Suns @ Knicks Monday game thread 1-2-2023

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When no one can hit a basket Monty’s refusal to put Washington in early is just plain bizarre! Why do we bother having shooters on the bench if you’re not gonna play them when we need a damn basket? And CP3 playing 30 minutes in a game like this is beyond stupid as well run Payne and D Wash and see what can develop. Paul -38 on the floor what a complete joke what the **** is Monty watching???
I was thinking the same late in the game and then came to the conclusion we were getting blown out today even if monty put Washington in because we weren’t playing with any effort.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same late in the game and then came to the conclusion we were getting blown out today even if monty put Washington in because we weren’t playing with any effort.

Playing Washington playing wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game but it showed Monty's unwillingness to make changes when things aren't working. We have seen this story before.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned the Suns GM may have waited too long to make a move. This downward spiral has snowballed.
What kind of move fixes this team? For some reason, CP3 and Bridges are MIA and Ayton ain't far behind. Booker is out. Crowder isn't playing. CamJ is out. Biyombo is out. CamP played okay for just returning from injury but Shamet looked like he was shooting at an 8 foot rim with a 7 foot ceiling.

Every now and then I get hopeful thinking that time will heal all our wounds, JJ will trade (not-in-use) assets for Kyle Kuzma and this team will be right back in the hunt for a championship. But then there's games like today where we were down 52 to 20 and I give up all hope for this season. At times like this, it seems to me looking towards future years makes far more sense than investing in this season.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This might be the worst offensive team ever assembled without Booker. Nobody can dribble aggressively to the basket. Mikal and DA are wimps. CP3 is beyond washed. Torrey Craig is and end of the bench player at best. Ugly.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This team has just gotten crushed too many times at this point for me to believe Monty can still get them to play hard night in, night out.

Me thinks with new ownership, a new coach is on his way in the off-season where there could be a ton of changes.

People want to keep bringing up GS had bad stretches last year or Boston, but we do NOT have the talent of that Boston team or the title tested resolve of GS… in fact, this team has shown multiple times in the last two years that when squeezed in ultra pressure do or die moments, they completely collapse, losing 4 straight to the Bucks and 4 of 5 to the Mavericks, in humiliating fashion with Dallas.
I grudgingly agree with this… but I’ll add that another huge factor here is CP3… The Suns are relying on a relic to lead the offense, indeed the team.
He can’t. It’s obvious, painfully so.
The rest of the team is off and have lost their rhythm on both ends of the court. The team doesn’t have a single player who can step into the leadership vacuum created by CP3. Guys like Ayton, Bridges, Payne, Craig are way too inconsistent and possess nothing in the way of leadership.
And I love Book… but I don’t think he alone can fix all that is broken with this team.
Jones is gonna have to make some fairly dramatic moves. I expect Ayton will be gone come mid/late January.
And hopefully the Crowder situation will be resolved in some productive fashion.
We’ll see… but if these changes don’t happen, I think it’s safe to suggest this team won’t be a playoff team this year…

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of move fixes this team? For some reason, CP3 and Bridges are MIA and Ayton ain't far behind. Booker is out. Crowder isn't playing. CamJ is out. Biyombo is out. CamP played okay for just returning from injury but Shamet looked like he was shooting at an 8 foot rim with a 7 foot ceiling.

Every now and then I get hopeful thinking that time will heal all our wounds, JJ will trade (not-in-use) assets for Kyle Kuzma and this team will be right back in the hunt for a championship. But then there's games like today where we were down 52 to 20 and I give up all hope for this season. At times like this, it seems to me looking towards future years makes far more sense than investing in this season.

With Devin Booker out, the Suns window looks to be closed.

The Suns had a chance to strengthen the roster before he went out so they might be able to tread water until his return. Now that opportunity appears gone and the team is in free fall. I don't want Booker trying to carry the team alone when he returns and risk further injury.

My trust in James Jones as a GM is waning. It looks like any moves now may be too little, too late.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty and CP3 are now what’s killing this team. Monty’s refusal to adjust is beyond amazing.

CP3 is just not a fit anymore he’s way way to slow to be out there with our kid 20s core guys. We’re young and athletic and it’s obvious he can’t play that way. He slows this team to a snails pace. We should be fast getting in space and it’s just happening. Monty refuses to acknowledge this.

I think it’s now at the point the young guys are rolling their eyes at Monty and CP3. Like dude this isn’t working.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free throw disparity is only a symptom of the problem. Eventually one has to ask why.

It's the way the team is built and how it plays.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Free throw disparity is only a symptom of the problem. Eventually one has to ask why.

We don’t attack we don’t have anyone that can get by and drive to the lane we settle for jumpers and 3s and when that’s not working we just keep chucking up bricks

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don’t attack we don’t have anyone that can get by and drive to the lane we settle for jumpers and 3s and when that’s not working we just keep chucking up bricks

Of course, the opposing team knows this as well.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He’s so passive it’s amazing

“That’s all I’m gonna say about that”- Monty

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s so passive it’s amazing

“That’s all I’m gonna say about that”- Monty

Monty would be fined if he said more. However, he designs the style of play and James Jones provides the players.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty would be fined if he said more. However, he designs the style of play and James Jones provides the players.

Get a damn fine!!!!! Never bothered Pop or Phil or any other self respecting coach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Correct. It’s not hard to swallow, Monty. You’re team doesn’t play aggressively. This isn’t news.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I've had just about my fill of both Monty and James Jones. They both seem to be obstinate beyond belief. We still have a chance to develop a consistent winning tradition here in Phoenix again, but I think it's going to take moving on to a new personnel and coaching philosophy. Hopefully, the new ownership will get wise to that sooner rather than later.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Monty and CP3 are now what’s killing this team. Monty’s refusal to adjust is beyond amazing.

CP3 is just not a fit anymore he’s way way to slow to be out there with our kid 20s core guys. We’re young and athletic and it’s obvious he can’t play that way. He slows this team to a snails pace. We should be fast getting in space and it’s just happening. Monty refuses to acknowledge this.

I think it’s now at the point the young guys are rolling their eyes at Monty and CP3. Like dude this isn’t working.
I don’t mind CP’s pace if he’s making shots which isn’t the case anymore. The advanced stats loved him his first two years here but now it’s gotten ugly. He can’t get shots off against good defense without borderline traveling at this point.

I’m giving JJ till the deadline given the ownership issues but we probably missed the boat last summer to squire a game changer. It should’ve been SGA, Dejounte or Halliburton (or Mitchell).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t mind CP’s pace if he’s making shots which isn’t the case anymore. The advanced stats loved him his first two years here but now it’s gotten ugly. He can’t get shots off against good defense without borderline traveling at this point.

I’m giving JJ till the deadline given the ownership issues but we probably missed the boat last summer to squire a game changer. It should’ve been SGA, Dejounte or Halliburton (or Mitchell).

The biggest tell is his clutch stats. They’ve fallen off a cliff.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to play .500 basketball until Booker returns. With the current roster, this looks like a tall mountain to climb.

Even then, the Suns would need to improve their roster... same old needs... ball handler/shooter and a power forward. Suns have to be able to get to the basket and rebound.

What happened to the defense?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You heard it from someone in a position to know...that his team has started rolling over.
Yeah but Ayton is the last guy in the damn team that should be questioning effort! Max center can’t freaking rebound and is standing around half the time. If he put in max effort he might be worth that contract right now he’s a ******* joke!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was aware of the hypocrisy, yeah. It's just that it was a tangential issue to me. The fact that Ayton needs to look in a mirror doesn't mean there isn't a team-wide lack of heart. If anyone wants to deny that after yesterday's ridiculous and insulting game, they are on increasingly shaky ground.
Oh I agree but even yesterday Ayton would be the least aggressive and lazy player on our team! Most of our guys are hustling but shots not falling. And D wash, Lee, Akobie all should be getting more minutes as well. Monte and his goofy handling of the rotations are bizarre as ever…

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not sure if it was Robinson or fan made but savage nonetheless. Between the towel squats, handstands and goofy warm up shots I wouldn’t be surprised if more bigs start going at him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose