Suns @ Kings Friday game thread 3-24-2023

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be stupid to fire Monty Williams. Just like it was stupid to Fire D'Antoni.
I credit him for changing the game for the better, but I was so glad when they canned him. I thought that team was much better with gentry coaching

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wasn't even a huge fan of his, but the team sucked no matter who their coach was after him. The team just wasn't very good.

Monty Williams has proven that he is likely good enough to win a championship and therefore I think it would be dumb to fire him. It's not like he's too old and past his prime like a player. They should just keep him for the next 20 years.

Good coaches can lose lots of games if their players suck (see the Spurs).
If you’re referring to the year of the finals he still has willie green as a lead bench coach. I haven’t seen anything impressive from an X’s and O’s perspective since then.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who want Monty fired, should James Jones be fired as well or does he get a pass for some reason? I'm curious. IMO Jones should go before Monty since he's the one responsible for providing talent for Monty to coach and he's done an awful job of that over the last year and a half.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who want Monty fired, should James Jones be fired as well or does he get a pass for some reason? I'm curious. IMO Jones should go before Monty since he's the one responsible for providing talent for Monty to coach and he's done an awful job of that over the last year and a half.
I have no idea how much blame should fall on JJ, with Sarver involved anything is possible. And maybe I read it wrong but I figured JJ's promotion was with the intention of putting in a new GM anyway. Of course, with the reaction I'm sure Ishbia's plans to put Isiah Thomas there are at least temporarily on hold but either way I don't see JJ surviving for long.

Personally I don't put much of the blame on JJ but I'm in favor of a replacement anyway. He had an uphill battle to do that job with Sarver in charge. My concern though is his belief that it was a 9 to 5 job, I just don't think you can do that job as well if everyone else is putting in 12 hour days.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Monty because he’s shown a pattern for the last three years and still fails in the same areas we all complaint about game in and game out.

JJ gets a pass for now because he’s had a frugal boss, then the new guy jumps in and most likely pulled the trigger on the KD trade. With deeper pockets JJ may have some more wiggle room to work with.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I have no idea how much blame should fall on JJ, with Sarver involved anything is possible. And maybe I read it wrong but I figured JJ's promotion was with the intention of putting in a new GM anyway. Of course, with the reaction I'm sure Ishbia's plans to put Isiah Thomas there are at least temporarily on hold but either way I don't see JJ surviving for long.

Personally I don't put much of the blame on JJ but I'm in favor of a replacement anyway. He had an uphill battle to do that job with Sarver in charge. My concern though is his belief that it was a 9 to 5 job, I just don't think you can do that job as well if everyone else is putting in 12 hour days.
Amazing to continue to hear all this talk about who should be fired, JJ or Monty…
My o My how times have changed. Wasn’t all that long ago when this franchise was beyond putrid and deemed one of the worst in the association. All Monty and JJ have done is field a highly competitive team that has put up more W’s over the past 3 years than the 95% of the rest of the league. But somehow, for fans of the Suns, a team that was literally pulled from the ashes by JJ and Monty, that ain’t good enough. Amazing…

IMHO, the clock starts anew now that the KD trade has been made. JJ needs to now re-tool the team to adjust and more properly support KD. And Monty will have to adjust his coaching to account for KD, what that means for Book and Ayton… along with an ever-aging CP3…

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a clean sweep.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think they both should go. I’m frankly not impressed with jones. I was early in his time here. But I don’t think he’s spun any magic in a while and I’m not home with his seemingly eschewing young talent and scouting. I think he’s an average, at best, GM.

And mind you, I don’t think monty sucks. I actually think he’s a good coach. But I think when a team bangs on the door for multiple seasons and doesn’t get over the hump you need a new voice. New ideas. Many good coaches just never become championship coaches. I think monty fits the description.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they both should go. I’m frankly not impressed with jones. I was early in his time here. But I don’t think he’s spun any magic in a while and I’m not home with his seemingly eschewing young talent and scouting. I think he’s an average, at best, GM.

And mind you, I don’t think monty sucks. I actually think he’s a good coach. But I think when a team bangs on the door for multiple seasons and doesn’t get over the hump you need a new voice. New ideas. Many good coaches just never become championship coaches. I think monty fits the description.
I want to know whichever Suns employee supported the idea you don't need to prepare for the draft nor develop players after you draft them. If that was all JJ, I hope he gets hired by the Lakers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Amazing to continue to hear all this talk about who should be fired, JJ or Monty…
My o My how times have changed. Wasn’t all that long ago when this franchise was beyond putrid and deemed one of the worst in the association. All Monty and JJ have done is field a highly competitive team that has put up more W’s over the past 3 years than the 95% of the rest of the league. But somehow, for fans of the Suns, a team that was literally pulled from the ashes by JJ and Monty, that ain’t good enough. Amazing…

IMHO, the clock starts anew now that the KD trade has been made. JJ needs to now re-tool the team to adjust and more properly support KD. And Monty will have to adjust his coaching to account for KD, what that means for Book and Ayton… along with an ever-aging CP3…
Eh, JJ inherited book, Ayton, bridges. And Chris Paul navigated his way to Phoenix. There was no JJ magic there. What he gets the most credit for imo is cam Johnson. And identifying some scrap heap guys that became contributors like Payne, ish, okogie.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Only Paul has regressed, which was to be expected. Booker, Bridges and Cam all were having career years. We were 13-4 with Bridges and Cam in the lineup, we were 15-6 prior to getting obliterated by the injury bug, as the team started getting healthy again we were 9-2 leading up to the deadline.

Almost all of our problems, all year long, were because of injury.
easy schedule

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the fire JJ talk one bit. Yes, he wasn't aggressive after the season was over and seems to be happy with a bunch of Tweeners but I put more of that on Sarver and what he was willing to do than JJ. I am fine with JJ for now. Same goes with Monty. Look, his adjustments are slower than molasses and his stubbornness IMO has cost us but he hasn't played with a full deck with KD. Monty is on the cliff for me but I am not ready to say goodbye just yet. I would by lying though if I said he was not close for me. Especially, with stuff like sticking with Okogie and doing nothing.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you’re referring to the year of the finals he still has willie green as a lead bench coach. I haven’t seen anything impressive from an X’s and O’s perspective since then.
The Suns won 64 games after Green left. Yes, they lost in the playoffs. But the fact is no suns coach has ever won 64 games, no Suns coach has ever had a lead in the finals. If they fire Monty Williams its much more likely they'll hire the next Terry Porter rather than the next Steve Kerr.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns won 64 games after Green left. Yes, they lost in the playoffs. But the fact is no suns coach has ever won 64 games, no Suns coach has ever had a lead in the finals. If they fire Monty Williams its much more likely they'll hire the next Terry Porter rather than the next Steve Kerr.
Fair point. Although if they fire Monty (unlikely IMO) I think it's far more likely to be Bill Laimbeer than Terry Porter coming in next.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That is a distinct possibility. Yes. I would trust them to make a move if they were confident in the move, not just to fire monty. They would have to think they found a Kerr or a jackson. I’m not stumping for replacing monty just to fire monty.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fire Monty Williams

Fire Monty Williams

Fire Monty Williams

Fire Monty Williams

Wait, I'm not saying we should fire Monty Williams
We will fire Monty Williams. It's just a question of when. If it happens before the end of next season I think it would be a minor PR blunder for an organization that doesn't need any more bad press. If it doesn't happen for 10 or more years, it's probably because he led us to a title or two.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will fire Monty Williams. It's just a question of when. If it happens before the end of next season I think it would be a minor PR blunder for an organization that doesn't need any more bad press. If it doesn't happen for 10 more years, it's a safe bet he led us to a title or two.
Maybe. I can see if everything implodes and next season doesn't work out either they start with a clean slate. They better have a good candidate to follow though. Not a fan of firing a coach without trying to get a better one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose