Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns currently have an exclusive negotiating window, though, to determine whether or not he opts out.

I do think it's almost a foregone Chris Paul will opt out and other teams will make him offers. The Suns may be at this point in the negotiations right now.

Talking about a free agent contract would be be on very shaky ground.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I do think it's almost a foregone Chris Paul will opt out and other teams will make him offers. The Suns may be at this point in the negotiations right now.

Talking about free agent contracts at this point may be on very shaky ground.

Then best to say he can't talk about it. I loved the rest of the Sarver interview, but the repeated references to the decision being in Chris Paul's hands, combined with the "family decision" reference, tell me that L.A. is very much in the picture for his services.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then best to say he can't talk about it. I loved the rest of the Sarver interview, but the repeated references to the decision being in Chris Paul's hands, combined with the "family decision" reference, tell me that L.A. is very much in the picture for his services.

I think Sarver was the most optimistic when talking about Cam Payne and he gave Monty much of the credit for the idea of signing him.

One thing I thought was a mistake by ownership and management was not realizing when they signed Chris Paul their window was NOW and especially not realizing it at the trade deadline. Also I hope the Suns considered buyout players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sarver is a billionaire and people like that don't discuss what they can't do. Theyre not accustomed to there being things they can't do. So Sarver sidestepping questions with that sort of response is not what I'd expect from him.

As far as the family decision there is one for Paul. He's likely to finish his career here if we extend him, or sign him to a new deal. Will he bring his family here or continue to bounce back and forth? It makes sense he didn't move them to OKC when he was there because its OKC for one and it wasn't likely he'd be there more than a season. However he's gotten to know Phoenix and its similar to LA in some ways so he has to determine their future for the next 3 years as much as his own. I imagine that has been something he's been thinking about for a while.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver is a billionaire and people like that don't discuss what they can't do. Theyre not accustomed to there being things they can't do. So Sarver sidestepping questions with that sort of response is not what I'd expect from him.

As far as the family decision there is one for Paul. He's likely to finish his career here if we extend him, or sign him to a new deal. Will he bring his family here or continue to bounce back and forth? It makes sense he didn't move them to OKC when he was there because its OKC for one and it wasn't likely he'd be there more than a season. However he's gotten to know Phoenix and its similar to LA in some ways so he has to determine their future for the next 3 years as much as his own. I imagine that has been something he's been thinking about for a while.

I didn't think he was all that close to being a billionaire? Is that including estimated value of the franchise if it's sold?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think he was all that close to being a billionaire? Is that including estimated value of the franchise if it's sold?

I imagine he's worth a billion considering his stake in the Suns.

My main point was he's insanely rich and not used to being told what he can and can't do at this point in his life, especially focusing on what he can't in a public interview. There's not much he can't do considering his wealth.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I messed around with the Sham Sports Capulator.

The Suns are in a great spot if they can sign CP3 to the rumored 3/90 deal.

Then they can in theory sign Noel to the full MLE and renounce everybody but Payne and Craig. At that point we'd be about $18.5M under the luxury tax line so that should be more than enough to sign those guys and stay under the LT.

Obviously some of the other guys like Frank, Moore, and Nader could be squeezed in under the LT. We also have the biannual and a possible injured player exemption from Dario that could allow us to exceed the cap with non-Bird rights players. But it seems the LT is a hard line we won't be crossing.

We'll be in cap hell in 2023 though with likely extensions for Ayton and Bridges.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
CP3 opted out. Hoping the rumored 3 yr $90mil deal is confirmed tomorrow evening and signed on the 6th

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding to the above, a connection between Jarrett Jack, Chris Paul and Monty williams.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy 27th Birthday Cam Payne!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to Gina Mizell.

She will now be covering the 76ers for the The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Congratulations to Gina Mizell.

She will now be covering the 76ers for the The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Though I’m not interested enough to read her column, it will be interesting to see if she can be tough enough for the ohilly market having been professionally raised in AZ.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though I’m not interested enough to read her column, it will be interesting to see if she can be tough enough for the ohilly market having been professionally raised in AZ.

I'm just glad she landed on her feet.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Kinda sad they ditched the girl who helped build up the Suns media and in game presence for Gina, and now Gina is bailing. I guess life isn't fair.