Van Fleet and Rozier can distribute the ball and can score. I don't like Quickly at all. Unless someone falls into our lap? Replacing CP3 might be a pipe dream.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose