Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's time for Monty to shake things up. I think it's time to sit some of his go to guys, play the end of the bench and at least see what he has. Monty is loyal to guys to a fault. Shamet shouldn't get off the bench again. Williams, Okogie need at least a 10 game stretch of regular heavy playing time. Worst case scenario, you see what you have in these guys for a playoff run assuming we make it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Period of adjustment is when he hits 30 years old. They seriously need to cut his minutes and let Lee light it up. no reason Mikal can't just play 25 minutes instead of 35.
I'm okay with cutting his minutes, even down to 25 or so but not for any reason other than he simply isn't producing. Right now, at best, he's an average overall player. Slightly better than average on defense, slightly worse on offense. Prior to the past 5 weeks, Mikal had been an elite defender and a better than average offensive player (decent production with high efficiency).

But I suspect cutting his minutes to 25 per won't help all that much. Other than injuring his knee in the first Houston loss (reported at the time as a hyperextension) I've heard nothing to suggest he's injured but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. And if a nagging injury or two are dragging him down, he needs to sit until he's healthy rather than prolong whatever problem(s) he has.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns are averaging 20 points in the first quarter over the last 8 games by far the worst in the NBA

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Laughing at anyone thinking Monty will do anything different, ever. His rotations and minutes aren't going to change one iota, even if the team lost 20 in a row.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Laughing at the people who think they know how to coach better than Monty. The guy who has won multiple coach of the year awards since he's been the Suns head coach.

Is he perfect? Absolutely not. He doesn't have a lot options right now though with roughly 5 guys out for various ailments and he's stuck relying on last years second unit to carry this team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Laughing at the people who think they know how to coach better than Monty. The guy who has won multiple coach of the year awards since he's been the Suns head coach.

Is he perfect? Absolutely not. He doesn't have a lot options right now though with roughly 5 guys out for various ailments and he's stuck relying on last years second unit to carry this team.

So even with a short handed roster, don’t play okogie now? Yeah

Cmon he even has trouble calling a timely timeout.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So even with a short handed roster, don’t play okogie now? Yeah

Cmon he even has trouble calling a timely timeout.
His philosophy of when to call a timeout sucks IMO but he's not the only coach that believes it's better to let the players right the ship.

As for Okogie, I think he's hit or miss with his hip injury. No doubt, his game is weak in some areas. But his effort and his defensive intensity can change momentum and can help even a fully manned team so I really doubt Monty is just ignoring him while we're so shorthanded.

I wish this team, this organization, these players, were more forthcoming with injuries. But they're not, they keep everything as secret as possible and only release the things they are required to list (injured list, surgeries etc).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love these guys who are like oh Monty the coach of the year lol

Yeah pretty easy to coach when Booker and Paul bail you out now that they aren’t there and you actually have to coach he’s being exposed badly

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it's time for Monty to shake things up. I think it's time to sit some of his go to guys, play the end of the bench and at least see what he has. Monty is loyal to guys to a fault. Shamet shouldn't get off the bench again. Williams, Okogie need at least a 10 game stretch of regular heavy playing time. Worst case scenario, you see what you have in these guys for a playoff run assuming we make it.
I think it's time to shake Monte up. Coaches need to improve as well and he needs lots of it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's time to shake Monte up. Coaches need to improve as well and he needs lots of it.
Although I don't believe his COY awards necessarily means he's great and untouchable, I think firing him right now is probably a bad look for the organization. I don't think this is all his fault but if the FO wants a change it would probably be better to make it appear to be a part of the regime change when ownership control passes to Ishbia.

But speaking of coaches...If we're not trading Ayton, maybe we should take advantage of Georgetown's Big East record setting losing streak and see if Ewing is interested in coaching up our big guy when the axe falls there.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Something broke HARD last year in the playoffs. To think we could just basically run it back, minus a couple glue guys plus some guys on the edges of the rotation just made absolutely zero sense.
its basically guys who got us there, but now it’s the same guys who have made the disfunction continue it seems.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You’re right. None of us has watched enough basketball to know better than to allow the opposition to go on a 13-0 and 18-0 runs IN THE SAME HALF without calling a timeout. Or to maybe design a last play to go to someone other than the guy shooting 3-14 for the game. Awards mean everything.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Although I don't believe his COY awards necessarily means he's great and untouchable, I think firing him right now is probably a bad look for the organization. I don't think this is all his fault but if the FO wants a change it would probably be better to make it appear to be a part of the regime change when ownership control passes to Ishbia.

But speaking of coaches...If we're not trading Ayton, maybe we should take advantage of Georgetown's Big East record setting losing streak and see if Ewing is interested in coaching up our big guy when the axe falls there.
As a Hoya I want no part of Ewing touching the suns in any way shape or form.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love these guys who are like oh Monty the coach of the year lol

Yeah pretty easy to coach when Booker and Paul bail you out now that they aren’t there and you actually have to coach he’s being exposed badly

So now Paul has bailed Monty out continuously and made him look good? I thought he was washed up and it was a mistake to keep him past his initial contract? Stick to a narrative, please.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re right. None of us has watched enough basketball to know better than to allow the opposition to go on a 13-0 and 18-0 runs IN THE SAME HALF without calling a timeout. Or to maybe design a last play to go to someone other than the guy shooting 3-14 for the game. Awards mean everything.

So Monty hasn't watched enough basketball? I don't think watching basketball qualifies you as a coach, especially at the NBA level.

He's not perfect, no one says he is. He has flaws but not playing scrubs that most of the board were pissed we signed in the first place doesn't mean he needs to be fired.

Monty knows far more information about the end of the bench players than this entire board put together and he knows why he's not playing them more than he does. Someone like Okogie isn't going to turn this teams fortunes around while we're down 3 starters. I consider it 3 because Mikal and CP3 are each playing at half their ability at this point.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something broke HARD last year in the playoffs. To think we could just basically run it back, minus a couple glue guys plus some guys on the edges of the rotation just made absolutely zero sense.

I agree with almost all of this but I think it broke earlier. Something happened before the playoffs when the team went into a skid for the final month of the season. There was no hiding it in the playoffs anymore. What it was, who knows. It was more than Covid as has been theorized.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So Monty hasn't watched enough basketball? I don't think watching basketball qualifies you as a coach, especially at the NBA level.

He's not perfect, no one says he is. He has flaws but not playing scrubs that most of the board were pissed we signed in the first place doesn't mean he needs to be fired.

Monty knows far more information about the end of the bench players than this entire board put together and he knows why he's not playing them more than he does. Someone like Okogie isn't going to turn this teams fortunes around while we're down 3 starters. I consider it 3 because Mikal and CP3 are each playing at half their ability at this point.
That’s just it, Paul is likely playing at his current ability, not half. All players get old. And bridges is bridges. This is what he is when he doesn’t have legit #1 and #2 to support.

By your logic none of us should be critical of any coach because we aren’t coaches and none of us should be critical of any player because none of us are players and none of us should be critical of any gm because none of us are gms. I always laugh when I see posters criticize other posters for using a sports talk board . . . for its intended purpose.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s just it, Paul is likely playing at his current ability, not half. All players get old. And bridges is bridges. This is what he is when he doesn’t have legit #1 and #2 to support.

By your logic none of us should be critical of any coach because we aren’t coaches and none of us should be critical of any player because none of us are players and none of us should be critical of any gm because none of us are gms. I always laugh when I see posters criticize other posters for using a sports talk board . . . for its intended purpose.

Criticizing Monty is fine but some go overboard with it. Apparently I can't defend Monty though and know how a sports message board works though. It's not solely for criticism. It's also for those of us who thinks Monty is doing the best he can with what he has. We don't need to agree but we also don't need to attack each other on a personal level because we view things differently.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am to the point, either we add a very good piece to the mix of guys we have now, or we blow this **** up from Booker on down. I am in limbo on this team until the ownership change goes through and we get the vision of where we are going. For now, as fans, and for the players, it feels like this is just a holding pattern, and everyone is waiting to see where the plane lands!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So now Paul has bailed Monty out continuously and made him look good? I thought he was washed up and it was a mistake to keep him past his initial contract? Stick to a narrative, please.

How is this lost on you?

Paul playing at the most insane clutch rate ever obviously bailed him out in the past now that it’s not there Monty is just left looking stupid