Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I must say it appears the problem of arrogance that substantially caused the 2022 playoff humiliation has been largely corrected. The team isn't displaying arrogance. Nor is it behaving as though it's very important to win as many regular-season games as possible. That would be shown if it unnecessarily let Chris Paul play at less than one hundred percent.

And I'm seeing what I thought the team needed: lots of adversity but not too much (such as if the injured players were expected to miss the entire season).
This summer was the transition point from this being Chris Paul's team, to becoming Devin Booker's team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones is promoted to President of Basketball Operations and General Manager.

I'm guessing this should include an increase in pay.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones is promoted to President of Basketball Operations and General Manager.

I'm guessing this should include an increase in pay.

Ha. You know how these things go. Increased responsibilities and title, but no increase in pay.

So, he is the functional replacement for Sarver right now. Makes sense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha. You know how these things go. Increased responsibilities and title, but no increase in pay.

So, he is the functional replacement for Sarver right now. Makes sense.

We may never know if it carries an increase in pay but the word "promote" implies it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is totally a rerun of the 2007-2008 Suns season and I totally expect us to make a trade that doesn’t help us win a title in the present and just kinda screws with the team going into the future.

Hell, even this past off-season was like the 2007 off-season where we came off a season that was our best shot to win a title that got derailed by Horry and all those rumors swirled that we were gonna get KG and then didn’t… much like last season appearing to be our best shot ever, boofing it up and then rumors swirling about KD and not getting him.

Yeah I’m getting the same vibes. We’re still good but I think it’s fools gold now. I don’t think we’re a serious contender anymore with Paul clearly falling off and not making a big move

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m getting the same vibes. We’re still good but I think it’s fools gold now. I don’t think we’re a serious contender anymore with Paul clearly falling off and not making a big move

Everyone wants a big move but I think the Suns needs remain the same. Fortify the shooter/playmaker position and add a rotation power forward.

Suns can't count on Shamet and Washington to fill the first need. The Suns need to add a pure shooter.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We only need one thing now. I'm happy and more and more at ease with Cam Payne as a backup PG. Obv if we could pull a Hailiburton we should explore that but, not likely.
Find me a PF that can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim, when he's not shooting 45/50% from 3 and ill be a happy boy.
It's not Rocket Surgery
Make it happen.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you think is with Jock Landale not playing lately? As far as I know, he's not injured.
Biz is a better rim defender, and Monty tends to give stretches of time to every player on the bench during the season.

Landale will get the majority of the minutes again soon enough - he is the better player overall.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone wants a big move but I think the Suns needs remain the same. Fortify the shooter/playmaker position and add a rotation power forward.

Suns can't count on Shamet and Washington to fill the first need. The Suns need to add a pure shooter.

You wanna win a championship or 56 games and go to the second round?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You wanna win a championship or 56 games and go to the second round?
I don't know that I think this is a fair thing to say.

Basically a very similar team went to the finals 2 years ago. Yes we came up short - but barely. If Middelton and Holiday had not gotten uncharacteristically hot I believe we win that series despite not having a good answer for Giannis. I think in many ways this team is better - Booker is better, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Ayton are better. Right now it even feels like our bench is better. Yes CP3 is worse, and we don't have Crowder - but overall I think it is a near wash.

I think a lot simply depends on matchups and luck.

I think the current Suns team is capable of beating anyone. Would they be the favorite, perhaps not, but I don't think we are far away at all. I feel one good trade can put us over the top, and I fully expect it to happen by the deadline, because Jones knows it too, and we have draft picks to use that he does not care about.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Basically a very similar team went to the finals 2 years ago. Yes we came up short - but barely. If Middelton and Holiday had not gotten uncharacteristically hot I believe we win that series despite not having a good answer for Giannis. I think in many ways this team is better - Booker is better, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Ayton are better. Right now it even feels like our bench is better. Yes CP3 is worse, and we don't have Crowder - but overall I think it is a near wash.

I think the current Suns team is capable of beating anyone. Would they be the favorite, perhaps not, but I don't think we are far away at all. I feel one good trade can put us over the top, and I fully expect it to happen by the deadline, because Jones knows it too, and we have draft picks to use that he does not care about.
If this team is fully healthy then yeah, I don't think we're too far away from being a true threat to win it all. Add a decent role player, say a Portis type, and it could happen.

But after the last two postseasons where health took us down at the worst time, I hold little hope that come playoff time we can keep CP3 at top form and I'm not too sure about Booker, CP3 and CamJ either. So that brings us to adding a difference maker, someone like an SGA. And unfortunately, I don't see any way to make it happen without including impact players such as Bridges which is a killer for us IMO.

So, I'm left with crossing my fingers for a minor midseason acquisition and great health at the right time of the year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not similar at all.

Chris Paul looks like he’s dramatically declined and you can’t underestimate how huge that is.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
If this team is fully healthy then yeah, I don't think we're too far away from being a true threat to win it all. Add a decent role player, say a Portis type, and it could happen.

But after the last two postseasons where health took us down at the worst time, I hold little hope that come playoff time we can keep CP3 at top form and I'm not too sure about Booker, CP3 and CamJ either. So that brings us to adding a difference maker, someone like an SGA. And unfortunately, I don't see any way to make it happen without including impact players such as Bridges which is a killer for us IMO.

So, I'm left with crossing my fingers for a minor midseason acquisition and great health at the right time of the year.
We need another Gar Heard. :p

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A Bobby Portis type player would have done wonders for the Suns the previous two seasons, plus a point guard or combo guard who can distribute the ball and shoot.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh he's always "believed", hence the moronic tattoo on his back. The last few games have been ok for a 140 mil player but he's gonna need to play like this for the rest of the season with no hiccups for me to believe. I've always been a big DA supporter but Its time to put up or shut up. Talk is cheap.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh he's always "believed", hence the moronic tattoo on his back. The last few games have been ok for a 140 mil player but he's gonna need to play like this for the rest of the season with no hiccups for me to believe. I've always been a big DA supporter but Its time to put up or shut up. Talk is cheap.

There is belief and there is BELIEF!

Like in "Indian Jones and the Last Crusade"... Indy didn't believe for **** when he took the "leap of faith", he was certain he would die when he took that step... he merely had no other choice, but when that idiot Elsa started to cross the seal that the Knight warned them about, while holding the grail... Indy BELIEVED by then... he'd just watched his dad cured of a mortal wound and a Nazi turn into dust.

Hopefully Patrick Beverly was that Nazi and the shove was that mortal wound.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose