Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not pretend like Bobby Portis didn't also have a good amount of baggage as well. He had gotten in a fight with a teammate in the past that lead to a serious injury. We don't know if that was entirely his fault or not but that's a lot to ignore for a young impressionable team trying to establish a new culture.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point was that the Suns had every opportunity to sign him last offseason for next to nothing and didn't even try...which means there is no chance they try now.

According to Portis, he turned down far more money from the Knicks to sign with the Bucks. If he is telling the truth then we were never going to sign him. And regardless, signing him and Crowder seems like an impossibility.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last summer the Bucks we’re a MUCH better destination than the Suns.
This. The Suns reputation is much better after Chris Paul and the Suns getting to the finals. People might want to play here now knowing we were that close.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Wow, if Sarver wanted to lower expectations, he did a great job in that interview on 98.7.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, if Sarver wanted to lower expectations, he did a great job in that interview on 98.7.
What was interesting is that the media was making it sound like Chris's player option and opting out was a foregone conclusion. Sarver sounded as if he doesn't know what is going on with Chris?!?!! That can't be the case right?

The Suns would have to know how much cap space they are playing with right now.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What was interesting is that the media was making it sound like Chris's player option and opting out was a foregone conclusion. Sarver sounded as if he doesn't know what is going on with Chris?!?!! That can't be the case right?

The Suns would have to know how much cap space they are playing with right now.
Yeah, his lack of info and evasion was disturbing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, his lack of info and evasion was disturbing.
I feel much better if he was evading. If they seriously have not had discussion with Chris's team? That would be truly disturbing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without having listened to the interview as yet, I think that is a safe answer by Robert Sarver because contract negotiations have not been finalized with Chris Paul.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel much better if he was evading. If they seriously have not had discussion with Chris's team? That would be truly disturbing.
I've reached the point where I can't stand to listen to these kind of interviews (it's just wasted time, I prefer racing through a write-up instead) but I went ahead anyway because of some of the concerns mentioned here. And now, I'm wondering what in the world you guys wanted him to say?

I thought it was an almost perfect interview. He was optimistic but realistic. He spoke about what he could but acknowledged that ultimately, Chris and Payne were in control in that they were unrestricted free agents.

He made it very clear that he wants both of them back and stopped just short of cutting his own throat when Burns asked him if there was anything at all that he wouldn't do to bring Paul back. Stupid question but at least Sarver didn't put his foot in his mouth with his response.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've reached the point where I can't stand to listen to these kind of interviews (it's just wasted time, I prefer racing through a write-up instead) but I went ahead anyway because of some of the concerns mentioned here. And now, I'm wondering what in the world you guys wanted him to say?

I thought it was an almost perfect interview. He was optimistic but realistic. He spoke about what he could but acknowledged that ultimately, Chris and Payne were in control in that they were unrestricted free agents.

He made it very clear that he wants both of them back and stopped just short of cutting his own throat when Burns asked him if there was anything at all that he wouldn't do to bring Paul back. Stupid question but at least Sarver didn't put his foot in his mouth with his response.

I concur with this, and I found the first segment and the very end of the second segment very encouraging. Sarver's disappointment in not winning it all, his hunger for a championship, and his willingness to do whatever it takes (including paying the luxury tax) to bring one to Phoenix, particularly in light of his appreciation for the city and the fans, were quite palpable.

In addition, Sarver recognized, rightfully so, that this team's biggest need is size up front. He also seemed inclined to want to see Ayton and Bridges take that next step before doling out big money extensions to them, something I wholeheartedly support, especially with Ayton.

As for Chris Paul, it seems that Sarver has learned his lesson and is leaving the negotiations to the basketball people. That being said, the one concern I do have is the reference to Chris Paul having a "family decision" to make. This tells me that the Clippers and especially the Lakers indeed are in play and in fact are the most likely thing that would keep Chris Paul from returning to the Suns next season, along with perhaps Chris Paul asking for an exhorbitant contract extension (say, 3 years, $150 million).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I concur with this, and I found the first segment and the very end of the second segment very encouraging. Server's disappointment in not winning it all, his hunger for a championship, and his willingness to do whatever it takes (including paying the luxury tax) to bring one to Phoenix, particularly in light of his appreciation for the city and the fans, were quite palpable.

In addition, Sarver recognized, rightfully so, that this team's biggest need is size up front. He also seemed inclined to want to see Ayton and Bridges take that next step before doling out big money extensions to them, something I wholeheartedly support, especially with Ayton.

As for Chris Paul, it seems that Sarver has learned his lesson and is leaving the negotiations to the basketball people. That being said, the one concern I do have is the reference to Chris Paul having a "family decision" to make. This tells me that the Clippers and especially the Lakers indeed are in play and in fact are the most likely thing that would keep Chris Paul from returning to the Suns next season, along with perhaps Chris Paul asking for an exhorbitant contract extension (say, 3 years, $150 million).

Also if Chris Paul opts out he will become a free agent.

Negotiations do not even begin for free agents until August 2nd so Robert Sarver is doing a balancing act to comply with NBA rules when he speaks to the media.

Free agent signings do not begin until August 6th.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I concur with this, and I found the first segment and the very end of the second segment very encouraging. Server's disappointment in not winning it all, his hunger for a championship, and his willingness to do whatever it takes (including paying the luxury tax) to bring one to Phoenix, particularly in light of his appreciation for the city and the fans, were quite palpable.

For $50m a year? Peace.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also if Chris Paul opts out he will become a free agent.

Negotiations do not even begin for free agents until August 2nd so Robert Sarver is doing a balancing act to comply with NBA rules when he speaks to the media.

Free agent signings do not begin until August 6th.

The Suns currently have an exclusive negotiating window, though, to determine whether or not he opts out.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns currently have an exclusive negotiating window, though, to determine whether or not he opts out.
I believe that is accurate. Until he opts out he is under contract with the Suns and they can talk to him all they want.