Ayton and murray get big extensions

Both have humiliating playoffs last year

Both devastated by injuries this year

Suns get rid of sarver and cards get rid of kliff/keim in same year

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re 100% right on both counts. The fact we didn’t become an inside out offense with neither book nor Paul available is just coaching malpractice.
This behavior isn't new either. We have seen Monty's stubbornness manifest itself in multiple ways. Guys getting off the bench even though guys in front of them are playing bad for long stretches, lack of adjustments in game and now this.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I'm not for tanking but I think any trade needs to be with an eye for this year and next. I wouldn't give up too much for a rental player for this season and I would want to keep as much assets as possible to make the big trade to replace Chris Paul.I think he has some sort of option for next year so his salary shouldn't be a huge hit and we should be able to add another premium player.

if Toronto is listening to offers for Siakim, give them ayton and cam or ayton and bridges

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eerie how the suns and cards have mirrored each other:

Same year get #1 pick

With #1 suns finally get center and cards finally get QB

Said center and QB are good but leave a lot to be desired

Both have great regular seasons last year

The resemblance is uncanny, except the Suns have had more recent success.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really believe ownership has nothing to do with no moves being made.

James Jones has said as much, and I really don't think he would be one to lie about it. He is just very picky about what trades he is willing to make - which I actually appreciate.
James Jones has said that the ownership situation has not had a hinderance on him making trades. I have to believe it's true. James might not tell everyone everything, but I have yet to see him flat out lie so I believe it. Hence....I place most of the blame on James Jones at this point not making the needed moves the last two seasons.

We know the Suns have been restricted in regard to taking on players in trade who earn more than the average NBA contract.

There may have been a lot more influences going on behind the scene that we do not know about.

We do not know who knew what and when other than what has been reported in the media.

I'm not defending James Jones, far from it, but I don't think we have an accurate picture of the situation either.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We know the Suns have been restricted in regard to taking on players in trade who earn more than the average NBA contract.

There may have been a lot more influences going on behind the scene that we do not know about.

We do not know who knew what and when other than what has been reported in the media.

I'm not defending James Jones, far from it, but I don't think we have an accurate picture of the situation either.
Not according to James Jones. They flat out asked him on the radio if taking on more salary would prevent him from making a trade because of ownership situation and he said no. He said they have not placed any restrictions on him. So, unless he is lying, I believe him. If that is true, this is all on James Jones. You could be right, but I have no reason not to believe JJ.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eerie how the suns and cards have mirrored each other:

Same year get #1 pick

With #1 suns finally get center and cards finally get QB

Said center and QB are good but leave a lot to be desired

Both have great regular seasons last year

Cardinals need to get rid of Bidwill. As long as that name is attached that team will never be a serious winner.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not for tanking but I think any trade needs to be with an eye for this year and next. I wouldn't give up too much for a rental player for this season and I would want to keep as much assets as possible to make the big trade to replace Chris Paul.I think he has some sort of option for next year so his salary shouldn't be a huge hit and we should be able to add another premium player.

if Toronto is listening to offers for Siakim, give them ayton and cam or ayton and bridges

Wait, so the first part talks about Cp3 then you talk Ayton/Cam or Ayton/Bridges.

So you want to move CP3, Ayton, and either Cam/Bridges?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Wait, so the first part talks about Cp3 then you talk Ayton/Cam or Ayton/Bridges.

So you want to move CP3, Ayton, and either Cam/Bridges?

I don't know if CP3 is going to bring anything back in a trade. I'm saying that CP3 is one of the highest paid players on the team and the Suns need to focus on bringing in a player who will fill the void that CP3 is going to leave as early as 2023-2024 or the following year.

I don't want to move ayton and bridges/cam. I want to get Siakim or a player of that caliber and I think it would take a lot to get him.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So after that game last night, I think I might be ready to say it's time to tank.

This team even when healthy is not going to win it all with just Book as our offensive catalyst, we need at least one other guy and at this point I don't think we are going to get such a person. I thought that person could be Ayton, but it isn't going to happen this year, and maybe it never will.

Even a 2% chance at Wembenyama is probably better than sneaking into the play in. It's pretty depressing, but it is what it is.
Its crazy how this team had hope only two weeks ago or three when ever Book went down. Now I'm in the tank

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns finally signed Saben Lee.

The could have easily brought in Nader or Gallo to fill in like two weeks ago. Took them this long to get someone in.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was low on Craig coming into the season but he deserves credit for working on his game. He’s improved as a 3pt-shooter and developed into a great rebounder for his position. When Cam comes back I’m starting to feel okay with him being the first wing off the bench. I wish Okogie was a Bowen/Tucker corner-3 threat cause his defense is absurd.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was low on Craig coming into the season but he deserves credit for working on his game. He’s improved as a 3pt-shooter and developed into a great rebounder for his position. When Cam comes back I’m starting to feel okay with him being the first wing off the bench. I wish Okogie was a Bowen/Tucker corner-3 threat cause his defense is absurd.
Plus, this team is weak on physicality. Okogie and Craig are the two supplying that right now, with dashes of Bismack thrown in!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree. Craig has been a surprise as a starter. I like him better than Crowder.

The Suns need a 4/5 that can help spread any deficiencies the Suns have at the FC position. Craig and Cam Johnson are not traditional power forwards. On some nights, the Suns get beat up inside. They need more size at power forward to help Ayton when needed.

I'd still like to see the Suns have a dependable shooter/playmaker to add to their arsenal.

I'm pleased with Okogie. Too bad he is not a better shooter but he is a money type player. Have to hope that is enough.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This guys doesn't even know what he'd talking about

Umm... Haven't a lot of us been speculating the same thing? I don't see the need to bash Shaq for doing the same. Yes, there are injuries here and that's mentioned but there's also issues we don't know about. Why else would Crowder hold out like he has? Why else did the team fall apart against Dallas? I can go on but I shouldn't have to. Just because someone people don't generally care for like Shaq comes out and states the obvious doesn't mean we should bury our heads in the sand and pretend things are perfect when they're not.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm... Haven't a lot of us been speculating the same thing? I don't see the need to bash Shaq for doing the same. Yes, there are injuries here and that's mentioned but there's also issues we don't know about. Why else would Crowder hold out like he has? Why else did the team fall apart against Dallas? I can go on but I shouldn't have to. Just because someone people don't generally care for like Shaq comes out and states the obvious doesn't mean we should bury our heads in the sand and pretend things are perfect when they're not.
I have no idea but when you're regularly missing between 4 and 7 of your top 8 players, it's tough to win games and nothing builds chemistry like winning.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no idea but when you're regularly missing between 4 and 7 of your top 8 players, it's tough to win games and nothing builds chemistry like winning.

Normally I agree that winning cures all but last season sort of disproves that as winning made this team complacent and lazy headed into the postseason where they had their ass handed to them by Dallas. There's definitely some issues here. Maybe getting healthy in a month and going on a run will solve some problems but I don't see this team as constructed making it to the finals or winning a title even if they're healthy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally I agree that winning cures all but last season sort of disproves that as winning made this team complacent and lazy headed into the postseason where they had their ass handed to them by Dallas. There's definitely some issues here. Maybe getting healthy in a month and going on a run will solve some problems but I don't see this team as constructed making it to the finals or winning a title even if they're healthy.
I don't either but that's primarily because CP3 is often a non-factor if not an outirght negative and we need him to be Booker's costar, not his anchor.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't either but that's primarily because CP3 is often a non-factor if not an outirght negative and we need him to be Booker's costar, not his anchor.

I think we can contend if Ayton, Bridges, or CP3 would step up and be the Robin to Booker's Batman but CP3 is Alfred and Ayton and Bridges seem to max out being members of Gotham PD.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson